2022 Festival

18 minutes ago, Benj said:

Rock bands have been getting no 1 albums though or the period where Rock music ‘has been dead’. 

No1 album is a boomer metric, it’s of no relevance to Reading, where the main audience don’t listen to albums or buy physical media

BOOMER METRIC. Believe it or not, YouTube likes and Spotify listeners isn’t the only metric to go by. 

I’m also talking about mainstream music in general, the music world doesn’t revolve around Reading and Leeds. 

Edited by Andre91

On 2/18/2022 at 9:11 PM, Chad888 said:

Predictions time, next announcement will contain most of these 32 names:

Rex Orange County, Limp Bizkit, Libertines, Don Broco, Kurupt FM, Pusha T, Yung Lean, Central Cee, Mabel, Holly Humberstone, Declan, Tom Grennan, Declan Mckenna, The Snuts, Nothing But Thieves, DMAs, Sundara Kamara, Beabadoobee, Inhaler, Example, Ivorian Doll, Tion Wayne, BBNO$, Katy B, Stromae, Tion Wayne, Ski Mask the Slump God, Sub Focus, Gorgon City, Creeper, Baby Keem, Wet Leg

MSE//

Dave < Polo G < Little Simz < Tom Grennan < Circa Waves < The Snuts

Arctic Monkeys < Wolf Alice < Fontaines DC < Pusha T  < Creeper < Inhaler

RATM < Run the Jewels < Maneskin < Central Cee < Nothing But Thieves <  DMAs

MSE//

Megan Thee Stallion < Rex Orange County < Glass Animals < Pinkpantheress < Joy Crookes < Wallows

Bring me the Horizon < Enter Shikari < Jack Harlow < Yung Lean < Sundara Kamara < The Lathums

Halsey < Bastille < Don Broco < Ardee < Holly Humberstone < Beabadoobee

1xtra//

Example < BBNO$ < Ivorian Doll

Tion Wayne < Ghetts < A1 x J1

Denzel Curry < Ski Mask the Slump God < Avelino

Dance//

Gorgon City < Stromae < Katy B

Wilkinson < Kurupt FM < Madison Beer

Hybrid Minds < Sub Focus < Bru-C

Pit - Lockup - Festival Republic//

Libertines < Fever 333

Limp Bizkit < JXDN

Pale Waves < Baby Keem

Libertines in the FR tent your off your rocker

This would be a tasty day for RATM: 

Rage Against The Machine / Run The Jewels / Måneskin / Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls / Denzel Curry / As It Is / Bob Vylan 

With this on MSW: 

Halsey / Bastille / Don Broco / ArrDee / Pale Waves / Alfie Templeman / Bloxx 

Edited by Andre91

On 2/19/2022 at 10:53 AM, Andre91 said:

Frank will be there, I think. He could do either of those or even headline the Pit/Lock Up. 

Great for him getting a #1. Don Broco and Frank Turner with #1s in the last couple of weeks is cool. Plus, we’ve also had Architects at #1 in the last year as well as BMTH staring down the possibility of a #1 in the singles chart for their Bad Habits collab. It feels like rock music is becoming cool again in the mainstream more than it has for a long, long time. I’m not expecting an early 00s boom at all because I don’t think that could happen these days but, I don’t know, it definitely feels like mainstream eyes are being cast at rock music more now. 

People don't buy albums anymore. All the mainstream artists are on Spotify, when then albums are released kids just listen to the individual tracks on Spotify or Apple or Tidal.

Parent/grandparents buy albums, and so do music purists, and the indie kids.

The albums are getting number 1 but they aren't even getting BPI Gold or Silver in record sales.

26 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

People don't buy albums anymore. All the mainstream artists are on Spotify, when then albums are released kids just listen to the individual tracks on Spotify or Apple or Tidal.

Parent/grandparents buy albums, and so do music purists, and the indie kids.

The albums are getting number 1 but they aren't even getting BPI Gold or Silver in record sales.

‘Nobody buys albums anymore… except these people and these people and these people…’

‘Spotify, streams’ blah blah. 

YAWN. 

How about artists just stop producing physical media altogether if it’s so worthless? I’m sure they value that fraction of a penny they get per stream so much more. Might as well stop making merch as well because that means nothing compared to Spotify numbers, eh?

It’s like you actively want music to die. 

How old are you, out of interest?

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He's not wrong though.

Frank Turner is the latest of many rock artists to receive their first no. 1 album in the past couple of years. Yet, despite it being his highest peak, it's not his biggest-selling release week to date. Because the download chart has pretty much bottomed out and physical sales are the only 1=1 sales count left, rock acts are cleaning up. Particularly ones doing instore tours.

It's a great achievement for the artists and for their fans to be a part of it... but y'know. Don't call it a comeback. The industry isn't stupid, they know what's happening. The album charts are slowly but surely losing relevance.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

He's not wrong though.

Frank Turner is the latest of many rock artists to receive their first no. 1 album in the past couple of years. Yet, despite it being his highest peak, it's not his biggest-selling release week to date. Because the download chart has pretty much bottomed out and physical sales are the only 1=1 sales count left, rock acts are cleaning up. Particularly ones doing instore tours.

