Adele

brettredmayne

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Expectation now that it is unlikely the shows will be rescheduled this year. This leads me to think this probably won’t happen. Apparently Keith urban and Rod Stewart have the venue booked out until late 2022.

She has a terrible track record for rescheduling shows and I think this is the next chapter in it. 

This is piss poor behaviour and as the “name above the door” Adele needs to be held to account for it. For all her teary apologies and blaming Covid it seems the show wasn’t going to be ready any time soon anyway.

Surely if there were any debates between artist and promoter over what the show looks like they should have been resolved before the contracts were even signed, not still rumbling on as late as opening night!

This feels like a cynical cash grab that Adele was complicit in “announce some shows, bank the ticket money and we’ll throw something together later”.

It fucking stinks and she shouldn’t be let off just because of who she is.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Yeah, that's in smoke now isn't it? There's only so far you/your fans/your boosters in the media can push the line about being relatable when the accumulation of your actions signal you might have tipped the line from diva to karen [mileage varies with these terms].

Rumours suggesting there was a difference of vision between Caesar's and Adele, but that could be some orchestrated hide-covering. The other, louder, well sourced rumours about using non-unionised workers and pushing contractors 18 hours a day seem to point in quite a grim direction. Tack on a covid excuse that no-one apart from Jeremy Clarkson's daughter seems to be buying and it's genuinely awful PR.

There's a real, visceral backlash on Adele's Reddit at the moment. Her core fans, like the absolute most committed, are crestfallen and many are saying this represents a break with the woman they thought she was. That's pretty bad. 

My gut feeling is the residency gets scrapped, maybe BST too, and she ends the 30 cycle early. The reaction to go to ground would be understandable — this is a bit of a 'halo fallen' moment.

As I said earlier, the whole enterprise has just felt so cynical. Just get the tickets on sale and they can just knock some shit up later that people will lap up.

I feel for anyone that spent the money on travel, accommodation etc that they won't get back. 

I feel even more so for those that lost out due to the Wembley cancellations and then proceeded to buy tickets and plan a trip for Vegas, to them lose out again. I would defo struggle to stay a fan if I was in that position.

I know this is dramatic but I genuinely wonder if this is the beginning of her coming down from the untouchable position she’s been in for years. The height she reached can’t last forever and I think it’s more likely she will vanish for another 8 years and come back but probably with no live shows this time. 

Edited by Matt42

7 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Don't think that's dramatic at all. Can't say whether she's peaked as a cultural force, but this episode has taken quite a considerable amount of gloss off her rep. When people are using concert cancellation as a jump-off to spear your arrogance and generally jarring vibe, it ain't great.

Not sure it’ll do too much damage to her reputation in this country as it may have flown under the radar a little, especially the deeper issues behind the cancellations.  If she pulls this shit over BST then all hell will break loose.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Ah you know, I don't reckon so. Been on This Morning constantly, BBC News had it on a chyron, the Mail is running about 5 columns a day on how it was really production issues not covid, and even Piers has weighed in: https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/piers-morgan-blasts-adele-privileged-26048809

Anecdotally, it's lighting up my group chats — even the ones who don't usually care about Adele's music or Vegas, etc. It's definitely cut through.

Fair enough. I suppose I don’t really pay attention to the places where it would blow up.

13 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

This is piss poor behaviour and as the “name above the door” Adele needs to be held to account for it. For all her teary apologies and blaming Covid it seems the show wasn’t going to be ready any time soon anyway.

Surely if there were any debates between artist and promoter over what the show looks like they should have been resolved before the contracts were even signed, not still rumbling on as late as opening night!

This feels like a cynical cash grab that Adele was complicit in “announce some shows, bank the ticket money and we’ll throw something together later”.

It fucking stinks and she shouldn’t be let off just because of who she is.

