2022 Festival

7 minutes ago, Brad75 said:

Didn't realise that they were on. No way my wife was going to miss that Kylie glasto appearance.

I love it at Glastonbury when a really massive artist who I aren’t interested in is playing.

It brings loads of people to the main stage and leaves plenty of room to wander around the site without crowds.

18 minutes ago, Komaric said:

The indie crowd do, it's why vinyl is having a massive resurgence. Inhaler got a number one album with 92% physical sales

Oh, I’m very aware that people still buy albums. The person I replied to said only days ago that record sales are meaningless because nobody buys albums anymore and now they’re saying that.

On 2/25/2022 at 9:52 PM, Andre91 said:

Nobody buys albums anymore. 

Its an expression. 

Potential Spotify downloaders doesn't have the same ring to it.

Inhaler got a number 1 album despite selling 30% of the average number 1 album sales in 2016.

Physical album sales are just 2% of what they were 20 years ago.

The majority of people at Reading and Leeds this year that are legally drinking, since the day they were born have streamed music on to an iPod and have never possessed a physical CD.

Clinging on to this notion is akin to people in the 90's talking about the most purchased cassette tape.

It’s really great to see smaller uk bands/acts get number 1 albums however, I do agree with what’s been said that the majority aren’t buying physical albums anymore. 

Would love Don Broco/Frank Turner/The Snuts in the next announcement. Hopefully announced soon so I can get myself up for it! 

3 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Its an expression. 

Inhaler got a number 1 album despite selling 30% of the average number 1 album sales in 2016.

The majority of people at Reading and Leeds this year that are legally drinking, since the day they were born have streamed music on to an iPod and have never possessed a physical CD.

Clinging on to this notion is akin to people in the 90's talking about the most purchased cassette tape.

Who's still using an iPod? 🤨

1 hour ago, metallimuse said:

Who's still using an iPod? 🤨

If you read the part you bolded, it says that iPods have been in use since the day they were born to listen to music - adults legally drinking at this years festival were born in 2004. I got my iPod in 2002, I put my CDs in to iTunes and then threw them away, most people up to the age 35 at this festival have preferred LimeWire over CDs since at least 2005. 

Hard copies are a long dead format and only the music nostalgia purists purchase them, hence more niche bands getting the majority album sales.

Edited by Chad888
  • Upvote 1

as dead as hard copies are they gotta still be a reasonably good indication of popularity in the age of streaming where its showing how many people are willing to spend money and time on a band. A dedicated fan base is needed to get these number one albums and bands like don broco and sports team get the slots and venues they get despite not matching other acts on streaming services. 

not the be all and end all of course but not worth writing it off completely 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, bleeegghh said:

as dead as hard copies are they gotta still be a reasonably good indication of popularity in the age of streaming where its showing how many people are willing to spend money and time on a band. A dedicated fan base is needed to get these number one albums and bands like don broco and sports team get the slots and venues they get despite not matching other acts on streaming services. 

not the be all and end all of course but not worth writing it off completely 

Its a good indicator that what is being put out has quality content, the ones that still buy physical albums are music purists who want to 'own' something, and consider the album good enough to add to their collection. It can show that the sound they are producing is very good and deserves a slot on the festival circuit. What it doesn't mean though, is that the crowd will be decent.

Inhaler having a number 1 album, making very good music, would have less of a crowd than JXDN who is absolutely trash but his music is added to every Tik Tok video and most "normies" have heard.

A decent amount of people who buy the albums especially for small indie bands like Inhaler will have got it thrown in with their ticket to a show. Nothing wrong with that, but it does bolster the numbers

8 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Its an expression. 

My 16 year old who is going to Leeds buys Vinyls quite regularly. 

I am now rebuying vinyls I sold at car boots years ago having purchased a turntable.  

So with the wireless lineup announced with so many European/UK/London exclusives can we pretty much work out which 1extra acts will be announced? Ie the majority of London festival exclusive or non exclusive acts. 

