LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Posting again as it comes in handy:

Year  |  Poster  | Bal Deadline | Days between
2009      25/05     01/02                 -113
2010      14/04     28/02                   -45
2011      14/04     07/04                     -7
2013      27/03     08/04                    12
2014      04/04     07/04                      3
2015      14/04     01/04                   -13
2016      29/03     07/04                      9
2017      30/03     07/04                      8
2019      15/03     07/04                    20
2020      12/03     07/04                    23
2022       ??/??     07/03                     ??

God anyone with a ticket in 2009 must've been pulling their hair out.

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Posting again as it comes in handy:

Year  |  Poster  | Bal Deadline | Days between
2009      25/05     01/02                 -113
2010      14/04     28/02                   -45
2011      14/04     07/04                     -7
2013      27/03     08/04                    12
2014      04/04     07/04                      3
2015      14/04     01/04                   -13
2016      29/03     07/04                      9
2017      30/03     07/04                      8
2019      15/03     07/04                    20
2020      12/03     07/04                    23
2022       ??/??     07/03                     ??

Right then. 14th Feb it is. 2 weeks before the balance window opens and a lovely Valentines Day gift.

Also rather excitingly, we're only about 7 or 8 weeks? until we can all spend our days watching the site build on the webcam!

9 minutes ago, 1986 said:

God anyone with a ticket in 2009 must've been pulling their hair out.

It was expected so people were fine with it.

It's only the last 12 years people have got entitled about early announcements - prior to 2010, it was typical to get the announcement about a month before the Festival - for most of the 00s you might get the odd name or two early, but most acts were announced in the June issue of Q magazine (published at the end of May) and the copy of The Guardian that came out the same day.

30 minutes ago, incident said:

It's only the last 12 years people have got entitled about early announcements - prior to 2010, it was typical to get the announcement about a month before the Festival - for most of the 00s you might get the odd name or two early, but most acts were announced in the June issue of Q magazine (published at the end of May) and the copy of The Guardian that came out the same day.

It's crazy when you look at that now. 2002 didn't come out until a week before the festival when The Guardian published it and it still had a headliner missing.

They (Stereophonics) weren't announced until the Wednesday of the festival, though back then not many people went on the Wednesday. 

People would be losing their shit if that happened again.

17 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

It's crazy when you look at that now. 2002 didn't come out until a week before the festival when The Guardian published it and it still had a headliner missing.

They (Stereophonics) weren't announced until the Wednesday of the festival, though back then not many people went on the Wednesday. 

People would be losing their shit if that happened again.

Amazing how times have changed!

30 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Amazing how times have changed!

It's a sign of where we are now as a world in general. We all want to know everything yesterday and that spontaneity aspect of committing to something without knowing has gone.

It would be quite interesting to see the % of those who hold a ticket for this year who would have bought a ticket if they knew they wouldn't know the full lineup until a week before the festival.

What do we think? Below 50%?

Edited by JoeyT

I'd quite happily wait until the week before for the line up. The festival is the draw and the music a fabulous addition!

In fact I'd prefer looking forward to it more!

I am also the type of person who will leave a present until the day its due regardless of when its given, enjoy waiting for the surprise and will happily be patient!

I do appreciate that this makes me slightly strange. (drives my misses insane as she can't hold her own water!)

13 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

It would be quite interesting to see the % of those who hold a ticket for this year who would have bought a ticket if they knew they wouldn't know the full lineup until a week before the festival.

Above 80%, and I think that's a conservative estimate.

Many of them would still moan about it though.

1 hour ago, incident said:

We fucking well were not!

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, drunk pumpkin said:

I'd quite happily wait until the week before for the line up. The festival is the draw and the music a fabulous addition!

In fact I'd prefer looking forward to it more!

I am also the type of person who will leave a present until the day its due regardless of when its given, enjoy waiting for the surprise and will happily be patient!

I do appreciate that this makes me slightly strange. (drives my misses insane as she can't hold her own water!)

