2022 Festival

46 minutes ago, jump said:

Regardless of what other festival posters say I find Halsey the most questionable headliner out of the six.

Halsey played an arena tour including O2 in London and Manchester on her last tour and her new album is incredible so think she’s worth the spot. 

2 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

When i kept saying this, I was continuously shouted down by the perma-correct contrarians.

The MSW was just the R1 Stage taken out of the tent and the old mainstage sacrificed some of its budget to hand over. Its a sub main stage in reality with the word "main stage" to attract newbies. In old terms Halsey subbing Rage, Megan subbing Dave, and BMTH subbing Arctics would be great but not nearly as marketable.

I agree that the 2nd main stage gets smaller acts to headline but I don’t agree with the Radio 1 stage comment as the acts are clearly bigger than that. Not a chance BMTH or Halsey would headline the tent as they’re far too big. Also I think R&L have done the double main stage thing to get bookings like BMTH, Halsey, Biffy Clyro & Catfish & the Bottlemen because they wouldn’t headline a 3 headliner festival but none of those would accept a sub slot either. Rumoured that Halsey actually turned down a sub slot previously because she said she wanted to headline. 

Halsey is big enough for an R&L headliner. Especially with the 6 options.

I question how many tickets she’d sell if she was heading a day up on her own, but in the current way that the lineup is structured she’s exactly the sort of headliner they like to book right now.

R&L headliners don’t necessarily headline other UK festivals because I think R&L books what works for their audience. Panic, Fall Out Boy, Halsey, Paramore, Bring Me The Horizon etc are R&L headliners but would probably accept lower slots elsewhere.

I agree that Megan is now the weakest headliner. If she plays Glasto too in a lower spot it will cement that. However, this is why they are doing the 6 headliner thing so they can book who would impress weekend attendees work rather than who is the largest ticket seller.

Edited by Matt42

2 hours ago, foolee said:

Halsey played an arena tour including O2 in London and Manchester on her last tour and her new album is incredible so think she’s worth the spot. 

Bastille are touring those same venues too and I wouldn't care for them as a headliner either.

3 hours ago, foolee said:

I agree that the 2nd main stage gets smaller acts to headline but I don’t agree with the Radio 1 stage comment as the acts are clearly bigger than that. Not a chance BMTH or Halsey would headline the tent as they’re far too big. Also I think R&L have done the double main stage thing to get bookings like BMTH, Halsey, Biffy Clyro & Catfish & the Bottlemen because they wouldn’t headline a 3 headliner festival but none of those would accept a sub slot either. Rumoured that Halsey actually turned down a sub slot previously because she said she wanted to headline. 

100% agree, my comment referred that they'd combined the money from the MS and R1, and then split it between 2 main stages. So rather than 18 huge main acts and 3 big headliners and 21 meh, we get 36 middling to meh acts, 3 large headliners and 3 average headliners. Acts like Aitch, Ardee, Yungblud, Maneskin, Fontaines aren't 3rd down in old mainstage money but because they blow a tonne of budget on MS headlines they have crappy undercards.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Chad888 said:

When i kept saying this, I was continuously shouted down by the perma-correct contrarians.

The MSW was just the R1 Stage taken out of the tent and the old mainstage sacrificed some of its budget to hand over. Its a sub main stage in reality with the word "main stage" to attract newbies. In old terms Halsey subbing Rage, Megan subbing Dave, and BMTH subbing Arctics would be great but not nearly as marketable.

Exactly, they now have 14 ‘main stage’ acts instead of 10 a day. 

With the R1 there were 21 acts across the two stages

Basically they have 7 less acts to pay per day, before you consider the additional 12 less from the removal of second small stage, so 19 less acts a day, from which they can in effect fund a second ‘headliner’ basically a slightly better sub than they used to get.

To be fair to them, it’s a master stroke, they’re probably paying far less, esp when you consider the logistical savings of having to deal with 60 less acts, while people are think they’re getting a better product, when in fact they’re not!

Genius. 

Come August I think most people would be happy to see this years subs disappear for a return of a full R1 stage, before 3 days of the FR stage AND pit.  

On paper though when you’re trying to sell tickets it looks much stronger now than how the old bill would’ve looked at release time. 