56 minutes ago, Brad75 said:

So with the wireless lineup announced with so many European/UK/London exclusives can we pretty much work out which 1extra acts will be announced? Ie the majority of London festival exclusive or non exclusive acts. 

Wireless have done well, bagged a lot of the bigger US acts on exclusives. Doesn't really leave too many new and exciting names left really 

1 hour ago, Brad75 said:

I'm expecting a few smaller U.S names e.g. BBNO$, and then the main bulk being British rap e.g. Central Cee

Had a look through the Wireless line-up to see who wasn't billed as an exclusive or who was only billed as a 'London exclusive' some of the names I can see showing up are:

6LACK / Bakar / Knucks / Sainte / Ms Banks / A1 x J1 / Backroad Gee / Miraa May / French The Kid / Central Cee / D-Block Europe / Mahalia / Tiffany Calver / Ghetts / ENNY

correct me on if any of them are exclusives to wireless or not, it's hard to tell as for one weekend they'll not be billed as anything and then at another they are.

bbno$ is a certain and Yung Lean seems pretty likely too

Edited by OnlyRevolutions

11 minutes ago, OnlyRevolutions said:

Had a look through the Wireless line-up to see who wasn't billed as an exclusive or who was only billed as a 'London exclusive' some of the names I can see showing up are:

6LACK / Bakar / Knucks / Sainte / Ms Banks / A1 x J1 / Backroad Gee / Miraa May / French The Kid / Central Cee / D-Block Europe / Mahalia / Tiffany Calver / Ghetts / ENNY

correct me on if any of them are exclusives to wireless or not, it's hard to tell as for one weekend they'll not be billed as anything and then at another they are.

bbno$ is a certain and Yung Lean seems pretty likely too

I really don't get the whole 'exclusive' branding. It seems to be exclusive only at the moment of announcing. Every year I see people like Post Malone get billed as a UK exclusive and then get announced to headline R&L the week after.

KOL were definitely billed as a UK exclusive and so was Liam Gallagher before being confirmed for R&L headliner in 2018 and 2021.

Yung Lean would probably headline the 1xtra at this point. Hasn’t played since around 2016 or so and pretty sure he was already high up the 1xtra then. He’s a lot bigger these days i’d have thought. 

Not sure he’d suit any other stage either

8 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Its a good indicator that what is being put out has quality content, the ones that still buy physical albums are music purists who want to 'own' something, and consider the album good enough to add to their collection. It can show that the sound they are producing is very good and deserves a slot on the festival circuit. What it doesn't mean though, is that the crowd will be decent.

Inhaler having a number 1 album, making very good music, would have less of a crowd than JXDN who is absolutely trash but his music is added to every Tik Tok video and most "normies" have heard.

Not a chance Jxdn would get a bigger crowd than Inhaler. 

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

I really don't get the whole 'exclusive' branding. It seems to be exclusive only at the moment of announcing. Every year I see people like Post Malone get billed as a UK exclusive and then get announced to headline R&L the week after.

KOL were definitely billed as a UK exclusive and so was Liam Gallagher before being confirmed for R&L headliner in 2018 and 2021.

Until recently exclusives were stuck by much more. Theres been some lies this year e.g. Megan thee Stallion.

Wireless take the piss with exclusives, London exclusive is a ridiculous title.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Bit late but haven’t been on in a while, saw Dave in Liverpool on Friday and my god was he good, certainly headline material

thought I’d include a few photos I took that I was quite proud of

4EFA171E-FE00-405A-9DC4-C1C402D4860E.jpeg

0BED04F0-EAA5-4BA6-A797-36B51D6619A6.jpeg

13B48FAF-0F0B-41D9-AF3D-C56132438217.jpeg

Saw him in Leeds on Saturday and he was incredible! Even bought out AJ for Thiago Silva and Ladbroke Grove

• Upvote 1