When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

How many people do you think regularly wear them in places like Japan and so on?

But that protection won't be as broad as that of a vaccine and will wane more quickly. If he'd been infected a few months ago then it'd be perfectly reasonable to put off getting vaccinated for a few months more, but not to decide not to take it entirely.

I don't care that much if some NHS IT guy has the vaccine or not but given the choice I'd rather not have treatment proscribed for me by someone who thinks vaccines are pointless.

A choice being taken away from all of us. Can't even go private as it applies there too - so much for the free market...

And yeah i agree even if its the right thing to do the non public facing roles, especially those at admin only centres it's a bit pointless. Similar to the Australian mandates for people who work 100% remotely 

Its only front line according to the telegraph article I quoted yesterday:

All frontline staff are required to have two jabs by April 1, meaning the first dose must have been administered by Feb 3. More than 80,000 – six per cent of the workforce – remain unvaccinated despite repeated efforts to boost take-up.

NHS guidance to employers says all frontline staff who have not been vaccinated should start being called into formal meetings from Feb 4 and warned that they face dismissal. Dismissal notices will start being issued from that day, with the notice period ending on March 31.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You know we live in the UK right ? The idea we are suddenly going to adopt a full on Japanese culture is laughable.

The science tells us he will probably retain T Cell protection and won't suffer serious health issues if reinfected.  We knows this.  You are largely talking about upfront protection from infection - something the vaccine only offers 30% protection against after a few months.  

So you want 30% protection against just infection traded in for 80,000 NHS workers out of a job.

I literally said I didn't think there was a medical justification for it.

I just think not taking the vaccine is stupid, and someone that doesn't take the vaccine when offered is stupid, and I don't want stupid people involved in taking care of me in life threatening situations. 

Now if it's worth creating a potential staffing crisis in the NHS in exchange for getting rid of it's 80000 most stupid front-line workers I'm not so sure on. And I do think that's what is going on here. They're dressing it up as being about transmission of COVID, but it's actually just NHS bosses taking the opportunity to purge the ranks. I totally agree with you guys there.

I'm just not yet convinced one way or another on if such a purge is a good or bad thing. Had we not done a Brexit and so were already facing a staffing crisis I think it'd be an easier question to answer.

As for the masks thing - your posts seem to go back and forth between telling me that masks will never catch on as a thing as it's utterly impossible given our culture, and then posting links about people saying there might be continued mask restrictions. The mask restrictions are popular because some people want them and that's why you're seeing these articles saying people support them, or that they'll keep them past end of January.

You know I agree with you on how pointless they are without social distancing, but you seem to be pushing this point that as a culture we're desperate to throw them in the bin, while posting loads of links saying the opposite. I know *you* are desperate to get rid of them but you're not indicative of the general populace. Which should be obvious to you given how traumatic you find them versus how easy to put up with most of us find them.

55 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think you are utterly confused about the realities we live in...

People will follow the government when instructed to do something for an emergency and won't when that stops.  We have seen exactly this...  Haven't we ?   very wore them when it became a recommendation - we call them the wets...

You are going all indy sage and either wanting / expecting masks forever...  Its not going to happen.

Then you can probably stop getting all wound up about these articles that say they're going to be here forever then, as there's absolutely no chance that'll happen?

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Those are from different dates.

The point remains the same tho. They said that France’s strategy would keep cases low and it didn’t.

I think it’s fair enough when Indy sage point to Japan, S Korea and NZ as good examples (this comes at a huge cost tho they don’t mention) but to hold France etc up as a country dealing with it way better then U.K. is ludicrous. 

Yup higher case numbers but lower deaths points to the general health of the population. Its a line the state hasn't crossed yet and would be unthinkable for many and yet still feels less authoritarian than lockdowns.

At the start of the pandemic though the French were complaining about limited tests and so were diverting tests to two priority areas, hospitals and people out and about in the community to stop the spread. They weren't testing deaths in nursing homes and at home. I'm not sure if this has changed.

Edited by lost

i reckon we're in the endgame now, where we'll only occasionally have some minor restrictionswe know we have to accept covid infections being out there but as long as theres not too many deaths we'll have to live with it.

i still haven't had covid some org recently predicted  that i'd have it by about now, but i reckon i should avoid it a while longer.

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

True normality at probably the right time. Obviously anything can happen between now and then but I'm glad to see a move in that direction 

Can't see us going backwards now. Interest rates on the government debt hit their highest level in 3 years on todays inflation numbers. As I mentioned at the weekend its likely that will be the next big thing and in two years time lockdowns will be like the Iraq war, everyone will claim to have been against them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

You see it now...  You don't have to wait two years 😛 Even Dean has a constant argument with himself before our eyes if he thinks they are a good thing or not  😛 

I don't think I've been opposed to any of the lockdowns. I've had mixed feelings on some other restrictions but broadly I think most of the lockdowns should have been sooner, harsher and in most cases longer.

