2022 Festival

21 minutes ago, Benj said:

Will be a lot cheaper and easier to see RATM at Reading and Arrdee on tour. 

That said, as covered above, if you don’t like what you hear from RATM, don’t go see them as loads of nerds of the internet say you should, go see Arrdee with your mates, jump around and have some fun, that’s what festivals are about, not ticking off ‘legendary’ bands

I like some of their music, and so do some of my pals who aren’t going to RandL, so would definitely get more out of seeing them at their own thing. That said, I might go by myself for a couple tunes just in case a future tour in the UK/Europe doesn’t happen. But yeah completely agree, for a festival, for me at least (and I know others will totally disagree) I’m not so into the heavier music at all. 

That would be an interesting ask - Which big bands have you missed to catch someone else you wanted to see more

(Reading only list. Some of these I saw the start of the bigger act before leaving for the tent)

Jimmy Page and Robert Plant  - Super Furry Animals

Beastie Boys - Bentley Rhythm Ace

RHCP - Mansun

Linkin Park - Polyphonic Spree (not the best choice really!)

Pixies - Kasabian

Iron Maiden - Bloc Party

Metallica - The Cribs

Arctic Monkeys - The Gossip

GNR - Phoenix [this one I didn’t actually do, thanks to my stupid friends but wish I did, GnR were unsurprisingly shit and I’ve still never seen Phoenix]

The Cure - Macabees 

Libertines - Frank Turner

Eminem - British Sea Power

Liam Gallagher (if he counts, probably not) - Girl in Red

Edited by Benj

8 minutes ago, stanh said:

I like some of their music, and so do some of my pals who aren’t going to RandL, so would definitely get more out of seeing them at their own thing. That said, I might go by myself for a couple tunes just in case a future tour in the UK/Europe doesn’t happen. But yeah completely agree, for a festival, for me at least (and I know others will totally disagree) I’m not so into the heavier music at all. 

They play a short set but you’ll be able to catch a bit of them and still see all

of Ardee 

14 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Been thinking about who we might get added to the Main Stages on each day: 

Dave - nobody (lineup full) 

Megan - Vistas 

AM - Inhaler 

BMTH - Dinosaur Pile-Up & Wargasm 

RATM - Bob Vylan 

Halsey - Alfie Templeman & Bloxx

The other two days have a special guest so I think it’d be cool for the RATM & Halsey day to get one too. Central Cee or Don Broco, maybe. 

Inhaler were super lucklustre last year, would be a shame to waste one of the few slots available these days on them

Again a band that I imagine would benefit from a late slot in the R1 to an appreciative crowd, rather than looking anonymous on the main stage at 4pm, 70% of the people there not giving a fuck

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

I missed Cypress Hill in 2010 in favour of one of the lads I went with’s car so he could get a sandwich out of his boot. I was a fucking idiot. 

🤣

1 minute ago, Benj said:

Inhaler were super lucklustre last year, would be a shame to waste one of the few slots available these days on them

Again a band that I imagine would benefit from a late slot in the R1 to an appreciative crowd, rather than looking anonymous on the main stage at 4pm, 70% of the people there not giving a fuck

I don’t know anything of Inhaler but know they’re popular with the dark fruits lot so I just whacked them in. The Reytons, maybe? Another generic dark fruits band but people seem to like them. Probably working class lads who haven’t forgotten where they’re from, or whatever bollcoks makes the DF Gang flock to these kind of acts. 

23 minutes ago, Benj said:

That would be an interesting ask - Which big bands have you missed to catch someone else you wanted to see more

The main one that sticks in mind is missing Gallows so I could see Nine Inch Nails and then again seeing Manic Street Preachers the next year. My mates all went off to see Gallows so I saw NIN and Manics on my own. I don't regret it as NIN were fucking superb and I had seen Gallows loads already (I saw them 20ish times when Frank was with them) but my mates came back with stories of their antics so I did feel like I missed out.

The biggest regret at any festival I have ever had is not seeing Childish Gambino at Wireless so I could see Metric instead.

Edited by jump

19 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I don’t know anything of Inhaler but know they’re popular with the dark fruits lot so I just whacked them in. The Reytons, maybe? Another generic dark fruits band but people seem to like them. Probably working class lads who haven’t forgotten where they’re from, or whatever bollcoks makes the DF Gang flock to these kind of acts. 

Inhaler have a different crowd I’d say, much younger than the likes of The Reytons. I wouldn’t really say they’re a ‘dark fruits’ sounding band either, they use a lot of 80s sounds/synths.

