2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

Just now, dentalplan said:

Why does this open the door to him taking a sub slot? I don’t see how him headlining a festival in Ireland changes anything.

He’s a huge name at this point and he’d be obliterating his chances of headlining next album by taking a sub slot now.

I question whether it’s in the pipeline really. We're All Alone in This Together was a good second album but it wasn’t stratospherically bigger than album 1. Of course he will step into headline slots at R&L, Longitude, and hip hop/rap festivals. But there he is playing to his crowd. As @Ddiamondd how certain does it look like he will get the call if 2023’s headliners are pencilled.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Why does this open the door to him taking a sub slot? I don’t see how him headlining a festival in Ireland changes anything.

He’s a huge name at this point and he’d be obliterating his chances of headlining next album by taking a sub slot now.

I just meant because he’s touring festivals around the time, but yeah you’re probably right that he’d rather hold out for a shot at headlining. 

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I question whether it’s in the pipeline really. We're All Alone in This Together was a good second album but it wasn’t stratospherically bigger than album 1. Of course he will step into headline slots at R&L, Longitude, and hip hop/rap festivals. But there he is playing to his crowd. As @Ddiamondd how certain does it look like he will get the call if 2023’s headliners are pencilled.

It had 3x the first week sales of the first record. Double that of the Billie Eilish record later that month. Broke a bunch of records. His tour has sold on a par with Stormzy’s I believe.

I don’t see what more he could have done on this album to make himself a headline candidate (other than announced he was headlining Glastonbury of course).

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I just meant because he’s touring festivals around the time, but yeah you’re probably right that he’d rather hold out for a shot at headlining. 

He was always gonna be around the UK at the time I suppose, unlike an international act who might as well squeeze in an appearance on the tour.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I mean Dave’s last set was pretty heavily publicised. 28m views!

I caught this as it happened purely by chance walking up to the food trucks at the top of the field. Even though I think Dave's music is shite I thought this was brilliant. The young lad was a better performer than Dave 😄  haha seriously though the joy on the lads face was brilliant and even I stayed to listen to the song. 

4 hours ago, Havors said:

I caught this as it happened purely by chance walking up to the food trucks at the top of the field. Even though I think Dave's music is shite I thought this was brilliant. The young lad was a better performer than Dave 😄  haha seriously though the joy on the lads face was brilliant and even I stayed to listen to the song. 

Lost all credibility when I found out this basically started the politics for all  Twitter account. 

Just now, sisco said:

So do we think Billie could pull her tour soon too?!

Literally sick at the thought.

I think Billie is less likely to pull her tour as it’s usually just her and her brother up on stage.

Acts with a full band and a huge tour crew are the issue.

15 minutes ago, sisco said:

So do we think Billie could pull her tour soon too?!

I don't think we should be worried about a young artist with a young backing band (including her brother) canceling her biggest tour ever because an act who is a few years away from retirement has done. If Billie pulls out, we might as well say goodbye to any American act performing here this year, because of 'worries'. 

3 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

I don't think we should be worried about a young artist with a young backing band (including her brother) canceling her biggest tour ever because an act who is a few years away from retirement has done. If Billie pulls out, we might as well say goodbye to any American act performing here this year, because of 'worries'. 

Also. I know there is WAY more to it than this. But it’s just her and her brother on stage… her brother is actually positioned far behind her. 

Its technically a socially distanced show.

Edited by Matt42

Now’s the moment when playing summer shows abroad seems MOST viable since the start of the pandemic. If you’re cancelling a tour now there must be other factors involved than simply the pandemic. An act like Aerosmith don’t exactly need to tour this summer and are probably more inclined to sack it off than someone in the prime of their career on a massive headline tour.

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

Now’s the moment when playing summer shows abroad seems MOST viable since the start of the pandemic. If you’re cancelling a tour now there must be other factors involved than simply the pandemic. An act like Aerosmith don’t exactly need to tour this summer and are probably more inclined to sack it off than someone in the prime of their career on a massive headline tour.

Is it mainland Europe though? I mean Glastonbury could technically go ahead tomorrow but I don’t think that’s the case for other EU countries. Aerosmith had dates in plenty of countries which are still locked down right now right?

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Is it mainland Europe though? I mean Glastonbury could technically go ahead tomorrow but I don’t think that’s the case for other EU countries. Aerosmith had dates in plenty of countries which are still locked down right now right?

Not sure on the current regs on the continent, I’m sure someone here will know, but globally we’re in a far better position than this time last year, and certainly when Aerosmith put out their latest tour dates. Just seems an odd call to me to announce a tour before Christmas and then cancel now when it’s clear the pandemic is very clearly heading in the right direction. What did they expect when they announced their 2022 dates in the first place?

48 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Literally sick at the thought.

I think Billie is less likely to pull her tour as it’s usually just her and her brother up on stage.

Acts with a full band and a huge tour crew are the issue.

She still has a huge tour crew.

I think Billie’s safe. Even if there was some shit about travelling to Europe, she only has about 5 European shows and 20 in the UK & Ireland so she’d just move those Amsterdam, Paris, Munich, etc. arena dates to autumn and play the rest.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

She still has a huge tour crew.

I think Billie’s safe. Even if there was some shit about travelling to Europe, she only has about 5 European shows and 20 in the UK & Ireland so she’d just move those Amsterdam, Paris, Munich, etc. arena dates to autumn and play the rest.

It looks like Billie’s about to have a clean slate to dominating the festival / live music scene in 2022. Will set her up well for stadium dates in the future if she pulls off the biggest tour of the year.

Let's just get most of the 2008 lineup back on board, most must be on 15th anniversary tours for their debut albums by now. Get The Twang and Reverend and the Makers on the blower ASAP. No need for any of these fancy American acts. See if Little Man Tate fancy stopping over once Boothy's house party finally finishes.

29 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Let's just get most of the 2008 lineup back on board, most must be on 15th anniversary tours for their debut albums by now. Get The Twang and Reverend and the Makers on the blower ASAP. No need for any of these fancy American acts. See if Little Man Tate fancy stopping over once Boothy's house party finally finishes.

You joke but Foals and Florence and the Machine both played that year and are both actually headlining the Pyramid in June.

21 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

https://cat.elpais.com/cat/2022/01/28/actualidad/1643357558_837314.html

[quote]The situation of macrofestivals is complicated today. A panel with European festivals took place at the Eurosonic in Groningen 11 days ago where the development of this season has been discussed. Marta Pallarès, international press officer for Primavera Sound, took part in the meeting, pointing out some of the most immediate problems: “Great American artists are waiting to see how this wave is resolved and have not yet sent us the technical requirements of their assemblies, when normally by these dates we already had them. We also have a significant shortage of suppliers of all kinds: the covid-19 crisis has taken over companies and, on top of that, we all have to deal with the pandemic, ”he says. And he adds: “There is already talk of creating covid coordinationto fit the requirements of artists, the government of the Generalitat and the festival itself ”. There is also the strictly human factor: "There is a lack of staff to fill the most specialized jobs that require the assembly of a festival."[/quote]

Interesting...

I think this is more aimed at mainland European festivals but this is an interesting quote and article on the current situation, from the Primavera thread.