For me the biggest problem with the late announcement would be the lack of time to research acts and plan.

Hello, person from the olden days here.  Most of us were not cool with not knowing what was on at the festival months after paying off the balance in 2009.  We had computers back then, believe it or not we also had clashfinders and were generally losing our shit back in 2009, desperate for info.  I'm sure if you look at the archives of a website called "efestivals", you will see people like myself* getting rather antsy at the lack of info.

* I joined that** year, but didn't post much yet.

** Just checked, I actually joined the year before, so probably was quite vocal and impatient.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

I like the spontaneity in theory but I'm with @HughJassI want to plan my weekend and get hyped up.

If i had to pay first, particularly this year, I would, but throwing down half a monkey on a weekend ticket is a big investment and it's not much to ask to know what you're paying for. 

15 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Hello, person from the olden days here.  Most of us were not cool with not knowing what was on at the festival months after paying off the balance in 2009.  We had computers back then, believe it or not we also had clashfinders and were generally losing our shit back in 2009, desperate for info.  I'm sure if you look at the archives of a website called "efestivals", you will see people like myself* getting rather antsy at the lack of info.

** Just checked, I actually joined the year before, so probably was quite vocal and impatient.

It's nice to know, sure.  But you, me and most people who are on this forum in January would still buy tickets and pay our balances even if no line up was released until the gates open! 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Disagree strongly.

Sure people would've liked it to have been announced sooner, there was certainly anticipation for the lineup drop and attempts to piece the info we had together, but that's not the same thing. We knew the score regarding Q in late May so you didn't get the petulant toys out of the pram "why haven't they announced the lineup yet" type posts that have become common in the past few years and we'll doubtless see again starting in a couple weeks if it's not out by then. Basically, it's all a lot more negative now.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

For me the biggest problem with the late announcement would be the lack of time to research acts and plan.

Yup definitely. I'm by no means a music fan to the extent most people on here are, so I like having the line up as early as possible to find out new acts I'll enjoy. New acts for me mainly means acts who everyone here is already well established with.

That being said I'd happily rock up at the festival on the Wednesday without a clue and find out from the programme. Always going to be 3/4 acts each day I'll be mega hyped to see, don't necessarily need much more than that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

It's a sign of where we are now as a world in general. We all want to know everything yesterday and that spontaneity aspect of committing to something without knowing has gone.

Its more due to competition now than anything - although with covid announcements have got crazy early. Once you announce super early its quite hard to go back to a few months before.

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Different times but pre the massive BBC coverage and all that, a major factor would be if you've been before.

Now I've been and know what to expect, yes, of course I'd get a ticket but in 2002? No chance. To be honest, back when I was doing other festivals in the 80s, I still said no chance even when I'd seen the Glastonbury lineup. 

I much prefer getting the lineup well in advance so research can be done. I've found some of my favourite bands by listening to them before going to a festival they are on. Good chance I'd have missed them (particularly at Glastonbury) if I'd not listened to them first.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Different times but pre the massive BBC coverage and all that, a major factor would be if you've been before.

Now I've been and know what to expect, yes, of course I'd get a ticket but in 2002? No chance. To be honest, back when I was doing other festivals in the 80s, I still said no chance even when I'd seen the Glastonbury lineup. 

I much prefer getting the lineup well in advance so research can be done. I've found some of my favourite bands by listening to them before going to a festival they are on. Good chance I'd have missed them (particularly at Glastonbury) if I'd not listened to them first.

The listening part is a key thing to be fair thats overlooked - its so easy to listen now so you could have it announced a few days before and throw together a quick spotify playlist at least whereas then it would just be showing up to random acts.

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

I'd say this is completely dependent on if people have been before or not. 

I'd guess 80%+ of those who've been before wouldn't mind and would book a ticket anyway. This will be my 4th and although I'm more invested in this forum than my job, I don't NEED the lineup. 

However, taking a bunch of first timers this year they really want to know who is playing. Most were satisfied by a deep dive into past lineups but we've got 1 trying for the resale who is a little apprehensive.