2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

21 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Have you found anything in her bins?

A print out of the email exchanges between GFL and Prince’s team in 2015. Prince said he would play if Glastonbury let him perform on top of the Tor.

Edited by Matt42

Aren't we usually more sure about headliners by this point? Felt like we were quite certain about Stormzy/KIllers/Cure and Kendrick/Macca/Taylor  by now in previous years. Unless we really should have faith in Kendrick and Macca returning, and all this theorising is for nothing.

What if Kendrick drops out and is replaced by Ye?

4 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Aren't we usually more sure about headliners by this point? Felt like we were quite certain about Stormzy/KIllers/Cure and Kendrick/Macca/Taylor  by now in previous years. Unless we really should have faith in Kendrick and Macca returning, and all this theorising is for nothing.

We found out about The Killers later in January or maybe early Feb, after having zero idea and many expecting Lady Gaga.

Ye won’t headline. Way too much of a loose cannon. They won’t run the risk of Marilyn Manson walking onstage at the biggest televised festival event of the summer.

Edited by dentalplan

3 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I don't think we were sure on The Killers until much later on. Other than the Adele sunset slot nonsense, I think we were pretty sure early on for 2016, 2017 and 2020 but I think it's pretty standard for at least one headliner slot to still be unclear at this point.

6 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I think Radiohead were quite a shock before the week or two before they were announced as well? 

As for Kendrick, the issue is that he's not been placed in any other festival and he's just turned down Coachella (if rumours are correct) If thats so, Kendricks only festival will be Glastonbury, Billie will be a Europe (I beleive) festival exclusive and I doubt Macca will be at any other festival either. It'll be a crazy top 3. 

Just now, Matt42 said:

I run and hide from the meta/twitter comments. Or I get some popcorn and enjoy them.

It would be absolute carnage if they booked Kanye again.

In all honesty, twitter was a mess of 'who?' when Kendrick was announced originally from what I remember. Not sure whats better.

I'd imagine Madonna would be for 2023 tbh, given that Emily made it sound like things were all booked for 2022 in her last post? So unless something changed??

Also foals don't seem big enough to me to headline Glastonbury? Like solid sub or other headliner but not pyramid headliner level

11 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I don't think we were sure on The Killers until much later on. Other than the Adele sunset slot nonsense, I think we were pretty sure early on for 2016, 2017 and 2020 but I think it's pretty standard for at least one headliner slot to still be unclear at this point.

2014 was pretty in the dark. However we at least had some names and ideas. I can’t remember where we got the tip off Metallica were playing but we originally thought other stage. I believe as well the Festival was trying for Fleetwood Mac and gave Arcade Fire the call when that fell through.

We’ve been way more in the dark before though. In 2015 we didn’t have a bloody scooby other than the Foo Fighters.

Kanye didn’t really leak, people theorised it and a BBC journalist said they heard he was playing… but it was quite a similar situation where he had no dates anywhere and it was more of a “it would be great if glasto got him” chat.

But 2015 was the year they really really tried to get Prince. It was pretty much expected that they weren’t going to bag him so we knew a substitute third act was going to be in the mix. At first we thought this was Florence but she turned out to be subbing the Foos. We didn’t have a clue.

Neil heard it was the Who and we all dismissed it because they had a date in Paris at the time. Then the Sun leaked it and we went from there.

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

But 2015 was the year they really really tried to get Prince. It was pretty much expected that they weren’t going to bag him so we knew a substitute third act was going to be in the mix. At first we thought this was Florence but she turned out to be subbing the Foos. We didn’t have a clue.

Neil heard it was the Who and we all dismissed it because they had a date in Paris at the time. Then the Sun leaked it and we went from there.

I had watched/lurked the forum without an account in the lead up to 2014(first year) 2015 was the first time I actually kept an eye on it and the ridiculous couple of weeks from Prince > no Prince > Florence > no > ??? > The Who cancelling a pre booked date was a mess of a time. 

