Stage Predictions 2022: For real this time

dentalplan

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Putting a hybrid of mine and @Ddiamondd’s prediction in poster format gets me excited. 

I moved Dua and Harry up into the top line bucket but it was difficult to format it and make it look pretty. So I put the rest of the subs up there to balance it out. 

Really have a hunch that Harry is happening and I reckon if he was bunched with the headliners on the poster like they do sometimes his team would be fine with it. The reason why I really think it’s him is current predictions are missing a big pyramid (non-headlining) pop name that the festival always gets. Think Miley, Katy Perry, Janet etc.

February let’s go!!!

edit: ffs forgot HAIM

B0CDC547-B869-4E83-B13E-CD81391E2697.png

Where are . playing?

Just now, Ddiamondd said:

I'd hold on this, for sure.

I still don't reckon Harry will trade a very real chance of headlining in 2023/24 for a sub now. However, if he did we might see something similar to Swedish House Mafia's odd Coachella billing — where they're credited as the largest sub and a quasi-4th headliner.

So that might be a row all to himself. "And welcoming to the farm: Harry Styles"

It seems like this is the year that Harry is hitting the circuit hard though. Sometimes it’s easy to think oh they will just be around next year, but if he’s doing festivals + big gigs in 2022 it kinda sounds like this is the year he’s going to play. He toured in 2021 too (I think only the US).

I’d be surprised if he hit the circuit in 2023 as hard as he looks to this year.

3 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

If it's a major sub on the Friday, I'd cross my fingers for Dave. He's in electric form atm.

I can’t make my mind up between Dave / Harry but I do think one of them will sub Billie. As you’ve said both are local and have the weekend free to play the festival. I really think one of them will pop up.

I know Harry is doing stadiums and Billie is doing arenas but Billie absolutely could have done stadiums looking at the amount of tickets she has sold. 

Edited by Matt42

21 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Done a little bit of tweaking to @Matt42's list, which looks to be pretty much all there.

Few acts removed (e.g. Editors no longer at RW, Clairo doesn't seem to be in the UK until September) + some additions knowing who's on the circuit and likely to place high (Mitski, Bonobo, Central Cee, Headie One, Leon Bridges) + a few hit & hopes (Alice Cooper, the 'Babes)

Friday

Pyramid: Billie Eilish // Royal Blood // Elbow // Olivia Rodrigo // Kacey Musgraves // The Waterboys // Rufus Wainwright // Michael Eavis' Best Year Ever Variety Hour

Other: Wolf Alice // Sam Fender // Glass Animals // Central Cee // Sigrid // Declan McKenna // Griff // Supergrass

West Holts: Bicep // Thundercat // Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes // Black Uhuru

John Peel: Primal Scream // Fontaines D.C // Rina Sawayama // Angel Olsen // Dry Cleaning

The Park: Caribou // Mitski // The Smile

Editors were never meant to play RW in 2020/2021/2022 and they have European festivals confirmed for June/July 2022, so they‘re still very likely. Clairo plays RW and Down The Rabbit Hole the weekend after Glasto, we should get her as well.

We had info here that Sam Fender is Other sub and it makes sense to place him before QOTSA. While this booking is doubtful now, the question is whether Sam Fender would be shifted to Other head or we get a replacement. Personally, I‘d guess Sam Fender into Royal Blood on the Other and Wolf Alice for a Pyramid sub or third down.

All in all I like these two predicitions. Lots of stuff we more or less confidently expect. Bring on some news!

Just now, Ddiamondd said:

Btw – reckon Bonobo, HAIM, The Jesus & Mary Chain, PinkPantheress, Leon Bridges and Central Cee get on the first announce poster if they're there, and I expect them all to be.

Ugh it’s so hard not to miss people.

Not too sure about Central Cee I think he could be bound for wireless as he’d probably command a big slot at glasto. 

1 minute ago, Pastor.Of.Muppets said:

Editors were never meant to play RW in 2020/2021/2022 and they have European festivals confirmed for June/July 2022, so they‘re still very likely. Clairo plays RW and Down The Rabbit Hole the weekend after Glasto, we should get her as well.

We had info here that Sam Fender is Other sub and it makes sense to place him before QOTSA. While this booking is doubtful now, the question is whether Sam Fender would be shifted to Other head or we get a replacement. Personally, I‘d guess Sam Fender into Royal Blood on the Other and Wolf Alice for a Pyramid sub or third down.

All in all I like these two predicitions. Lots of stuff we more or less confidently expect. Bring on some news!

I think it’s more likely Sam is subbing other on a different day.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I think it’s more likely Sam is subbing other on a different day.

So, on Sunday before PSB? Saturday would be a bit strange if we expect Noel and Macca on Pyramid. Yes, sometimes we get these weird placements (Radiohead vs. Flaming Lips was talked about a lot) but the Friday seems a very logical choice.

1 minute ago, Pastor.Of.Muppets said:

So, on Sunday before PSB? Saturday would be a bit strange if we expect Noel and Macca on Pyramid. Yes, sometimes we get these weird placements (Radiohead vs. Flaming Lips was talked about a lot) but the Friday seems a very logical choice.