It's a great achievement for the artists and for their fans to be a part of it... but y'know. Don't call it a comeback. The industry isn't stupid, they know what's happening. The album charts are slowly but surely losing relevance.

I wasn’t saying they’re completely wrong, of course album charts aren’t what they used to be. They’re just one facet of popularity, just like Spotify and ticket sales etc. They can’t be completely counted on in isolation (just like how focusing solely on Spotify listeners isn’t reliable) but they can’t be completely discounted either; they all feed into artists’ success and popularity. 

Like you’ve said, it’s a cool thing for those artists’ fans to experience. Nobody is expecting a rock boom like decades gone by but it certainly is more in vogue recently, which is, again, a cool thing for those fans to experience. 

Edited by Andre91

17 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I wasn’t saying they’re completely wrong, of course album charts aren’t what they used to be. They’re just one facet of popularity, just like Spotify and ticket sales etc. They can’t be completely counted on in isolation (just like how focusing solely on Spotify listeners isn’t reliable) but they can’t be completely discounted either; they all feed into artists’ success and popularity. 

Like you’ve said, it’s a cool thing for those artists’ fans to experience. Nobody is expecting a rock boom like decades gone by but it certainly is more in vogue recently, which is, again, a cool thing for those fans to experience. 

Yeah that’s true. It’s still a race they’ve won against all the other artists. The likes of Inhaler, The Lathums, The Snuts starting their careers with number one albums is huge and will mean a lot to labels and promoters.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah that’s true. It’s still a race they’ve won against all the other artists. The likes of Inhaler, The Lathums, The Snuts starting their careers with number one albums is huge and will mean a lot to labels and promoters.

Yeah, it’s great for those getting the chart topping positions. 

It’s a bit like awards shows. We all know they don’t mean that much but, for a festival promoter, it still looks good to be able to say ‘Look at X amount of BRIT awards winners and #1 album holders we’ve got on our lineup’. To your normies, I guess that stuff makes a lineup look even more stacked with ‘big’ artists. 

Edited by Andre91

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

This would be a tasty day for RATM: 

Rage Against The Machine / Run The Jewels / Måneskin / Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls / Denzel Curry / As It Is / Bob Vylan 

With this on MSW: 

Halsey / Bastille / Don Broco / ArrDee / Pale Waves / Alfie Templeman / Bloxx 

Bloody hell this is good. Maybe too good.

23 hours ago, LazyDavid said:

I think Creeper potentially would headline the pit, not sure Skindred fit that slot anymore (can't see them doing main stage either though I love them)

9 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I think you’re mostly there!

Frank Carter wouldn’t play that low. He would be a logo act on one of the Main Stages.

Ho99o9 were due to play higher than that this year before they pulled out and will have a new album in tow.

Creeper and Sleep Token are both too low, with both now being arguably big enough to headline that stage (but could equally sub it also). 

Cheers for the constructive comments guys, as you have probably seen by now, not really too much of a clue on that scene as much as I am with the Rap/Indie/Pop/Dance stuff. 

Seen quite a few people asking for Sleep Token on socials if you get past all the comments asking for Playboi Carti, Doja Cat and Sam Fender! 

Really hope we get an announcement soon - but seems like they have Wireless, Latitude, Community to focus on first, unless we get a big bulk of line-ups between now and the end of March, which probably isn't even out of the question at this point. 

12 hours ago, TKOCF said:

Surprising amount of overlap between the Community and R&L lineups.

Both Circa and Pale Waves and Kid Brunswick too.

I’d be surprised if the Wombats got announced for R&L though.

1 medium name and 2 small names overlapping isn’t that much between two indie festivals

On 2/20/2022 at 6:51 AM, Andre91 said:

BOOMER METRIC. Believe it or not, YouTube likes and Spotify listeners isn’t the only metric to go by. 

I’m also talking about mainstream music in general, the music world doesn’t revolve around Reading and Leeds. 

They’re not but obviously far more relevant to Reading than the album charts. 

It’s not even like these albums are ‘topping the charts’  for weeks or months on end, they disappear without a trace as soon as the signing campaign, or whatever ends, it’s a sign of a well run campaign by the label mobilising the fan base as opposed to a sign there’s loads of interested in the act. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Benj said:

They’re not but obviously far more relevant to Reading than the album charts. 

It’s not even like these albums are ‘topping the charts’  for weeks or months on end, they disappear without a trace as soon as the signing campaign, or whatever ends, it’s a sign of a well run campaign by the label mobilising the fan base as opposed to a sign there’s loads of interested in the act. 

Exactly this - its exactly what shows the difference between acts like Sam Fender whos stuck around a decent bit and is even on the main chart vs the acts who go to #1 then are down in the bottom half of the chart the week after.

Its impressive the extent that marketing campaigns go to like the small show week of launch + £2 CD tickets for instance.

25 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls are doing a US tour ‘50 States in 50 Days’ (which is mental) starting July 10 that finished the Sunday before R&L. I think they will be on the lineup. 

Would love to see him there. Was gutted when the UK tour (that I think should have been going on now) was cancelled. Feels strange that he's just got his first number one and there's only instore shows in the UK. Hopefully something announced soon!

50 states in 50 sounds insane though so he'll more than deserve a break after embarking on that.