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

I had watched/lurked the forum without an account in the lead up to 2014(first year) 2015 was the first time I actually kept an eye on it and the ridiculous couple of weeks from Prince > no Prince > Florence > no > ??? > The Who cancelling a pre booked date was a mess of a time. 

Very little leaked for 2015. I remember Neil saying this was deliberate as Prince was very sensitive to any media coverage that he was in the running.

In the Coachella documentary it sounds like Paul T went through a similar thing but Prince ended up actually playing. Like Prince will only agree to play if it’s totally a surprise.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Very little leaked for 2015. I remember Neil saying this was deliberate as Prince was very sensitive to any media coverage that he was in the running.

In the Coachella documentary it sounds like Paul T went through a similar thing but Prince ended up actually playing. Like Prince will only agree to play if it’s totally a surprise.

Yup, from what I remember he didn't like the idea of his name being used by a promoter to sell tickets? Despite the festival already being sold out. 

Just now, chazwwe said:

Yup, from what I remember he didn't like the idea of his name being used by a promoter to sell tickets? Despite the festival already being sold out. 

And the fact that it was the press reporting on rumours and not the festival itself? 

Props to Glastonbury for trying to secure both Kanye and Prince in the same year. That must have been a total brain melting experience.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

2014 was pretty in the dark. However we at least had some names and ideas. I can’t remember where we got the tip off Metallica were playing but we originally thought other stage. I believe as well the Festival was trying for Fleetwood Mac and gave Arcade Fire the call when that fell through.

We’ve been way more in the dark before though. In 2015 we didn’t have a bloody scooby other than the Foo Fighters.

Kanye didn’t really leak, people theorised it and a BBC journalist said they heard he was playing… but it was quite a similar situation where he had no dates anywhere and it was more of a “it would be great if glasto got him” chat.

Yeah 2014 was a weird year for headliners. Kasabian, the one we seemed set on fairly early on, weren't announced until the poster and I'm sure Neil had info at one point which was something like them agreeing to be a backup while they tried for Prince. I think someone had heard a rumour of Metallica playing but as you say, we originally thought Other stage. Arcade Fire were the first ones announced and I think we were pretty confident it was them based on some info and hints from the band but even they just announced themselves. If only you had a YouTube channel for 2014 and 2015!

Just now, kingcrawler said:

Yeah 2014 was a weird year for headliners. Kasabian, the one we seemed set on fairly early on, weren't announced until the poster and I'm sure Neil had info at one point which was something like them agreeing to be a backup while they tried for Prince. I think someone had heard a rumour of Metallica playing but as you say, we originally thought Other stage. Arcade Fire were the first ones announced and I think we were pretty confident it was them based on some info and hints from the band but even they just announced themselves. If only you had a YouTube channel for 2014 and 2015!

If rumours are true Kasabian we’re the last headliner booked.

I believe they had Fleetwood Mac, Depeche Mode, and Prince as their dream trio. FM didn’t work so they called Arcade Fire. Depeche Mode and Prince both didn’t work and they had been approached by Metallica for a non headline slot or something? And they ended up calling Kasabian who were begging to do it?

So what do we actually know

Headers - Billie for certain and then only Neil’s info for Macca and Kendrick (literally nothing else linking them to it)

Subs - well we didn’t know all 3 last time and with Lana looking unlikely it seems that only Noel is fairly certain

Special Guests/Legend - Aerosmith and Di Ro seem certain

Other - QOTSA (Neil’s info alongside hearing about Billie) and PSB certainly seem like 2 of them.  3rd could be Dua still or maybe Fatboy has moved to Saturday and opposite Macca?

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If rumours are true Kasabian we’re the last headliner booked.

I believe they had Fleetwood Mac, Depeche Mode, and Prince as their dream trio. FM didn’t work so they called Arcade Fire. Depeche Mode and Prince both didn’t work and they had been approached by Metallica for a non headline slot or something? And they ended up calling Kasabian who were begging to do it?

That trio probably would of never been topped in all honesty. At least for star power genre defining music and world wide acclaim 

• Upvote 1