A bit like U2 really, and Inhaler’s lead singer is Bono’s son.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Megan - Vistas 

AM - Inhaler 

RATM - Bob Vylan 

The other two days have a special guest so I think it’d be cool for the RATM & Halsey day to get one too. Central Cee or Don Broco, maybe. 

I’d take a special guest slot from MGK, Limp Bizkit or Broco on the RATM day. Would certainly up the main stages on those days to get one or two of those. 

7 hours ago, Benj said:

Assuming we have the same top 3, who do we think would be headlining the R1 this year if we still had the old format?

Below would be some good counter programming options I think

Dave - Everything Everything

AM - Little Simz

RATM - Becky Hill

I dread to think of that Becky Hill crowd in the tent, she had one of the biggest crowds at the main stage last year

1 hour ago, bleeegghh said:

Only clash Ive ever regretted was going to see ratboy over idles in 2017, Idles are my top artist now and I would have been able to see them when they still played well done and can barely stand most ratboy these days

Remember when RATBOY supported Liam Gallagher's tour? Who the fuck let that happen?

20 minutes ago, Jayden2304 said:

Saw Creeper tonight, if they end up headlining the pit I am genuinely considering seeing them over arctic monkeys, they where amazing. 

Creeper are my favourite band at the moment. Every song is a banger and their stage show is second to none at the level they are

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Inhaler are fronted by Bono’s son. Deffo had a tough life and hard slog up the music industry 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jump said:

The main one that sticks in mind is missing Gallows so I could see Nine Inch Nails and then again seeing Manic Street Preachers the next year. My mates all went off to see Gallows so I saw NIN and Manics on my own. I don't regret it as NIN were fucking superb and I had seen Gallows loads already (I saw them 20ish times when Frank was with them) but my mates came back with stories of their antics so I did feel like I missed out.

The biggest regret at any festival I have ever had is not seeing Childish Gambino at Wireless so I could see Metric instead.

NIN and the Manics are miles bigger than Gallows. 

Childish Gambino for Metric though 🤦‍♀️

55 minutes ago, Komaric said:

I dread to think of that Becky Hill crowd in the tent, she had one of the biggest crowds at the main stage last year

There was no competition last year. Half that crowd could’ve effed off to see Ardeee or whoever if he was on on the R1 at the same time…

2 hours ago, bleeegghh said:

Only clash Ive ever regretted was going to see ratboy over idles in 2017, Idles are my top artist now and I would have been able to see them when they still played well done and can barely stand most ratboy these days

Ooof. 

*polishes Idles 2017 badge*

another that would’ve been 2/3rds less like to be billed if there’s been the 2 main stage thing back then

Edited by Benj

Ratboy! I remember him. He was another one who was pushed on us. He was awful, wasn’t he? I saw him supporting The 1975 on their second album tour back in 2016(ish) and Ratboy put on one of the worst sets I’ve ever seen. Thank god he’s gone away. 

Hopefully Wargasm go the same way. 

11 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Megan - Vistas 

AM - Inhaler 

RATM - Bob Vylan 

Spied on Twitter that Wargasm seemingly confirmed they won’t be here this year, but would like to be back next year. Would have fit well on that day though 

11 hours ago, Benj said:

(Reading only list. Some of these I saw the start of the bigger act before leaving for the tent)

RHCP - Mansun

Pixies - Kasabian

Iron Maiden - Bloc Party

Metallica - The Cribs

GNR - Phoenix [this one I didn’t actually do, thanks to my stupid friends but wish I did, GnR were unsurprisingly shit and I’ve still never seen Phoenix]

The Cure - Macabees 

For me I watched (Reading only, no other festivals) the following over headliners;

Lostprophets over Radiohead (09)

Marina & the Diamonds over Guns N’ Roses (10) 

The Maccabees over The Cure (12) 

Feeder over Kasabian (12) 

Courteeners over QOTSA (14)

New Found Glory over Mumford & Sons (15) 

I also didn’t watch anyone over Arctic Monkeys in 2009 or Stormzy last year. I don’t regret any of my choices, I did used to regret not seeing The Cure but I’ve since seen them. My biggest regrets about watching another act at a festival was watching Enter Shikari and Ash over Bruce Springsteen and Tom Petty at IOW 2012 as I’ll never see those acts. 

11 hours ago, Benj said:

RHCP - Mansun

Pixies - Kasabian

Iron Maiden - Bloc Party

Metallica - The Cribs

The Cure - Macabees 

Chose Papa Roach over Pendulum in 2018, and the fact the former toured in 2019 made me regret my decision a little bit

Also picked Bowling For Soup over The 1975 in 2019, and the crowd at BFS was full of absolute knob heads. So much so I almost wished I’d seen The 1975 (plus I heard they put on a great show)