2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Genuine question... If Harry Styles is considered a future headliner then is Liam Gallagher too? He is unarguably one of the biggest acts in the country these days, has already headlined Reading and Latitude and seems to be playing bigger and bigger shows every year.

If Styles is headline material then surely Liam is too...

I feel like Liam was headline material the last time he played (and didn’t) and can’t really get bigger than he was in 2019.

I think it’s more likely he will continue doing surprise appearances or just sub again. Harry is only going to get bigger whereas I think this is as big as Liam is going to get (solo).

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Genuine question... If Harry Styles is considered a future headliner then is Liam Gallagher too? He is unarguably one of the biggest acts in the country these days, has already headlined Reading and Latitude and seems to be playing bigger and bigger shows every year.

Harry is popular against people other than ladrock Oasis fans though. Is Liam Gallagher getting a #1 single these days? Can't see it myself. Harry is a worldwide icon. If Liam was announced I'd probably half accept and be able to see it, but be very disappointed and assume they were really struggling.

“Noel, sorry Macca’s dropped out but we’ve got a replacement. You’re on before your brother”

• Upvote 1

The best part about headliners for me is the discourse before we know and just after we find out. I'm fully aware 90% of potential headliners won't be for me. I think most people on here are probably the same which is why this thread completely drops off every year once the announcements are made. The headliners create an undeniable buzz and excitement that I enjoy being part of, but after that I'm looking to see what else is on.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I feel like Liam was headline material the last time he played (and didn’t) and can’t really get bigger than he was in 2019.

He headlined Reading last year and has sold out two nights at Knebworth for this summer as well as a few stadium dates.

He's quite clearly bigger now than he was in 2019.

He headlined Reading last year and has sold out two nights at Knebworth for this summer as well as a few stadium dates.

He's quite clearly bigger now than he was in 2019.

Is this bubble of his going to burst though? It’s not like he’s going to release a smash album… I doubt his fans even really listen to his latest music.

Whereas for acts like Harry on the way up his new material will be a big part of his pull.

I hope I don’t get attacked for this, but it’s been a thought of mine for a while that quite a lot of people buy tickets for his shows in the hope he will bring Noel out on stage. That doesn’t quite work for Glastonbury. 

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, Riggins said:

Harry is popular against people other than ladrock Oasis fans though. Is Liam Gallagher getting a #1 single these days? Can't see it myself. Harry is a worldwide icon. If Liam was announced I'd probably half accept and be able to see it, but be very disappointed and assume they were really struggling.

I genuinely don't think anyone cares about #1 singles anymore. As I said below Liam has shifted a ridiculous number of tickets over the last year or two.

Are the same people arguing that Harry has moved past the "boy band" image really dismissing Liam due to being "lad rock"? That would feel like a double standard...

To be honest I'm not even arguing for Liam, just throwing out a name that's clearly big enough to do it but probably won't.

I genuinely don't think anyone cares about #1 singles anymore. As I said below Liam has shifted a ridiculous number of tickets over the last year or two.

Are the same people arguing that Harry has moved past the "boy band" image really dismissing Liam due to being "lad rock"? That would feel like a double standard...

To be honest I'm not even arguing for Liam, just throwing out a name that's clearly big enough to do it but probably won't.

Liam works for ticket selling festivals (as in ones that announce the lineup before tickets go on sale) but for Glastonbury it would be the exact same setlist as the last time he subbed. He would probably play one or two new songs of his max that no one wants to hear.

If Glastonbury was a festival that needed to use their headliners to sell tickets I could see it. 

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah maybe I have a bit of bias because I just tune him and that genre out. But at the same time, I think having #1 singles or such like does matter for more contemporary acts - unless you're one of The Beatles or have similar such legend status, which I don't feel Liam has (Oasis probably qualify as a whole). I.E - Wolf Alice to me are more than good enough, and have decent popularity to be in with a shout of being near the top, but I still don't feel like they've had their "future Glastonbury headliner" moment yet.

Edited by Riggins

Just now, Riggins said:

Yeah maybe I have a bit of bias because I just tune him and that genre out. But at the same time, I think having #1 singles or such like does matter for smaller acts - unless you're one of The Beatles or have similar such legend status, which I don't feel Liam has (Oasis probably qualify as a whole). I.E - Wolf Alice to me are more than good enough, and have decent popularity to be in with a shout of being near the top, but I still don't feel like they've had their "future Glastonbury headliner" moment yet.

