2022 Festival

I can see why The Wombats being there constantly would piss people off. I quite like em tbh, and thought they were great in front of a "who gives a fuck crowd" at Glasgow Green before Kings of Leon.

Bloc Party were OUTSTANDING headlining Festival No. 6 in 2017 though, and I think their post-Silent Alarm output has been excellent.

I love The Wombats, ideal festival band to get the crowd going but agree R&L need to give it a rest with them for a bit. They just fit the bill for a high ranking indie band that's too small to headline but too big to do anything other than sub.

Struggling to think of many indie bands that could sub besides Wolf Alice in the current climate - last year was excellent with them, Fender, Gerry, TDCC and Blossoms.

17 minutes ago, foolee said:

I’d say Polo G, Wolf Alice, RTJ, Glass Animals, Enter Shikari and Bastille are our subs, no?

Don’t think enter shikari will be - just not big enough with 90% of the current crowd (I doubt most people going will have even heard of them)

Trying to think who you'd even slot in between Shikari and BMTH if that was the case. Doesn't feel like Architects have grown enough for L+R sub. 

When did You Met At Six play as last minute additions in 21? 

3 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Trying to think who you'd even slot in between Shikari and BMTH if that was the case. Doesn't feel like Architects have grown enough for L+R sub. 

When did You Met At Six play as last minute additions in 21? 

I hope you aren’t suggesting YMAS as a sub, poorly attended mid afternoon main stage slot last year and I don’t think they’re anywhere near big enough. ES sell out academy venues consistently and I think they recently sold out Ally Pally, not sure YMAS could do that these days. Poor live as well so I hope not. 

Just now, foolee said:

I hope you aren’t suggesting YMAS as a sub, poorly attended mid afternoon main stage slot last year and I don’t think they’re anywhere near big enough. ES sell out academy venues consistently and I think they recently sold out Ally Pally, not sure YMAS could do that these days. Poor live as well so I hope not. 

Nah I didn't even know what time they played / don't like them, just the first that came to mind.

2 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I love The Wombats, ideal festival band to get the crowd going but agree R&L need to give it a rest with them for a bit. They just fit the bill for a high ranking indie band that's too small to headline but too big to do anything other than sub.

Struggling to think of many indie bands that could sub besides Wolf Alice in the current climate - last year was excellent with them, Fender, Gerry, TDCC and Blossoms.

This was the issue to be fair, I think i did say it at some point. They used up every single one last year and all thats left now is Courteeners really 😂.

Considering Glass Animals are likely subbing I guess they can be counted too

22 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think we can all agree the new wombats album is awful right? Not even got a big tune like Turn

If I ever leave I'm coming with you has 10million streams on Spotify so I'd say that's the album's big tune. As you rightly say though, the rest is pretty awful (still number one in the album chart though).

39 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think we can all agree the new wombats album is awful right? Not even got a big tune like Turn

Yeah, very average and I’ve really liked and got on with the last 2 albums they released and the debut. 

Could it be, the 3 MSW poster names that we thought were subs are actually 3rd down? I'd find it poor marketing really if the festival were to announce the 5 biggest mainstage names on each day, and 2 months later they've still only sold 1 of those days out. Marketing tells keep it close to your chest.

Bastille, Glass Animals, and Enter Shikari...

All I see are people arguing "they're absolutly big enough" based on their own personal feelings towards the act. Similar to the poster when Polo G was leaked as a sub, asked his 14 year old son who declared "Polo G is big enough to be the outright main headliner".

I think it sounds reasonable to see something like...

Bastille > Wombats > Halsey

Enter Shikari > Architects > Bring me the Horizon

Glass Animals > Rex Orange County > Megan the Stallion 

Bastille, Glass Animals and Enter Shikari are objectively big enough to sub MSW. That’s not based on personal feeling, it’s based on the venues they play and sell out. I can’t see any of them dropping lower, particularly Bastille. 

Polo G is subbing as, I believe, he’s never played the UK before and is zeitgeisty af. 

4 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Could it be, the 3 MSW poster names that we thought were subs are actually 3rd down? I'd find it poor marketing really if the festival were to announce the 5 biggest mainstage names on each day, and 2 months later they've still only sold 1 of those days out. Marketing tells keep it close to your chest.

Bastille, Glass Animals, and Enter Shikari...

All I see are people arguing "they're absolutly big enough" based on their own personal feelings towards the act. Similar to the poster when Polo G was leaked as a sub, asked his 14 year old son who declared "Polo G is big enough to be the outright main headliner".

I think it sounds reasonable to see something like...

Bastille > Wombats > Halsey

Enter Shikari > Architects > Bring me the Horizon

Glass Animals > Rex Orange County > Megan the Stallion 

Following on from this, I know they've been given logos on the release but I find some of these absolutly bizarre...

- Wolf Alice has come back again this year but bumped up to second from third without any release, or planned release.

- Fontaines DC were booked for 2020 as 3rd down on R1 stage, they've been rebooked as 3rd down for Main Stage without releasing anything since.

