Glastonbury in the metaverse?

dentalplan

Stuartbert's thread about his Oculus Quest earlier got me thinking about this all day, and I think it actually is important and requires its own thread. It will probably become increasingly important in coming years.

There's obviously been a huge move towards digital art, digital currency, digital experiences in the last couple of years, and by big companies who see this as the future (as you will know, Facebook pretty much just went all-in on it). Web 3.0 as they say.

There have been virtual reality music festivals already with tens of thousands of people attending from across the world. Roblox - essentially the metaverse testing ground for the next generation - has had some pretty big artists from Royal Blood to Lil Nas X play shows there and get paid big bucks to do so. Then in the real world we actually had a virtual Glastonbury, albeit just a live stream we shared communally without any goggles.

Do we see there being a virtual Glastonbury before too long? Like, it's feasible that there could be an entirely virtual Glastonbury - where you can walk the site, see your friends, watch acts actually performing, go to smaller bars, maybe even sit by the fooking tent with a tinny - all without leaving the house. Given how Roblox has taken the world by storm for kids and NFT's have taken the world by storm for wealthy nerds, it's conceivable that there is a huge potential for renowned festivals to branch out into the digital world (I think EDC already are doing), and a risk for those who don't. Also it saves on renting the land for parking.

Would you be open to it? What do you think? Curious? Optimistic? Completely the wrong crowd? This isn't for a university dissertation.

6 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Stuartbert's thread about his Oculus Quest earlier got me thinking about this all day, and I think it actually is important and requires its own thread. It will probably become increasingly important in coming years.

There's obviously been a huge move towards digital art, digital currency, digital experiences in the last couple of years, and by big companies who see this as the future (as you will know, Facebook pretty much just went all-in on it). Web 3.0 as they say.

There have been virtual reality music festivals already with tens of thousands of people attending from across the world. Roblox - essentially the metaverse testing ground for the next generation - has had some pretty big artists from Royal Blood to Lil Nas X play shows there and get paid big bucks to do so. Then in the real world we actually had a virtual Glastonbury, albeit just a live stream we shared communally without any goggles.

Do we see there being a virtual Glastonbury before too long? Like, it's feasible that there could be an entirely virtual Glastonbury - where you can walk the site, see your friends, watch acts actually performing, go to smaller bars, maybe even sit by the fooking tent with a tinny - all without leaving the house. Given how Roblox has taken the world by storm for kids and NFT's have taken the world by storm for wealthy nerds, it's conceivable that there is a huge potential for renowned festivals to branch out into the digital world (I think EDC already are doing), and a risk for those who don't. Also it saves on renting the land for parking.

Would you be open to it? What do you think? Curious? Optimistic? Completely the wrong crowd? This isn't for a university dissertation.

Shangri-la set up a VR festival during lockdown including a digital replica of the Gas Tower. They've now set up their bar in Bristol with the aim of live-casting to VR, so there is definitely interest in this direction. I can't say it particularly excites me but it does seem to be the way things are headed.

https://www.losthorizonlive.com/lh-vr

Will they be virtually showing the football? 

• Upvote 3

I'm not au fait with the technology or logistics required in mapping out the whole site but it is an interesting prospect with huge potential. As the technology develops, I guess the only limitations with things like this are our minds. Of course, nothing will replace the feeling of physically experiencing it...until they're able to replicate that somehow. It's coming, maybe not in my lifetime but it definitely feels like we are headed in a very Matrix-like direction.

And of course, once the site is virtually constructed, other events could be possible. Fortnite: Worthy Farm edition anyone? 

Yes will happen some point when the technology has found it’s way into peoples homes. Not until some kind of meta technology is easily available to the average joe.

It’s deffo the future of everything but we are in a stage right now where it all seems like a gimmick… but it won’t for long!

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

Shangri-la set up a VR festival during lockdown including a digital replica of the Gas Tower. They've now set up their bar in Bristol with the aim of live-casting to VR, so there is definitely interest in this direction. I can't say it particularly excites me but it does seem to be the way things are headed.

This is what I was going to say. 
I joined the Lost Horizon Vr experience, albeit just through my phone and a cardboard viewer. It was interesting, but not even 1% of a real life experience. For me live music needs to be in the room, or it’s not live. When you’re at an event you get a feel for the atmosphere. It’s something intangible that I can’t see being replicated through VR. 

Edited by blutarsky

2 hours ago, mcshed said:

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

This is what I was going to say. 
I joined the Lost Horizon Vr experience, albeit just through my phone and a cardboard viewer. It was interesting, but not even 1% of a real life experience. For me live music needs to be in the room, or it’s not live. When you’re at an event you get a feel for the atmosphere. It’s something intangible that I can’t see being replicated through VR. 

Hadn’t realised about the forays into this already from the different teams. That groundwork does seem promising with how it could fit into the grander scale festival.

