Neil Young 2020

marcwilson87

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

I don't think this was a coincidence that it all happened on the day Rogan dropped one of his biggest podcasts, a four hour chat with Jordan Peterson. A red pill wet dream.

I can't bear the idea of listening to it, but caught some "highlights", wherein two guys with absolutely zero background in physical sciences denounce the credibility of climate change... and for that reason, I'm out.

I listened to about an hour out of morbid curiosity. Peterson makes Rogan sound like the voice of reason. He is completely deranged. More so than ever. I guess the drugs really don’t work.

If you want to skip the good times and go directly to that grim sensation of suddenly coming to in some ket den afterparty at 7am listening to a load of absolutely garbled word soup from a pair of pound shop philosophers going off on a series of increasingly bizarre and irrelevant tangents… then give it a listen. Or do yourself a favour and take my word for it. 

Edited by mattiloy

Totally with Neil on this one. He's got the power to draw attention to Spotify's laissez-faire attitude to profiting from dangerous nonsense, and won't care if it costs him. And of course he is particularly pro-vaccine, having suffered from polio as a kid.

Amusing, though, that this comes after his fight with Tidal last year - took all his tracks off there because Tidal did some audio-twiddling and labelled the results 'Masters' (some but not all of it is back on there now). And he does have his own subscription 'Neil Young Archives' website where you can listen to all his stuff for a fee. I wonder what reason he's going to find to fight with Apple Music?

6 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Totally with Neil on this one. He's got the power to draw attention to Spotify's laissez-faire attitude to profiting from dangerous nonsense, and won't care if it costs him. And of course he is particularly pro-vaccine, having suffered from polio as a kid.

Amusing, though, that this comes after his fight with Tidal last year - took all his tracks off there because Tidal did some audio-twiddling and labelled the results 'Masters' (some but not all of it is back on there now). And he does have his own subscription 'Neil Young Archives' website where you can listen to all his stuff for a fee. I wonder what reason he's going to find to fight with Apple Music?

He'll find something. And he'll probably be right. 

Hes never had any issues with his beliefs, even if its potantially damaging to him. Left Buffalo Springfield just before Monterrey, refused to be filmed at Woodstock, has binned countless tours on the eve of the tour, has recorded but not released great albums, took on Geffen rather amusingly, Trump, fell out with Crosby, Tidal, Spotify.... 

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

On a slightly different topic, I'm currently swithering between springing for Young Shakespeare or Carnegie Hall 1970.

Anyone au fait which may be the better call (other than the latter being longer)?

I go for Carnegie Hall.

Shakespeare is essentially the same as Massey Hall. Identical setlists I think?

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I go for Carnegie Hall.

Shakespeare is essentially the same as Massey Hall. Identical setlists I think?

Cheers.  Probably should have said that Massey Hall is mibbe my favourite of his live albums, but copies on wax go for a fortune - and Young Shakespeare sounds like it may be decent substitute (though shorter, again).

34 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Cheers.  Probably should have said that Massey Hall is mibbe my favourite of his live albums, but copies on wax go for a fortune - and Young Shakespeare sounds like it may be decent substitute (though shorter, again).

Can't believe how much Massey Hall goes for now, it's become the second most valuable item in my collection, very lucky to have got a copy when I did.

People will pay top dollar to listen Neil tune his guitar. 

Anyway, you've inspired me and I've dug it out.

Edited by Gnomicide

4 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Does anyone have a download of/access to Neil's full 2009 set?

It's always irked me that there's only 40m available on Youtube, and perhaps all the BBC broadcast that night. But it's short of Hey Hey My My, Cinnamon Girl, Down By The River, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere... etc. Feels like a real miss from a classic set.

Help in tracking the rest down appreciated 🙂

I think many songs in the set never went out live, were never broadcast on the BBC, and therefore no YouTube record exists of the entire show. They were, nonetheless, no doubt recorded, and therefore sit in a BBC vault somewhere. There are are positives and negatives to this scenario.

Not recoded by the BBC....

Always loved this one, from the very start..

Edited by bamber

4 hours ago, bamber said:

I think many songs in the set never went out live, were never broadcast on the BBC, and therefore no YouTube record exists of the entire show. They were, nonetheless, no doubt recorded, and therefore sit in a BBC vault somewhere. There are are positives and negatives to this scenario.

Not recoded by the BBC....

Always loved this one, from the very start..

I ask every few months for the BBC to pull out Springsteen doing Joe Strummer’s Coma Girl at the start of his set…. They must have it on tape somewhere…. Unfortunately I think it’s gonna end up with Neil’s set in a vault somewhere 

Edited by TheSheriff
Gea

13 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Does anyone have a download of/access to Neil's full 2009 set?

It's always irked me that there's only 40m available on Youtube, and perhaps all the BBC broadcast that night. But it's short of Hey Hey My My, Cinnamon Girl, Down By The River, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere... etc. Feels like a real miss from a classic set.

Help in tracking the rest down appreciated 🙂

And half of that is the guitar solo to Rockin' in the Free World.

I'll get me coat.

29 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Nils Lofgren now joining the boycott of Spotify. With any luck, his boss will step up too.

Spotify have responded saying that will add ‘content advisory’ notices to potentially inaccurate podcasts. As if that will have any impact on anything.

The people who listen to this bullshit will see that more like a recommendation. It's like the Channel 4 red triangle from the 80s

On 1/29/2022 at 6:47 PM, jump said:

So Spotify is down by 4 billion in stock, so does that mean Neil wins?

no, harry and megan win, they keep their mega bucks contract and get to keep living the high life at our expense.