news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I’ve seen a few comments to that effect from people who are not necessarily fans of Starmer. Will it cut through? Maybe? The panel on the politics show on BBC after PMQs - apart from the sole Tory - were livid.

Who knows if it will, I’d say Johnson’s awful explanation will probably be what people are talking about. However people will potentially notice Starmer showing passion and fire which he hasn’t shown before so hopefully it will resonate slightly.

Also have a look at his body language when Johnson was giving his statement - leaning forward, note taking, watching Johnson to adapt his thoughts and comments to trap Johnson. This is why having a former DPP as LOP was a good idea and this is why his methods will pay dividends.

1 hour ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

And who paid for the chalet? Unless it’s a gift from his old mucker Jeffrey, I suspect we are paying for it on one level or another.

Well if that is the case, we have already paid for it....

57 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Assuming the plaintiff will accept an out of  court settlement 🤔 She may be wanting to make a huge statement on behalf of all women And I wouldn't try to dissuade her otherwise......

I would also applaud such a move, but I think it will get to the point where the offer is just too high to refuse, against a trial that could still go in Andrew's favour and leave her with nothing but huge legal bills.

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

Assuming the plaintiff will accept an out of  court settlement 🤔 She may be wanting to make a huge statement on behalf of all women And I wouldn't try to dissuade her otherwise......

She’s run out of hush money since Epstein and Maxwell are no longer funding her lifestyle. She’ll take the cash and won’t be heard from again.  Unless she spends it all

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

Not sure which is best for Starmer....let a gravely wounded Boris carry on until the next general election or ramp it up to the extent he's culled by his own party. A new Tory PM could be a much more serious electoral proposition 🤔

Boris appeals to the less informed people in the country. They like the bumbling idiot and that he’s not a normal boring politician. 

Whose the next idiot in waiting?

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

She’s run out of hush money since Epstein and Maxwell are no longer funding her lifestyle. She’ll take the cash and won’t be heard from again.  Unless she spends it all

Apparently she has plenty of money but wants her day in court with someone! 

Apart from Sunak was anyone else notable for their absence at PMQs today ? distracted by the Aerial man who said he liked Boris ... surely thats some kind of distancing effort from him .... 

Sunak not the Aerial man 

Edited by crazyfool1

11 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I thought the Tories would want to be a bit more calculated and wait until the report and even then until after the public enquiry into COVID but events are moving too quickly now I feel.  I think they need to force him to resign or die by association.  

The danger of a Starmer government is getting more real by the second if the Tories don't act soon 😄 

If he resigns I would expect a long good bye...  😛 

Too much heat. The Torys already defended Cummings, they don't want to humiliate themselves with the work event rubbish 

Just now, steviewevie said:

Boris is obviously a muthufucking twat...but if he goes then we'd likely get a more right wing PM that is less inclined to spend big on health/social care and net zero. What it would mean in the next election...who knows?

it means we dont have Boris and some people have some kind of weird like for the bumbling bafoon ... wont be the same  for someone like Gove .... Sunak might have a little support still ... but a crashing economy isnt going to help his case ... 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

it means we dont have Boris and some people have some kind of weird like for the bumbling bafoon ... wont be the same  for someone like Gove .... Sunak might have a little support still ... but a crashing economy isnt going to help his case ... 

yeah...true....that is why they elected him leader...and maybe why many are still reluctant to call for him to quit...

We need to get rid of Johnson soon so that the honeymoon period for his predecessor is over by the next election as generally a new PM gets a boost in the polls for a period of time after they take office. You look at the people being lined up, they should be found out as PM in time as well which means Labour need as much time as possible to work on the successor before the next election.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Is the economy going to crash though ?  The UK is apparently out performing the rest of Europe. 

The main pressure on the economy seems to be rising living costs mainly from the energy crisis and they can easily fix that by dropping the green levies for a while.

Inflation and increased interest rates are a problem but if they fix the energy crisis this some what fixes the inflation crisis.

So its actually something that can be easily managed.  Rishi will be our next PM and will thump Starmer into the middle of next week. 

Brexit ? covid ? couple of things that wont help .... and I think you might have been misled on the out performing Europe thing ? ... I saw some other figures that suggested different ... someone help me here ? 

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

We need to get rid of Johnson soon so that the honeymoon period for his predecessor is over by the next election as generally a new PM gets a boost in the polls for a period of time after they take office. You look at the people being lined up, they should be found out as PM in time as well which means Labour need as much time as possible to work on the successor before the next election.

Maybe that is in the minds of these tories too...wait till the right time then boot him out. But at same time Sunak could be damaged goods if cost of living problems from April onwards are as bad as some predict...and Truss' chances probably depends on that whole stupid brexit Northern Ireland thing. There are others though...Gove, Raab, Hunt, even Rees fucking Mogg...can you imagine?!...at one time Patel was the darling of the right but she has been a shit home sec so has probably blown it.

Just now, steviewevie said:

Maybe that is in the minds of these tories too...wait till the right time then boot him out. But at same time Sunak could be damaged goods if cost of living problems from April onwards are as bad as some predict...and Truss' chances probably depends on that whole stupid brexit Northern Ireland thing. There are others though...Gove, Raab, Hunt, even Rees fucking Mogg...can you imagine?!...at one time Patel was the darling of the right but she has been a shit home sec so has probably blown it.

Yeah it could be that some Tories are thinking about waiting or that reason but they have to weigh up the damage Johnson is doing to the Party currently and if it's got too much that a new leader is the only option. None of them will think about what's right for the country as they are Tories.

If they leave it too long the problem for them might be irreversible before the next election.