I think I can confidently say Wolf Alice will never headline Glastonbury. This album is definitely their peak and their style of music is no longer the type that goes super commercial. We would have to have a huge indie revival for that to happen, and it’s likely that it would be a new band getting the headline gig rather than then. 

They will have a few big festival slots, subbing R&L and maybe an other stage headline at Glasto - but this is their peak I’m afraid. 

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think I can confidently say Wolf Alice will never headline Glastonbury. This album is definitely their peak and their style of music is no longer the type that goes super commercial. We would have to have a huge indie revival for that to happen, and it’s likely that it would be a new band getting the headline gig rather than then. 

They will have a few big festival slots, subbing R&L and maybe an other stage headline at Glasto - but this is their peak I’m afraid. 

I could neve rule them out completely because I think they're brilliant and will keep evolving, but I agree it's unlikely as they haven't had the mainstream crossover necessary to be considered. 

I think that's unfair to wolf Alice tbh, they're a great band and have a great live show. They'd be a great act for festivals to give big bookings to, because I think they'd smash it and convince people that they are worthy headliners. The festivals have a lot of power/influence that way and I wish they'd spend more time raising up a new generation of headline acts than leaning on classic bands/acts that don't need it/are going to retire soon

18 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

How can you possibly know that?

25 minutes ago, shivroy said:

I think that's unfair to wolf Alice tbh, they're a great band and have a great live show. They'd be a great act for festivals to give big bookings to, because I think they'd smash it and convince people that they are worthy headliners. The festivals have a lot of power/influence that way and I wish they'd spend more time raising up a new generation of headline acts than leaning on classic bands/acts that don't need it/are going to retire soon

What are Stormzy, Billie Eilish, Dua Lipa and Harry Styles if not a new generation of headliners?

I really thought Visions of a Life was it for them- then Blue Weekend came out. Impossible to tell whether it’s the last big album they do.

As for Harry/Liam: different metrics. I doubt Liam will have a hit solo single in the future, just as I doubt Harry will ever sell out Knebworth. But that isn’t saying ones big and the other isn’t. At the moment I’d say they’re both at weak headliner/mammoth sub level. IMO obviously.

1 minute ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

I really thought Visions of a Life was it for them- then Blue Weekend came out. Impossible to tell whether it’s the last big album they do.

As for Harry/Liam: different metrics. I doubt Liam will have a hit solo single in the future, just as I doubt Harry will ever sell out Knebworth. But that isn’t saying ones big and the other isn’t. At the moment I’d say they’re both at weak headliner/mammoth sub level. IMO obviously.

Harry will definitely tour stadiums on his next level imo, his tours are massive

This is where I find this endless speculating over festival acts like you're talking about footballers or FTSE100 stocks extremely tiresome: Wolf Alice are more than capable of having a smash album and festival campaign next time around, if they wanted to write a couple of big festival or radio bangers for their next record. They're well regarded, acclaimed, galvanizing a really good fanbase, have all sorts of media support.

Waving away young bands like this that are ultra creative, hungry, smart and have barely got going as "peaked" is just ridiculous, and so dismissive when we should be actively willing on acts like this to be potential top liners on the circuit.

Edited by jannybruck
  • Upvote 8

16 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Bit of an off-topic one, but Wolf Alice chat made me think of it... Any guesses for Thursday at William's Green?

I'm gonna say Glass Animals and Fontaines DC

I think they're both a bit big for it now. Glass Animals definitely are. 

Wet Leg nailed on imo 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

This is where I find this endless speculating over festival acts like you're talking about footballers or FTSE100 stocks extremely tiresome: Wolf Alice are more than capable of having a smash album and festival campaign next time around, if they wanted to write a couple of big festival or radio bangers for their next record. They're well regarded, acclaimed, galvanizing a really good fanbase, have all sorts of media support.

Waving away young bands like this that are ultra creative, hungry, smart and have barely got going as "peaked" is just ridiculous, and so dismissive when we should be actively willing on acts like this to be potential top liners on the circuit.

Completely agree