- Run the Jewels were 3rd underneath Courteeners. Without releasing anything they're coming back as 2nd down under Rage.

- Maneskin came 2nd on Xfactor in 2017 and then won Eurovision in 2021. They've had 1 big song in the UK, a cover of Madcons beggin'. How are they in 3rd under Rage?

- Polo G is likely set to have a meteoric year, I can see that. Little Simz is shaping up to be a big act, but she's still relatively new. Somebody I'd see playing 2nd or 3rd down the old R1. Despite their size, and Dave too, I find it utterly bizarre from a marketing point of view to have 3 acts brand new to that stage and those kind of positions, with no clue whether it would work or not.

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Bastille, Glass Animals and Enter Shikari are objectively big enough to sub MSW. That’s not based on personal feeling, it’s based on the venues they play and sell out. I can’t see any of them dropping lower, particularly Bastille. 

Polo G is subbing as, I believe, he’s never played the UK before and is zeitgeisty af. 

Polo G is going to be the signing we collectively say "what the fuck", but in 5 years kids will look and say "yo as if they had Polo G subbing Dave, that's insane man we gotta go".

Similar to Travis Scott 2nd 2018, Billie Eilish 5th down 2019, Post Malone 5th down 2018.

4 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Following on from this, I know they've been given logos on the release but I find some of these absolutly bizarre...

- Wolf Alice has come back again this year but bumped up to second from third without any release, or planned release.

- Fontaines DC were booked for 2020 as 3rd down on R1 stage, they've been rebooked as 3rd down for Main Stage without releasing anything since.

- Run the Jewels were 3rd underneath Courteeners. Without releasing anything they're coming back as 2nd down under Rage.

- Maneskin came 2nd on Xfactor in 2017 and then won Eurovision in 2021. They've had 1 big song in the UK, a cover of Madcons beggin'. How are they in 3rd under Rage?

- Polo G is likely set to have a meteoric year, I can see that. Little Simz is shaping up to be a big act, but she's still relatively new. Somebody I'd see playing 2nd or 3rd down the old R1. Despite their size, and Dave too, I find it utterly bizarre from a marketing point of view to have 3 acts brand new to that stage and those kind of positions, with no clue whether it would work or not.

I can’t be bothered to run down every point you’re wrong about but Little Simz has been releasing music since 2010 and has 4 albums, 9 EPs and 4 mixtapes. She isn’t new and isn’t shaping up to be a big artist; she is one. 

Edited by Andre91

1 minute ago, beetchez said:

People have suggested Don Broco or Architects as the other BMTH logo band.

I think it'd be like this if either appear:

BMTH > Enter Shikari > Don Broco

BMTH > Architects > Enter Shikari

Either would be great. Out of the two, I can see Broco slotting in under Shikari more so. What a run that would be!

24 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I can’t be bothered to run down every point you’re wrong about but Little Simz has been releasing music since 2010 and has 4 albums, 9 EPs and 4 mixtapes. She isn’t new and isn’t shaping up to be a big artist; she is one. 

Christ, are you seriously suggesting she's been a big act since she was 15? She's released 1 single album thats gone mainstream and charted. That was last year. 16 of the recordings you refer to were released by her own independent label from her bedroom.

She only signed with an actual label in 2019. She's a great newcomer, winning MOBOs best female artist 2021, but she really hasn't been around that much before.

22 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Christ, are you seriously suggesting she's been a big act since she was 15? She's released 1 single album thats gone mainstream and charted. That was last year. 16 of the recordings you refer to were released by her own independent label from her bedroom.

She only signed with an actual label in 2019. She's a great newcomer, winning MOBOs best female artist 2021, but she really hasn't been around that much before.

Ahh, yeah. Metallica’s first gig was a stadium, wasn’t it. 

Artists release music, which generates airplay, streams and sales, which increases the amount of people who hear their music. Artists tour and sell venues out, which increases the size of the venues they play the next time they tour. Mental that. 

Is it inconceivable that, in the 2 years since they were likely booked for the 2020 festival, Fontaine’s D.C. have become more popular and are on the verge of releasing a new album, which means they get a bigger slot than a festival that was due to happen 2 years ago? 

Edited by Andre91

3 hours ago, gfa said:

This was the issue to be fair, I think i did say it at some point. They used up every single one last year and all thats left now is Courteeners really 😂.

Considering Glass Animals are likely subbing I guess they can be counted too

Yeah it’s been mentioned quite a few times, just shows how true it is. Think Courteeners will headline MSW next year, probably Sam Fender too. Just give me Architects this year, that’s all I ask

1 hour ago, beetchez said:

People have suggested Don Broco or Architects as the other BMTH logo band.

I think it'd be like this if either appear:

BMTH > Enter Shikari > Don Broco

BMTH > Architects > Enter Shikari

I’d love either of those. I can see Don Broco happening it is weird that Architects aren’t playing in the UK, too heavy for R&L these days maybe? And they’ve got their tour in May which they might want to sell tickets for so wouldn’t get booked.