If you want to point towards anyone nudging her in that direction, then Rich Paul is it. Leave it to a sports agent Bf who didnt take a lot of things into consideration. I mean it is on her for deciding so late and then having production issues. This story popped up today and has some other details. Not being able to get through a rehearsal, production disagreements etc. Also, Keith Urban took up 2 weekends that Adele left open now. There are literally no substantial gaps on the venues schedule til next year which would really piss people off. In other news, Katy Perry added 16 more Vegas dates which prob sell out.

https://www.ticketnews.com/2022/01/as-adele-drama-unfolds-keith-urban-grabs-four-colosseum-dates/

The Popbitch take:

Just before news broke in the papers, we told our Club Popbitch subscribers on Monday the real reason Adele's Vegas show got cancelled was because she hated the set design – particularly the big swimming pool that set designer Esmerelda Devlin had plonked on the stage (Adele's response on seeing it: "I ain't getting in no empty pond and I ain't doing the whole show in water.")

This isn't the first time Es Devlin's ideas have been met with disapproval by the talent. One of Es's more notable contributions to Beyoncé's Formation tour was a huge, inflatable lotus flower. The lotus motif was part of the tour's aesthetic, but Es's giant inflatable caused big problems. Mostly on account of the fact that, on the occasions it worked, it looked like a humungous fanny.

FYI: A good rule of thumb for telling how well things are going on an Es Devlin production? When things are peachy, she's billed as "Creative Director". When they get tense, she suddenly starts being described as "Set Designer".

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

If she can’t have these rescheduled until 2023 I reckon they simply will not be rescheduled 

The interesting thing here is that with there not being much room later this year it seems that extra dates would be few and far between. As mentioned, Katy Perry added 16 dates to her residency and those were all planned out in advance. Same thing happened with Gaga since she signed on for 75 dates in total. So Adele was only doing these and that was it? They knew the golden goose that they had landed so why not plan for future dates and have them blocked out?

Edited by Suprefan

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

The interesting thing here is that with there not being much room later this year it seems that extra dates would be few and far between. As mentioned, Katy Perry added 16 dates to her residency and those were all planned out in advance. Same thing happened with Gaga since she signed on for 75 dates in total. So Adele was only doing these and that was it? They knew the golden goose that they had landed so why not plan for future dates and have them blocked out?

I won’t be surprised if she was only planning to do one run. Less touring is more touring to Adele

50 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I won’t be surprised if she was only planning to do one run. Less touring is more touring to Adele

No way. Too much money to be made in all this. Hardly anyone does a short residency and calls it quits with this demand. Hell, she could stop making music and make more money in Vegas then Celine Deion did in her years long residency. Agents and management knew this was gonna sell out in no time, you keep it going. 

7 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

No way. Too much money to be made in all this. Hardly anyone does a short residency and calls it quits with this demand. Hell, she could stop making music and make more money in Vegas then Celine Deion did in her years long residency. Agents and management knew this was gonna sell out in no time, you keep it going. 

And they were all too busy counting the money to actually put a show together…

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Adele doesn't need money.  Ultimately, this is cancelled because she didn't want to do it.  If her livelihood depended on it, she'd have made it work.  After all, she's famous for standing there and belting out her hits, not choreographed routines and stage shows.  

Really think this will put a ? over anyone trying to book her for an extended period of dates in the future. The bad press from this may cause her to cancel BST I reckon if they are the only shows she is going to play in 2022.

Edited by Matt42

2 hours ago, stuie said:

Adele doesn't need money.  Ultimately, this is cancelled because she didn't want to do it.  If her livelihood depended on it, she'd have made it work.  After all, she's famous for standing there and belting out her hits, not choreographed routines and stage shows.  

She's was gallivanting around all over the place when she played El Pointo.

On 1/27/2022 at 12:22 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Katy Perry should maybe have slammed on the brakes before going ahead with a Vegas residency that features her singing with a giant jobbie on an enormous toilet.

52404765-10358453-image-m-5_164095165894

What the absolute fuck is this?

I mean, is this what Perry fans are after? Singing turds?

Is this what she dreamt of as a little girl? one day I'll play Vegas and duet with an eight foot long shit!

And.... is that a piece of sweetcorn?