Shame really, we all lose, despite thinking we’ve won

23 minutes ago, OnlyRevolutions said:

If he was to play I think he'd most likely slot under Megan but above Glass Animals on that stage

6/10 would be too low for Glass Animals wouldn’t it, even in the new world

Just now, Benj said:

6/10 would be too low for Glass Animals wouldn’t it, even in the new world

They've definitely had a big come up over the last year, but it is mostly all down to the one song at the moment, Heat Waves has been a massive hit and pushed them to 40M monthly listeners and a song with 1B listens but Tik Tok did that for Beabadoobee too back when her song Coffee was everywhere and she didn't even get a logo on the poster last year.. don't get me wrong, Glass Animals are much bigger now than Beabadoobee ever was, I just don't think their one big song will justify them playing higher than Rex

14 minutes ago, OnlyRevolutions said:

They've definitely had a big come up over the last year, but it is mostly all down to the one song at the moment, Heat Waves has been a massive hit and pushed them to 40M monthly listeners and a song with 1B listens but Tik Tok did that for Beabadoobee too back when her song Coffee was everywhere and she didn't even get a logo on the poster last year.. don't get me wrong, Glass Animals are much bigger now than Beabadoobee ever was, I just don't think their one big song will justify them playing higher than Rex

Yup, can’t see them bumped down though either really though

Glass Animals aren’t 6th down. They’re either subbing or playing third down on a main stage, with a slot length and production that will reflect that position and not that of a 6th down act. 

This two Main Stage setup isn’t even a year old yet and the argument of what the slots equate to and how many acts we are missing because the R1 has gone is as tired and trite as the ‘Download needs to bump up new headliners’ argument that happens every couple of months. 

Moving on, I think we’ll get the next lineup announcement next week. 

Edited by Andre91

20 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Glass Animals aren’t 6th down. They’re either subbing or playing third down on a main stage, with a slot length and production that will reflect that position and not that of a 6th down act. 

This two Main Stage setup isn’t even a year old yet and the argument of what the slots equate to and how many acts we are missing because the R1 has gone is as tired and trite as the ‘Download needs to bump up new headliners’ argument that happens every couple of months. 

Moving on, I think we’ll get the next lineup announcement next week. 

The fact it isn’t even a year old is why the arguments are happening!

Once it’s over a year old they may cease!

3rd on MSW is 6/14 on the Main Stages if we look at hit that way, to compare with the single year we have-

Aitch - Slowthai - Yungblud

Kind of fit looking at it that way

In terms of booking, MTS is definitely more in tune with the musical zeitgeist compared to someone like Rage.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Rage didn’t even fill up half the MSE field. 

Edited by TKOCF
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Lol I love this.

Yeah on the subject of Glass Animals they are one of the only bands to have had a massive career boost during the pandemic. I expect them to be getting big slots at big festivals all summer.

10 hours ago, TKOCF said:

In terms of booking, MTS is definitely more in tune with the musical zeitgeist compared to someone like Rage.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Rage didn’t even fill up half the MSE field. 

I know Rage are a massive draw but they'll have to add way more acts for a lot of the Rage dads yet if they want to shift day tickets. 

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Lol I love this.

Yeah on the subject of Glass Animals they are one of the only bands to have had a massive career boost during the pandemic. I expect them to be getting big slots at big festivals all summer.

2017 they subbed HAIM on the R1 stage. 

2022 they're subbing MTS on the lower main stage.

I'd argue that 2017 HAIM was larger than the current MTS. More releases, more UK charged singles. In fact, if it wasn't for Cardi B (WAP), or Beyonce (Savage) none of MTS songs have broken the top 60 in the UK. She isn't even that big a star in the US, 2 of her tracks have hit top 20 at the highest, the rest are averaging 50 in the charts. For an R&B artist of the current zeitgeist that is shocking.

6 minutes ago, OnlyRevolutions said:

Looks like The Wombats are taking one of the sub spots, what an incredibly boring booking.. wonder if we'll ever get a year with them not there now

IMG_8801.JPG

Think it’s just a mistake in the article as it’s the slot they played last year. Only day they can play is Sunday Reading, Friday Leeds and I can’t see them subbing RATM and I’d say Bastille are the sub on Halsey’s stage.