2022 Festival

30 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Brad made the same point as me, you agreed with him and disagreed with me in the same response.

You are completely misrepresenting what I said. The majority of R&L demographic are youngers who have just finished GCSEs or A Levels and are going for a piss up with mates, they haven't really developed a musical taste at that age. They want to see who they perceive to be the most popular act because its the one all the kids in school listen to, and they listen to it based on how many people have heard of them. In 2017 J Hus and Anne Marie were the biggest crowds I saw, save for the headliners. They weren't the best acts there, but they appealed to the kids because the chance to say "I saw them live" when everyone else at school just plays the tracks at the back of the bus.

So again, I'm not using the Spotify streams a  metric to define popularity, I'm saying that kids that age will en masse prefer to go to an artist they perceive as more popular, otherwise theyd just go to a normal gig.

Giggs, a huge British hip hop artist with a more niche appeal played against J Hus who had a Radio 1 song "did you see". J Hus packed his tent out, Giggs I walked to the front of the main stage. He brought Drake out for 1 song and the R1 tent emptied for the chance to see and film Drake stood on stage for 3 minutes.

What are you talking about? 

‘Ooh, Inhaler are playing, I really like them. Can’t go and see them though, I better go along to see jxdn instead because I heard Ella in Science talking about him. Can’t wait to tell her that I saw him even though I’m not going to the same college as her in September.’ 

Edited by Andre91

A girl in my Year 10 class went to see Dave on Saturday and took some videos for me because she knows I like him. She was singing along (rapping along) to every single word in every single video. At least I now know that was because she just wanted to go and see Dave because he’s really popular with other kids in school. Not that she genuinely likes him or anything. 

Believe it or not, kids like all different kinds of music for all different reasons (like any human). Liking something purely because you know other kids like it is just one small reason. I got into Slipknot when I was 12/13 because one of my mates was massively into them. I’ve been to see them numerous times, own merch and records. If someone asked me why I like Slipknot, replying with ‘Because my mate Ben in Year 8 liked them’ isn’t going to be the first thing out of my mouth, whether it was at the time or now. 

I think is one of your more questionable takes. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

Brad made the same point as me, you agreed with him and disagreed with me in the same response.

You are completely misrepresenting what I said. The majority of R&L demographic are youngers who have just finished GCSEs or A Levels and are going for a piss up with mates, they haven't really developed a musical taste at that age. They want to see who they perceive to be the most popular act because its the one all the kids in school listen to, and they listen to it based on how many people have heard of them. In 2017 J Hus and Anne Marie were the biggest crowds I saw, save for the headliners. They weren't the best acts there, but they appealed to the kids because the chance to say "I saw them live" when everyone else at school just plays the tracks at the back of the bus.

So again, I'm not using the Spotify streams a  metric to define popularity, I'm saying that kids that age will en masse prefer to go to an artist they perceive as more popular, otherwise theyd just go to a normal gig.

Giggs, a huge British hip hop artist with a more niche appeal played against J Hus who had a Radio 1 song "did you see". J Hus packed his tent out, Giggs I walked to the front of the main stage. He brought Drake out for 1 song and the R1 tent emptied for the chance to see and film Drake stood on stage for 3 minutes.

I'm unsure what the point is, J Hus has released two of the most critically acclaimed UK rap albums of the decade so of course he had a big crowd. Maybe more people just wanted to see him than Giggs, who is a legend but nowhere near as relevant anymore as J Hus 

10 hours ago, Dan Wilcox said:

These discussions about album sales, streams and TikTok are going around in circles. Y'all need some legit announcement info. 

Dan Wilcox Day[1] is a popular British tradition observed in Reading and Leeds on March 2. It derives from the Pennsylvania Dutch superstition that if Dan Wilcox emerges from its burrow on this day and sees its shadow due to clear weather, it will retreat to its den, and no lineup will go on for six more weeks; if it does not see its shadow because of cloudiness, the lineup will arrive early.

- wikipedia

• Upvote 1

20 names to consider 🤷‍♂️

R&L shaped holes in their tour:

BBNO$, Rex Orange County, Wombats, Frank Turner, Limp Bizkit, Kurupt FM

Pumped by R&L socials:

Don Broco

Playing festivals which share acts:

Inhaler, Creeper, Snuts, Mysterines, Princess Nokia, Yung Lean, Holly Humberstone, Nothing But Thieves, Anne-Marie

Not listed as exclusives elsewhere:

Central Cee, D-Block Europe, 6lack, Unknown T, A1 x J1

Edited by Chad888

limp bizkit would be a pretty outdated booking and a very disappointing sub for BMTH for 99% of attendees not registered on efestivals.co.uk

14 hours ago, Andre91 said:

A girl in my Year 10 class went to see Dave on Saturday and took some videos for me because she knows I like him. She was singing along (rapping along) to every single word in every single video. At least I now know that was because she just wanted to go and see Dave because he’s really popular with other kids in school. Not that she genuinely likes him or anything. 

This is ridiculous - can't believe you had to defend someone paying like £60 standing just to pose. I've seen so many people at Dave recently on my snapchat stories

this is crazy. I am 18. I know shit tons of people who went to see dave because they love him as an artist. The same with easy life and Loyle Carner and glass animals and Liam Gallagher and catfish and aj Tracey and even bloody wolf Alice and the vaccines (to name a few off the top of my head from recently). I live in Devon. In the middle of nowhere. People have to travel at least an hour to get to Plymouth or Bristol to see these acts - a lot of them further to Cardiff Birmingham London. A lot of them go to concerts once a month or so. It’s ridiculous to claim people my age would do this soley to take videos and show them to their fiends - especially when some people I know are spending pretty much all the money they have on these giggs. Just cause we’re young doesn’t mean we can’t have an individual music taste and like artists and actually go and see them live because we want to sing along

edit: dan pls just a small hint 

Edited by Will b
  • Upvote 7

Just now, iistroudley said:

Anyone else get an email through saying their payment wasn't accepted for the final part of the payment plan even though my card hasn't changed?

