2022 Festival

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Let’s hope rage just didn’t want to a share a bill with Kanye and we are all ok 

Theyve cancelled their tour because of Omicron and the fact the government is refusing to implement vaccine mandates from attendees.

On our side, they wouldn't have done that to R&L after 4 weeks of being announced, the i's will have been dotted and t's crossed before that announcement.

The down side is that their last date they're cancelling is about 4 weeks before R&L.

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Aside from that stupid comment at the end mentioned above about Megan - Dave has just as much interest currently than Stormzy, Eminem and Post Malone from the Reading audience right now. Its not like their recent days sold out straight away. Polo G is weak support but Dave is by no means a light first timer - his set will be absolutely rammed.

Like I said, Dave is the main one I'm looking forward to. I think he's fantastic but Stormzy (despite being the same level) has the level above (more than likely an industry plant). Every song Dave puts out goes on my playlist but he seems more Post Malone to Stormzys Eminem.

Stormzy (and Eminem) will actually make per⁷ople book a ticket to see them.

Dave (and Post Malone) are a draw to all the kids who would book a ticket anyway for the festival, and they will all be there. Practically nobody will see Dave headlining and go out their way to buy a ticket. 

Polo G is weak as hell, but I think its great marketing as he will one day be as big as Travis Scott etc. But had they announced J Hus subbing in 2018 based on (did you see), Playboi Carti in 2020 (Magnolia), Rae Sremmurd in 2014 (black beatles), French Montana in 2015 (unforgettable) as subbing we'd be absolutly outraged and feel ripped off. 

Instead we have Polo G with 1 song, rapstar, and because of the nature of Spotify where we let a song roll over 3 or 4 times, he's amassed more listens that wouldn't have happened in old money.

22 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Enter Shikari aren’t fourth down, by the way. They’re (at present) subbing Main Stage West. It isn’t the same as fourth down, just as Main Stage West isn’t the same stage as the Radio 1 Stage.

Your average punter these days sees two big, fuck off stages which are identical and concludes ‘that’s two Main Stages’ and doesn’t think about the size of the acts in logo slots. Besides, everyone announced for a logo a lot this year is absolutely big enough to do so. 

The joys of a good marketing team eh. Considering the MSW headliners finish before the MSE headliners, you'd say that the MSW are subbing in to the MSE. The marketing team did their magic and now to the casuals they just see 6 big headliners, and a much worse undercard that is taken from the cheap old R1 and spread across 2 main stages.

23 hours ago, VCK said:

Eminem has been past his best for about 20 years now, but he is a name that will always draw a huge crowd and sell day tickets. Dave is maybe the biggest name in UK music right now but he doesn't have quite the outreach that Em has.

Case in point, I seem to recall when he headlined in 2017 that day tickets for him sold our near immediately. Not as fast as AM day has this time around, but still on a huge scale.

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

Case in point, I seem to recall when he headlined in 2017 that day tickets for him sold our near immediately. Not as fast as AM day has this time around, but still on a huge scale.

Yep. He's one of those acts who could put out dud album after dud album for the rest of his career but would still be a huge, huge draw wherever he plays because of the legacy he has established for himself. He's the biggest name of his genre, to a lot of people, also the greatest of that genre, and people who aren't even fans of that genre are still fans of him.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, charlierc said:

It was utterly mobbed when he played

1 hour ago, Sorcha17 said:

FI8ukMRVEAEqZ6I?format=jpg&name=large

Do we start panicking yet?

There are so many acts on there I haven't heard of it's ridiculous. Normally look at the Coachella line-up and think 'if only', whereas with this one I think 'thank fuck'.

21 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

There are so many acts on there I haven't heard of it's ridiculous. Normally look at the Coachella line-up and think 'if only', whereas with this one I think 'thank fuck'.

I thought the same apart from the headliners and the top row there wasnt much this year that blew me away unlike some years where i couldnt believe the size of act in small text

11 hours ago, VCK said:

Yep. He's one of those acts who could put out dud album after dud album for the rest of his career but would still be a huge, huge draw wherever he plays because of the legacy he has established for himself. He's the biggest name of his genre, to a lot of people, also the greatest of that genre, and people who aren't even fans of that genre are still fans of him.

This is such a good point and backed up very clearly by the fact he would play before a rapper headliner became standard

2 hours ago, gfa said:

This is such a good point and backed up very clearly by the fact he would play before a rapper headliner became standard

I saw public enemy headline reading 1992 and cypress hill headline 1994 ice cube also subbed. Reading has had a rap audience way before Eminem

17 hours ago, Tom Connolly said:

do we think that the subs currently announced are the subs? i could personally see someone above RTJ and Polo G

As much as I'd love it, somebody announced before the announcement that Polo G was subbing.

With the MSW finishing their headline before the MSE headline, in an alternative universe we'd have an insane lineup of:

Dave >> Megan Thee Stalion >> Polo G >> Glass Animals >> Little Simz

Arctic Monkeys >> Bring me the Horizon >> Wolf Alice >> Enter Shikari >> Fontaines DC

Rage Against the Machine >> Halsey >> Run the Jewels >> Bastille >> Maneskin

13 hours ago, Chad888 said:

As much as I'd love it, somebody announced before the announcement that Polo G was subbing.

With the MSW finishing their headline before the MSE headline, in an alternative universe we'd have an insane lineup of:

Dave >> Megan Thee Stalion >> Polo G >> Glass Animals >> Little Simz

Arctic Monkeys >> Bring me the Horizon >> Wolf Alice >> Enter Shikari >> Fontaines DC

Rage Against the Machine >> Halsey >> Run the Jewels >> Bastille >> Maneskin

It’s not an alternate universe, that IS the lineup.

23 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Think he means the sets sometimes eclipse and you can't have a good position for both headliners.

Well if that was one stage, it wouldn’t be the lineup. Being 1st/2nd on a second stage is more appealing than being 2nd/4th on a single stage. Bastille aren’t playing that low down, BMTH and Halsey wouldn’t either. Pretty much the entire purpose for the setup.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Will b said:

Wombats album is brilliant 

shame we’ve had them on the lineup the last 3 festivals cause it would be good to see some of these songs at r/l

Saw it in full last night in Liverpool was bloody insane, crowd was on fire even for the songs that had only been out for half hour

in other news, walked home with the drummer from Shame who we bumped into after the gig, he confirmed they’re not playing and that the festival doesn’t really appeal to them anymore as they don’t think the crowd is there’s. I did reiterate that they’d get a decent crowd even if it was just me but yh they ain’t playing.