I certainly don't buy the narrative that some of you lot are pushing that the lockdowns had no impact and were never necessary in the first place. I've sort of bit my tongue on that as I think that attitude is borderline certifiable, so outlandish that I don't even know how to start unpicking it. I've ignored it in the same way I've ignored posts about conspiracy theories around the vaccine - it's a position based so utterly beyond reason or logic that there's no point engaging with it.

But yeah, I go back and forth on what sort of restrictions are warranted based on what the figures are. I seem to be the only one left in thread doing that, the rest of you have got your Tory out and chased everyone else off, and seem to be of the opinion that it's no restrictions ever again under no circumstances. And while that's almost a sane position now, it's been that way here for the past six months. I guess you knew the pandemic would end eventually, so if you kept at it you'd be right eventually? 😄

This thread has basically become an echo chamber with me being the only broadly dissenting voice. Which, y'know, I don't mind, it's interesting to watch and see. But it does amuse me that sometimes I get told I'm not living in the real world or in my own echo chamber. I literally read and engage with this thread every day - you lot *are* my exposure to the lockdown hawks. 

Now maybe outside of this thread I do basically live in a bubble that's not reflective of the rest of the country. Perhaps. I know when I talk with friends about some of the stuff posted on here that's presented as "that's what everyone thinks" they find it hilarious that people are that out of touch. I'm intrigued if any of you actually read Christina Pagel's threads any more to see what the other "side" are saying or if you just post them here and call her an idiot or whatever. Maybe I'm in a bubble, maybe you're in a bubble, maybe we're both in bubbles and this is the only place they meet. 

All I'd say is that just because someone openly acknowledges they could be wrong, or even have been wrong, doesn't make them less likely to be right. 

• Upvote 6

I think the last few weeks have taught us that lockdowns did far less than people like to think they did.  Whether that’s because they can’t admit to themselves that they wasted 2 years of their life, or that they want to think they were part of something that saved lives and they did their bit who knows, but the most transmissible variant we’ve had yet is disappearing as fast as it arrived with very very limited restrictions. 

Edited by BobWillis2

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

I don't think I've been opposed to any of the lockdowns. I've had mixed feelings on some other restrictions but broadly I think most of the lockdowns should have been sooner, harsher and in most cases longer.

I certainly don't buy the narrative that some of you lot are pushing that the lockdowns had no impact and were never necessary in the first place. I've sort of bit my tongue on that as I think that attitude is borderline certifiable, so outlandish that I don't even know how to start unpicking it. I've ignored it in the same way I've ignored posts about conspiracy theories around the vaccine - it's a position based so utterly beyond reason or logic that there's no point engaging with it.

But yeah, I go back and forth on what sort of restrictions are warranted based on what the figures are. I seem to be the only one left in thread doing that, the rest of you have got your Tory out and chased everyone else off, and seem to be of the opinion that it's no restrictions ever again under no circumstances. And while that's almost a sane position now, it's been that way here for the past six months. I guess you knew the pandemic would end eventually, so if you kept at it you'd be right eventually? 😄

This thread has basically become an echo chamber with me being the only broadly dissenting voice. Which, y'know, I don't mind, it's interesting to watch and see. But it does amuse me that sometimes I get told I'm not living in the real world or in my own echo chamber. I literally read and engage with this thread every day - you lot *are* my exposure to the lockdown hawks. 

Now maybe outside of this thread I do basically live in a bubble that's not reflective of the rest of the country. Perhaps. I know when I talk with friends about some of the stuff posted on here that's presented as "that's what everyone thinks" they find it hilarious that people are that out of touch. I'm intrigued if any of you actually read Christina Pagel's threads any more to see what the other "side" are saying or if you just post them here and call her an idiot or whatever. Maybe I'm in a bubble, maybe you're in a bubble, maybe we're both in bubbles and this is the only place they meet. 

All I'd say is that just because someone openly acknowledges they could be wrong, or even have been wrong, doesn't make them less likely to be right. 

I'm not sure about harsh enough: you were fined for meeting people outside! 

I was broadly on the point of reluctantly agreeing with lockdowns/restrictions pre vaccine, and then for a time limited extension for such once the vaccine roll out happened. Post that, I'm certainly in the 'no restrictions again' camp, as mass death and destruction is unlikely in the UK now.

I dont mind other people posting on here but I guess some of the debate was... robust. 

Real world, depends on your friend group! Most people I know are doing the things they want. Some with masks, most without. More people talk about partygate recently!

Has pagel apologised for her many bad calls? I wouldn't mind Fake SAGE so much, but they are combination of both wrong and on their high horse all the time. Real SAGE got the models wrong, but whitty and Valence I respect loads. They are good communicators and generally put their lack of knowledge forward.

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Dude I've never mentioned Pagel but I'll chip in with a polite comment. Yesterday you called people who had been to medical school idiots, today people who think lockdowns are ineffective are certifiable. If you didn't approach the thread with a debating technique of just saying anyone who disagrees with me on anything is stupid you might get a bit less stick.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1