Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

Things I’d like to see.

Dozzy on The Glade 4 hour set. 

Harvey in the Downlow.

Jane Fitz somewhere, anywhere. 

Josey Rebelle given a 4 hour set somewhere. 

Skream dubstep set.

Job Jobse pill set like this 

https://m.soundcloud.com/jobjobse/sunrise-at-the-last-ever-nachtdigital?in=annette-stephany/sets/dachiko

Octo Octa b2b Eris Drew 

Interested to see what Icon comes up with this year, I thought it was incredible last time. Truth be told since 2019 I haven’t been into electronic music like I was due to not being able to go out/falling out of the routine listening to mixes/new releases.

Anyone wanna share the best things of last year/year before?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Have they had 3 years? I doubt they’ve been at much during the pandemic. The money certainly hasn’t been rolling in from a worldwide tour like the spider used to do. It’ll probably be much the same as 2019 I think. I enjoyed it. 

That's a fair point, I guess time doesn't necessary reflect the opportunity to develop in this instance

46 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

On that note @Dukeicon  any ideas when it was supposed to be removed by ? 

Not sure but here's the planning documents. I'd imagine COVID has had some affect on getting it removed, plus they wouldn't really want to get a crane up there on wet grass.

https://publicaccess.mendip.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=Q6YWYWKPL7T00

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yeah it would as it appears to still be there …  maybe a local can confirm as Obs the webcam is down … I’d also be surprised if the south east corner hasn’t had some renaming and changes 

15 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That's a fair point, I guess time doesn't necessary reflect the opportunity to develop in this instance

My guess is (purely a guess) that Pangea will be no more and they will return to the tried and tested free standing spider that doesn't require planning consent.  Pangea wasn't widely well received and clearly requires a lot more development and money.  I'd be surprised if they throw more money at it when they know they can't get permission to keep it.  The applications were only for temporary permission until 2023 anyway. 

12 minutes ago, stuie said:

My guess is (purely a guess) that Pangea will be no more and they will return to the tried and tested free standing spider that doesn't require planning consent.  Pangea wasn't widely well received and clearly requires a lot more development and money.  I'd be surprised if they throw more money at it when they know they can't get permission to keep it.  The applications were only for temporary permission until 2023 anyway. 

Ah, RIP the Crane, we hardly knew ye.

I'm all for progression and new innovation but there's nothing like being underneath the belly of the beast that is the spider.

14 minutes ago, stuie said:

Yeah that’s a reasonable assumption… I’d hesitate to say that those acts listed seem like they were for Pangea rather than Arcadia … we will see fairly soon anyway … I’d personally like to see Pangea grow as I have arcadia and quite like seeing the development aspect … and really can’t see where the spider would develop now … 

2 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Things I’d like to see.

Dozzy on The Glade 4 hour set. 

Harvey in the Downlow.

Jane Fitz somewhere, anywhere. 

Josey Rebelle given a 4 hour set somewhere. 

Skream dubstep set.

Job Jobse pill set like this 

https://m.soundcloud.com/jobjobse/sunrise-at-the-last-ever-nachtdigital?in=annette-stephany/sets/dachiko

Octo Octa b2b Eris Drew 

Interested to see what Icon comes up with this year, I thought it was incredible last time. Truth be told since 2019 I haven’t been into electronic music like I was due to not being able to go out/falling out of the routine listening to mixes/new releases.

I love a man with ambition!

How many 4-hout sets can anyone remember from ever? Coxy played for 3h45m (by the lineup listings) at the Glade in 2019, of course, but I can't think of any other truly long sets...

What have we got?

Ben

Edit: oh, and Jane Fitz - I'll be right by your side...

Edited by bennyhana22

1 hour ago, Dukeicon said:

Not sure but here's the planning documents. I'd imagine COVID has had some affect on getting it removed, plus they wouldn't really want to get a crane up there on wet grass.

https://publicaccess.mendip.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=Q6YWYWKPL7T00

Apologies for being lazy and not reading the planning stuff, but I seem to remember (probably erroneously) that they were pretty sure they wouldn't het planning permission to leave the base in place forever, but that it was 'OK' for a year or so more after 2019.

Before the webcam went down it was ever present in the Arcadia field and I though that there were defo plans for Pangea Mk 2 for 2020, even if the long term future was uncertain.

TBH, given the time and financial investment they made in the project, I'd be very surprised if the crane is not there this year, again even if its days are numbered at Glastonbury , at least, due to planning.

I guess the main issue that it was going to take something monumental to follow the spider and not always be a little bit of a deflated balloon.

Ben 

8 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Apologies for being lazy and not reading the planning stuff, but I seem to remember (probably erroneously) that they were pretty sure they wouldn't het planning permission to leave the base in place forever, but that it was 'OK' for a year or so more after 2019.

Before the webcam went down it was ever present in the Arcadia field and I though that there were defo plans for Pangea Mk 2 for 2020, even if the long term future was uncertain.

TBH, given the time and financial investment they made in the project, I'd be very surprised if the crane is not there this year, again even if its days are numbered at Glastonbury , at least, due to planning.

I guess the main issue that it was going to take something monumental to follow the spider and not always be a little bit of a deflated balloon.