We expect them 2 to be on Saturday so that’d work 

Just now, Pastor.Of.Muppets said:

Yup I think other stage will look like

Fri: Royal Blood // Wolf Alice // Supergrass // Anderson .Paak

Sat: Dua Lipa // Megan Thee Stallion // AJ Tracey // Fontaines D.C

Sun: Pet Shop Boys // Sam Fender // Robyn // Idles

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Would be praying for WH/JP/Park to come through for me on the Friday night. Seeing both Wolf Alice and Royal Blood within the next month or so and seeing WA again at Reading so not too concerned about them clashing with anyone at Glastonbury.

Still praying for Simz Friday night WH.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

That’s a very strong other lineup

3 minutes ago, sisco said:

That’s a very strong other lineup

The only thing I’m doubtful of is they might just give Wolf Alice that Friday headline.

A Friday top of something like this would work just as fine.

Wolf Alice // Supergrass // Anderson Paak // Blossoms 

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The only thing I’m doubtful of is they might just give Wolf Alice that Friday headline.

A Friday top of something like this would work just as fine.

Wolf Alice // Supergrass // Anderson Paak // Blossoms 

Certainly would for me. Wolf Alice headlining a stage against anyone barring Macca would be beautiful

44 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Good info! Didn't spot that about Clairo, so she'd definitely be in. 

As for Editors, fair enough. Having them headline the JP seems like a dull option when Primal Scream, Charli XCX, Jesus & Mary Chain, Fontaines, Idles, FKA Twigs would all be in the mixer. But definitely sponges up a certain demographic so I'll take you at your word on that too.

I think this sort of thing will be one of the most interesting things from this years lineup. The 2020 lineup was good and most of those acts do seem to be around this summer but equally, there’s so many acts available who either hadn’t broken through in 2020 or now have new material to tour with. I think rolling the 2020 lineup over to 2021 made sense but two years on, quite a lot has changed. Most festivals seem to have moved on somewhat from their 2020 lineups, yes there’s a lot of crossover but it’s about booking the best lineup possible, which will include a fair chunk of the 2020 lineup but also plenty of other acts too. It'll be interesting to see how Glastonbury work around that.

Yeah most festivals seem to have moved on from their 2020 structure. I know my prediction isn’t that far off what they had in 2020, but it’s hard really to vision the lineup outside of what they had in mind for 2020.

I do think too that some acts will have been offered slots for 2023 rather than being directly rebooked. Some acts may just vanish off the lineup with little explanation, especially if they are touring nearby.

6 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Right. Things shift quickly — already Gayle, Wet Leg & PinkPantheress seem like surefire mid-high JP bookings. Mitski wasn't touring in 2020 or 21 but I'd expect a Park headline or sub position is in the offing. On the other hand, Clairo had a flimsy second LP which dampened a lot of her buzz. Tones and I's album last year failed to chart in the UK at all.

Only a few months back I'd have had Glass Animals as JP headliner/sub but now I reckon they're 3rd-from-top Other. Might be Streets-level overcrowding in a tent.

Gonna be fascinating to see how it all shakes out.

Tones and I is a great example. Not my thing at all but she made sense as a JP booking in 2020. Two years on it’s hard to imagine her drawing a big crowd and it would feel quite dated compared to having one of the other acts you mentioned. 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Putting a hybrid of mine and @Ddiamondd’s prediction in poster format gets me excited. 

I moved Dua and Harry up into the top line bucket but it was difficult to format it and make it look pretty. So I put the rest of the subs up there to balance it out. 

Really have a hunch that Harry is happening and I reckon if he was bunched with the headliners on the poster like they do sometimes his team would be fine with it. The reason why I really think it’s him is current predictions are missing a big pyramid (non-headlining) pop name that the festival always gets. Think Miley, Katy Perry, Janet etc.

February let’s go!!!

edit: ffs forgot HAIM

B0CDC547-B869-4E83-B13E-CD81391E2697.png

Seeing this really makes you think how complicated the Glasto poster format is.

Obviously its just an example but commonly:

The big acts aren’t inline with eachother

some subs are big, some aren’t

some other headliners are big, some aren’t

same slot has wildly different placing

legend act big, special guests too + other random stuff

1 hour ago, Pastor.Of.Muppets said:

Would be very happy to see Clairo clash dependent

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Would the big pop act not just be Meg? She could easily go in 4th-down in a similar position to Camilla last year and tick that box

59 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Would the big pop act not just be Meg? She could easily go in 4th-down in a similar position to Camilla last year and tick that box

I mean Olivia could be too but I’m thinking a big pop act in a sub / third down position. I don’t think meg will be placed there I think she will sub other.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

O-Rod is yesterday's news already, gramps.

All about Gayle in 2022

Doubt that. She’s about to sweep the Grammies + probably pick up a few Brit awards. 2022 will be a big year for her with the sour tour too.

Also she’s just been cast in a big movie coming soon too right? I think O Rod is here to stay.

59 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I mean Olivia could be too but I’m thinking a big pop act in a sub / third down position. I don’t think meg will be placed there I think she will sub other.

I mean we only had Camilla for that in 2020 and she definitely wasnt getting that big of a slot.

Lots of people are competing for Other Sub (Sam Fender, Wolf Alice, AJ Tracey, Jorja Smith, Glass Animals?, Jamie XX?) and she seems like a nobrainer for a mid-afternoon pyramid slot.