Yep just came to say the same thing. None of my instalments have come out on the 1st

7 hours ago, Chad888 said:

20 names to consider 🤷‍♂️

R&L shaped holes in their tour:

BBNO$, Rex Orange County, Wombats, Frank Turner, Limp Bizkit, Kurupt FM

Pumped by R&L socials:

Don Broco

Playing festivals which share acts:

Inhaler, Creeper, Snuts, Mysterines, Princess Nokia, Yung Lean, Holly Humberstone, Nothing But Thieves, Anne-Marie

Not listed as exclusives elsewhere:

Central Cee, D-Block Europe, 6lack, Unknown T, A1 x J1

Wombats can’t be there again can’t they?!?

I think them at Boardmasters rules them out, given they’ve played the last 18 festivals too. They shared a few last year though 😬

I just don’t see where they can fit on the lineup, esp when you’re adding Rex, Limp Bizkit, D-Block, Don Broco. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, iistroudley said:

Anyone else get an email through saying their payment wasn't accepted for the final part of the payment plan even though my card hasn't changed?

Glad it’s not just me came on to say the same thing despite having plenty of funds and my phone bill coming out literally at the same time

I was at Nme awards last night in the pit. There were 400 teenage bring me the horizon fans who definately knew what music they like! Yes reading has been a GCSE celebration festival for a long time, that doesn't mean they aren't intersted in the music. Years ago me and my mate were walking past the tent and could hear the crowd singing along, it was frankie and the heartstrings I'd never heard of them but the younger crowd knew every word. If teenagers didn't like music then yungblud wouldnt have a career! I went to my fist gig at 15, I stood at reading and watched ratm when I was 18 in 1993 and I'll do the same at the age of 47. I also want to see denzel curry, litlle simz and hope baby queen returns as I couldn't go last year

Bmth played 5 songs last night and were absolutely brilliant and Reading won best festival! 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Nick dp said:

I was at Nme awards last night in the pit. There were 400 teenage bring me the horizon fans who definately knew what music they like! Yes reading has been a GCSE celebration festival for a long time, that doesn't mean they aren't intersted in the music. Years ago me and my mate were walking past the tent and could hear the crowd singing along, it was frankie and the heartstrings I'd never heard of them but the younger crowd knew every word. If teenagers didn't like music then yungblud wouldnt have a career! I went to my fist gig at 15, I stood at reading and watched ratm when I was 18 in 1993 and I'll do the same at the age of 47. I also want to see denzel curry, litlle simz and hope baby queen returns as I couldn't go last year

Bmth played 5 songs last night and were absolutely brilliant and Reading won best festival! 

I don’t think people are saying there are not teens passionate about music, there are clearly many. 

I’d suggest they are in the minority at Reading though. It’s how it’s always been though and how it should. It’s not a beard stroker festival, it’s kids having fun, one of the main reasons the atmosphere is so good. 

the main issue on this board is that presently, the music kids like does not resonate with the prevailing tastes of the users here (me being one)

The field has cleared completely for the likes of the National and NIN in the past, certain bands not being appreciated is not new  

if heavyish rock was still the big thing, there would be far fewer complaints on here

32 minutes ago, iistroudley said:

31 minutes ago, robmongascy said:

Yep just came to say the same thing. None of my instalments have come out on the 1st

22 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Yeah, me and all my mates have all had the same email about the payment getting declined. 

19 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Glad it’s not just me came on to say the same thing despite having plenty of funds and my phone bill coming out literally at the same time

Same, me too

29 minutes ago, Nick dp said:

18 minutes ago, Benj said:

I don’t think people are saying there are not teens passionate about music, there are clearly many. 

I’d suggest they are in the minority at Reading though. It’s how it’s always been though and how it should. It’s not a beard stroker festival, it’s kids having fun, one of the main reasons the atmosphere is so good. 

the main issue on this board is that presently, the music kids like does not resonate with the prevailing tastes of the users here (me being one)

The field has cleared completely for the likes of the National and NIN in the past, certain bands not being appreciated is not new  

if heavyish rock was still the big thing, there would be far fewer complaints on here

You mightn't bother, everything you say is accurate but will get misrepresented and you will be strawmanned. 

This is just a group of music fans using their own niche metrics to prove there favourite band is most popular, whether that is sales, chart positions, or a show they put on having a lot of people in attendance. 

When it comes to it though, the majority of the people who post here are music fans whereas the demographic of R&L are young people more interested in getting drunk and celebrating finishing exams, and showing off on their Instagram story they got to watch some huge names. 

The majority of us here would look at the music listened to by the majority of R&L attendees and question what on earth it is, and their response would be  an eye-rolling "omg this is Hazey, as if you don't know, everyone listens to him, he's huge". If he played a festival, he would have a bigger audience of these 18 year old generic festival attendees than a niche band with a dedicated fanbase like Inhaler. If you go to a concert you will be a fan of that specific band, a festival is a different kettle of fish. People want to get drunk, see the big headliners, see somebody a little niche they love, but also follow the crowd for 'the gram'.

Here's another question for a slow news day... in just a couple of sentences, what's one of your favourite things about R/L?

I love that it's so many people's first festival. I think that makes it feel like such a big, relatable event, and everyone has memories of it good & bad.

Tell me one of yours!