Ben 

The thing is though, if they want to keep the council on side, ignoring the results of a planning application and an appeal might not be the way to do it.   They state in their application statements that it's not feasible to remove the base between festivals so whilst they may be able to drag out the removal of the base until after this years festival, there's little point throwing more cash at it. 

Isn't it lovely to start speculating about the stages and line ups 🙂

38 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

How many 4-hout sets can anyone remember from ever? Coxy played for 3h45m (by the lineup listings) at the Glade in 2019, of course, but I can't think of any other truly long sets...

What have we got?

Ben

Craig Charles in Shangri-La

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, gfa said:

I’m surprised nobody is talking about Field Day’s lineup additions - i’m seriously regretting not getting tickets at £40, fantastic lineup.

hope we see fjaak at glastonbury 

Sound was dreadful last year. 2.5 hour mayhem queues to get in - people having panic attacks because of crushes in the queues.

Security actively lifting people from the crowd for drug searches.

not a good vibes festival, wouldn’t go back at all. The sound definitely the worst aspect.

4 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yeah it would as it appears to still be there …  maybe a local can confirm as Obs the webcam is down … I’d also be surprised if the south east corner hasn’t had some renaming and changes 

There was nothing different in August when it was worthy pastures. I had a wonder and just empty fields. Obviously nothing would be up but layout wise there was nothing they'd built like the Spike. 

Im surprised they don't build more semi permanent stuff like the walkabout in the Wood and Spike. 

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

What have we got?

Ben

I only know of the Carl Cox one also. I think they should start doing proper sets though maybe as a special thing if they get a big name or a really well respected one. Money aside what is their reason for not doing so do we think?

4 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Truth be told since 2019 I haven’t been into electronic music like I was due to not being able to go out/falling out of the routine listening to mixes/new releases.

Four Tet and TSHA lost village 2021 have both been released on souundcloud, both very solid sets . Four tet's is a thing of beauty as always 

Ben UFO essential mix 25th September 2021

Daniel Avery's and DJ Seinfelds latest albums are a really nice listen, exactly how an electronic album should be (also the Lone Swordsman by Avery is a beautiful track)

Literally anything that Haai's doing, the girl is absolutely smashing it at the moment for me, the new track with Romy and Fred Again

some quality artists are going Live more - i.e. Bicep, Overmono, Prospa and Ross from Friends (also phenomenal new album for me)

Y U QT is a very nice artist at the minute as well who I'd like to see somewhere on the lineup, for your garage-y type stuff 

sort of unrelated but i also wanna throw Dixon in the mix of someone i wanna see this year as he's always been a ship in the night/the unfortunate compromise in clashes 

and also happy 500 pages to the best thread on the site , thanking you all for the great recommendations over the years! Love

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I only know of the Carl Cox one also. I think they should start doing proper sets though maybe as a special thing if they get a big name or a really well respected one. Money aside what is their reason for not doing so do we think?

I would say it's because it's not seen as that kind of festival. It's not Houghton, Freerotation, Gottwood etc, and so the line-up is curated for variety, keeping the largest number engaged and entertained etc. 

How many 'all-genres' festivals have regular 3-4h sets? Not many, I'd say. Even Boomtown, which is probably the danciest of the multi-genre biggies, doesn't have 3-4h sets in any significant way. A shame, I agree, but I'd be more surprised if they did have them, tbh...

The only place I could really see that being a regular thing, I think, would be the Downlow.

Ben 

1 hour ago, MaxPower said:

Sound was dreadful last year. 2.5 hour mayhem queues to get in - people having panic attacks because of crushes in the queues.

Security actively lifting people from the crowd for drug searches.

not a good vibes festival, wouldn’t go back at all. The sound definitely the worst aspect.

Oh thats rubbish, i have enjoyed the main APE festival both times i’ve been

Just to recap this is what we have:

Carl Cox, Chems, Aphex Twin, Love Regenerator, Chase and Status from JoeyT

Then four tet, chems, chase and status, calvin harris and annie mac from crazyfool right?

will be very happy if we get even half of this. anyone got anything else to share while we’re at it? 😉

39 minutes ago, gfa said:

Just to recap this is what we have:

Carl Cox, Chems, Aphex Twin, Love Regenerator, Chase and Status from JoeyT

Then four tet, chems, chase and status, calvin harris and annie mac from crazyfool right?

will be very happy if we get even half of this. anyone got anything else to share while we’re at it? 😉

Nothing to add from a vague inkling perspective, but in terms of wish list?

Oscar Mulero would be the dream.

Ben

3 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben 

The main issue was that they wanted to keep the bottom 20.4m of crane (what was on the webcam) up all year around for 4 years to save them taking it down and putting it up.

There's never been any issue with it being at festivals subsuquent to the 2019 festival, so long as it's built and taken down in the 28 days permitted development in connection with the festival, as permitted with the General Permitted Development Order 2015 (GPDO).

Just means they have 1.5 weeks pre-festival to put it up, 1 week of the festival and 1.5 weeks post festival to remove. This means more money is needed on staff to rig/de-rig each year (which was one of their points when they applied for planning the second time).