2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

52 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

No offence but you sound a bit old man shouting at cloud here. Kendrick is a headliner. He was headlining last time. If he plays he gets a decent crowd. He’s not a nobody even if he’s not at the top of everyone’s wishlist. Moving him to a smaller stage ain’t happening.

Also not too sure about the point that PSB will get a bigger crowd. 

What was the crowd size for Kanye? 

I'd hazard a guess at Kendrick's being smaller. Kanye's had many more songs cross over to the main stream.

That's just the way it works. I can completely see the point of view of someone who is a big Kenny fan but I think it's wishful thinking at this point to say without doubt he's going to get a massive crowd.

56 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Kendrick has a Pulitzer Prize? He’s a headliner. One of the biggest names in his field and already headlined Reading.

one of the biggest names in his field, but not in a glastonbury field.

If the headliners are Billie, Macca, Kendrick that’s an early, late and mid career artist. I think it’s a perfect balance of what they can book all relatively in different genres. Especially if all three headliners aren’t doing any other festivals (Aside from Coachella). It supports that Glastonbury is special because they can rope in artists that other festivals with all the money in the world can’t get.

Edited by Matt42
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If the headliners are Billie, Macca, Kendrick that’s an early, late and mid career artist. I think it’s a perfect balance of what they can book all relatively in different genres. Especially if all three headliners aren’t doing any other festivals (Aside from Coachella). It supports that Glastonbury is special because they can rope in artists that other festivals with all the money in the world can’t get.

Yep I 100% agree, something for everyone almost with these headliners.

There's no way Kendrick would perform anything under Pyramid headliner if you look at his slots at other festivals also. He's also due to release a new single before the Superbowl, so if that happens it looks very likely.

17 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Speaking of balance, I think the line up poster you predicted in another thread, with them putting Billie Eilish, Paul McCartney, Kendrick Lamar, Diana Ross, Dua Lipa, Harry Styles and Noel Galalgher as a sort of "top seven" on the poster might very likely happen. At least with the legends slot they've been actively moving away from just focussing on three headliners, haven't they? Also helps the gender balance.

Edited by ProperTea
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone else feel like Emily is pushing to change the attitudes of certain and let’s face it dated tastes of Glastonbury goers with booking Kendrick, Stormzy and Kanye. Even going back to Jay Z.

To me I’d say he’s one of the best and most important artists of our time. When people are singing Alright at BLM marches it elevates him to a position above streams and album sales. It’s bigger than Hip Hop.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Dont know whats harder to jump over. The festival fence or all the headliner gatekeeping.

if the headline acts arent satisfying a major part of the audience, how strong is glastonbury, in glasto's favour is that there arent obvious alternative acts that those peopkle would be happy with.

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

according to the info thats come my way, he is.

I'm looking forward to the Twitter meltdown when Harry Styles isn't announced. He seems to have more Stan accounts than Billie and Taylor combined and they're all very excited that he's going to headline Glastonbury. At least they are after someone has explained to them what Glastonbury is.

1 minute ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Does anyone else feel like Emily is pushing to change the attitudes of certain and let’s face it dated tastes of Glastonbury goers with booking Kendrick, Stormzy and Kanye. Even going back to Jay Z.

To me I’d say he’s one of the best and most important artists of our time. When people are singing Alright at BLM marches it elevates him to a position above streams and album sales. It’s bigger than Hip Hop.

I dunno if she's too bothered about changing the tastes of the regular attendees, I think it's more about living up to the remit of being the leading festival of contemporary music. Personally I think it's the festival's duty to keep on top of what's best in class at that particular moment in time, and if that doesn't suit the tastes of someone who has been for the last 10 years, then so be it. If the festival stays appealing to what was popular 15 years ago and is driven more by making the regulars happy than being at the forefront, it would just become a parody of itself. And ultimately, staying fresh and relevant will just cycle new fans in anyway. I think Glastonbury could probably do even more to stay on the cutting edge honestly, but I appreciate their position in charge of such an enormous ship where it's not so easy to do a hard left turn.

Really, for the examples you've given, it's hard to label yourself a festival of "contemporary performing arts" and NOT have those acts headline at some point, when you've got 3 slots per year to fill, regardless of how the "regulars" feel.

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'll be down the front for Kendrick bellowing along to every word.

Just look for the overweight, bald, middle aged white guy.

Will this be the most white, middle aged crowd Kendrick has appeared in front of? 

10 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

i don't think there's a plan but i do think the old farts like me need a kick up the arse, i'm not sure that a headliner has interested me since my first in 1986.