2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

Been a bit absent of late not sure what everyone’s thinking. Just wondering whether anyone noticed Elton’s tour dates London on the Friday, Saturday completely empty and Bristol (obviously just down the road) on Sunday. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Also why couldn’t Alex turner and co headline R+L and Glastonbury?  Seems to be the suggestion but to me it doesn’t make sense

Edited by ThomJG

11 minutes ago, ThomJG said:

Been a bit absent of late not sure what everyone’s thinking. Just wondering whether anyone noticed Elton’s tour dates London on the Friday, Saturday completely empty and Bristol (obviously just down the road) on Sunday. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Also why couldn’t Alex turner and co headline R+L and Glastonbury?  Seems to be the suggestion but to me it doesn’t make sense

Elton isn't doing 3 days in a row across the whole tour and I genuinely can't remember the last time Glastonbury and Reading festival shared a headliner. 

8 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Elton isn't doing 3 days in a row across the whole tour and I genuinely can't remember the last time Glastonbury and Reading festival shared a headliner. 

That may be so, but it’s not to say that he couldn’t, you’ve got to admit it makes him a possibility, plus Bristol is hardly any travel perhaps to prevent himself from burning out.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ThomJG said:

That may be so, but it’s not to say that he couldn’t, you’ve got to admit it makes him a possibility, plus Bristol is hardly any travel perhaps to prevent himself from burning out.

I don't think its travel, I think its more a 74 (who will be 75) performing for 2+ hours 3 nights in a row. I don't think he's performed 3 nights in a row in a long time either, I would love him to show up but we've had 2 people saying from 2 sources that its Kendrick/Paul McCartney, with no rumours of it being Elton. 

2 hours ago, chazwwe said:

I don't think we should be worried about a young artist with a young backing band (including her brother) canceling her biggest tour ever because an act who is a few years away from retirement has done. If Billie pulls out, we might as well say goodbye to any American act performing here this year, because of 'worries'. 

I wouldn’t  be that surprised if it ended up being a UK based artists only festival. 

2 minutes ago, Smeble said:

I wouldn’t  be that surprised if it ended up being a UK based artists only festival. 

Making the whole of Glastonbury festival (especially the top stages) be a UK only festival, 5 months before it starts, on the basis of maybe acts cancelling is silly. 

If this happens, on the basis of, Covid MAYBE being bad again in the summer, when it was fine last summer, without the massive push of vaccines, then when are we ever getting US artists touring here again? 

31 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

I don't think its travel, I think its more a 74 (who will be 75) performing for 2+ hours 3 nights in a row. I don't think he's performed 3 nights in a row in a long time either, I would love him to show up but we've had 2 people saying from 2 sources that its Kendrick/Paul McCartney, with no rumours of it being Elton. 

You make a valid point for sure. At this stage I’d be disappointed if it were Paul and kenny though, correct me if I’m wrong but are either of them even touring this year. The reason I’d be disappointed if they were both playing is because of the build up, why keep us all in suspense just to announce that the other two headliners were the two you booked two years ago. Didn’t Emily Eavis recently say they book based on relevancy not past bookings. Just wondering why everyone’s thinking McCartney and Lamar. Don’t get me wrong I love kenny and Paul, I was really into it back in 2020, but DAMN is 5 years old now and Egypt Station 3. They’re not exactly relevant right now

Edited by ThomJG

16 minutes ago, ThomJG said:

You make a valid point for sure. At this stage I’d be disappointed if it were Paul and kenny though, correct me if I’m wrong but are either of them even touring this year. The reason I’d be disappointed if they were both playing is because of the build up, why keep us all in suspense just to announce that the other two headliners were the two you booked two years ago. Didn’t Emily Eavis recently say they book based on relevancy not past bookings. Just wondering why everyone’s thinking McCartney and Lamar

Everyone is thinking them due to 1. The chances of them being rolled over is still quite high and 2. two trusted people on this forum (one being the owner) saying they've heard from sources that its both Kendrick and Macca. 

There's not really much suspense, most of the time we don't get a 2nd/3rd headliner until much later, for instance, 2020 we got Taylor and Paul both before christmas and then didn't get the 3rd until line up poster in March. 2019 was Stormzy in November and then The Cure and The Killers March 15th. 

1 hour ago, ThomJG said:

Don’t get me wrong I love kenny and Paul, I was really into it back in 2020, but DAMN is 5 years old now and Egypt Station 3. They’re not exactly relevant right now

With the best will in the world, the idea that, at this point in time and his career, Paul McCartney is somehow less relevant because he hasn't released an album in 3 years is ridiculous.

26 minutes ago, waltere said:

With the best will in the world, the idea that, at this point in time and his career, Paul McCartney is somehow less relevant because he hasn't released an album in 3 years is ridiculous.

lol agreed, also he released mccartney III during the pandemic so this argument doesn't even work on that basis

13 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Harry before Eilish would be cool.

Dave before Eilish is a party. Ain’t nowhere else you would want to be than the pyramid stage that night

Dave would be Billie's best shot at getting a headliner worthy crowd. There'll be plenty of space in the Pyramid field if Harry subs. Which isn't to say it wouldn't be a great time for those in attendance, I just think many people would write off the Pyramid as their Friday night destination with a Styles/Eilish combo.

4 hours ago, waltere said:

What would we even get from that album? Fudge You or whatever its called?

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

Dave would be Billie's best shot at getting a headliner worthy crowd. There'll be plenty of space in the Pyramid field if Harry subs. Which isn't to say it wouldn't be a great time for those in attendance, I just think many people would write off the Pyramid as their Friday night destination with a Styles/Eilish combo.

Errr I strongly disagree at this. If Harry plays I reckon the pyramid field would be completely packed. He would be an extremely popular booking at the festival, and the views of people on here are really not reflective of the festival attendees at large. Billie will get a very big crowd too

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Errr I strongly disagree at this. If Harry plays I reckon the pyramid field would be completely packed. He would be an extremely popular booking at the festival, and the views of people on here are really not reflective of the festival attendees at large. Billie will get a very big crowd too

Actually I think there's a disproportionately large number of discerning music fans at Glastonbury. I know you tend to base your opinions on the commercial success of acts, but that's not necessarily the defining metric for popularity on the farm.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I do wonder if Billie’s crowd will be made up a fair chunk of folk who having not been at the festival for 3 years just want to watch a pyramid headline set. 

8 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

I think this is more aimed at mainland European festivals but this is an interesting quote and article on the current situation, from the Primavera thread.

nothing unexpected there, it just says that covid causes problems.

Although certain news sources and states would have you believe otherwise, America isn’t doing quite as well with Omicron as most of the rest of the world and it’s still pretty rampant, in no small part due to people continuing to ignore that it’s a problem, so it’s no surprise to me that some American (especially older ones) acts don’t feel safe touring just yet, as well as the whole vaccination problems etc which is no doubt becoming a massive headache.

7 hours ago, waltere said:

Tbh Paul is more relevant now than in 2020 after how well received Get Back was. Think more people saw and enjoyed that than listened to Egypt Station.

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Although certain news sources and states would have you believe otherwise, America isn’t doing quite as well with Omicron as most of the rest of the world and it’s still pretty rampant, in no small part due to people continuing to ignore that it’s a problem, so it’s no surprise to me that some American (especially older ones) acts don’t feel safe touring just yet, as well as the whole vaccination problems etc which is no doubt becoming a massive headache.

i work for an American company and i can definitely confirm that Covid remains an issue. We are cancelling more events now than we ever did in the first two years of the virus