I guess the way it would slide from being a novelty not as good as the real thing to the main event is the biting point where Generation Alpha only knows ‘live’ music as virtual, and travelling to a farm in Somerset to experience it physically seems mad. It’s just the point at which that would come.

1 minute ago, henry bear said:

There could be virtual fans talking shite about it on a digital forum. 

Tbf we all have virtual personas on here, in a sense. And some here have spoken to each other virtually from their own homes. Only thing missing is the tech.

Then, of course, speculating about who would be the secret set on AR-cadia is natural progression.

Doesn't appeal to me to be honest. Anything at home has the magic broken by the dogs barking to go out because they heard a leaf drop at regular intervals. That being said maybe if it had been up and running and already working well during the last few years we probably all would have gotten on board with it. 

44 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

It'll probably be like 3d cinema. A fad for the next 3-5 years but unlikely to take off long term partly because people don't want to put stuff on their face when enjoying entertainment. 

Also it makes people want to throw up which is a major barrier to widespread VR. 

On a similar but slightly different note. Looking forward to being steadily amused by thousands of people seeing their crypto/NFT fortunes vanish/get hacked in years to come.

Saw some dude have his monkeys swapped for jpegs the other day on twitter. Oh, how I laughed. 1.6 million down the shitter. Thread now shut down to maintain confidence in the market apparently. Lols. 

Oh yeah, the metaverse and virtual Glasto is something I won't give a single fuck about. Would be like one of those families that manage to avoid having a telly and are better off for it... It would be shite.

Edited by Superscally

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

On a similar but slightly different note. Looking forward to being steadily amused by thousands of people seeing their crypto/NFT fortunes vanish/get hacked in years to come.

Saw some dude have his monkeys swapped for jpegs the other day on twitter. Oh, how I laughed. 1.6 million down the shitter. Thread now shut down to maintain confidence in the market apparently. Lols. Might sell some NFTs for shits and gigs myself, never buying the buggers.

Oh yeah, the metaverse and virtual Glasto is something I won't give a single fuck about. Would be like one of those families that manage to avoid having a telly and are better off for it... It would be shite.

What a bizarre attitude to have towards other people.

20 hours ago, SighMo said:

Will I get away with trainers?

I think you will need some of these.

Cybershoes Gaming Station (use with Windows 10 and STEAM VR) Including Cyberchair and Cybercarpet - Virtual Reality Shoes for Active Gaming at your Home https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0816Y6YG6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CHVSCENF5SGKGFEMJ1FK

2 hours ago, Superscally said:

Nah man. Crypto is an evil, selfish enterprise that is fucking the planet sideways. No sympathy.

Nice work deleting the “Might sell some NFT’s for shits and gigs” sentence from your initial post, before pretending your opposition is about ethics and not about being petty and dismissive. It’s still in the quote in my post though. I genuinely would not have made the connection if you didn’t try cover that up. 😆

Anyway, yeah, certain major coins have been bad for the environment - I can’t argue against that - but there have been huge strides towards correcting that, and the market will move to the currencies which do.

And, as those aim to serve as the economy of a decentralised internet, there’s some more positive impact to come. Which is why I see it being on-brand for Glastonbury in some shape or form.

Additionally, I could definitely see Glastonbury NFT’s coming along soon enough.

37 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Nice work deleting the “Might sell some NFT’s for shits and gigs” sentence from your initial post, before pretending your opposition is about ethics and not about being petty and dismissive. It’s still in the quote in my post though. I genuinely would not have made the connection if you didn’t try cover that up. 😆

Anyway, yeah, certain major coins have been bad for the environment - I can’t argue against that - but there have been huge strides towards correcting that, and the market will move to the currencies which do.

And, as those aim to serve as the economy of a decentralised internet, there’s some more positive impact to come. Which is why I see it being on-brand for Glastonbury in some shape or form.

Additionally, I could definitely see Glastonbury NFT’s coming along soon enough.

I only deleted that to avoid that sort of beef. I've got sod all I could make NFTs of, and no knowledge or desire to make them. I just knew that would get thrown back at me as some people here have no ability to read nuance. You're just too smart, you little tinker.

It wasn't the point I was trying to make either. Even if there is a move away from the destructive qualities of it, it's capitalism at its worst, not best. It's just the equivalent of a suitcase of money being thrown onto a motorway for people to scramble over. I think it's a bad buzz for Glasto to get involved, it's anti-Glasto.

Don't like. It also amuses me when someone has spent 1.6m on a picture of a monkey when that's all it is. A picture of a monkey. Who's the monkey now? 

However, if proven not to be the case, and it was a force for good, I'd be happy to review that opinion. Might even sell some NFT's for shits and gigs.

Edited by Superscally

The whole metaverse/crypto/web3 discourse has been so totally polluted by crooks, hype merchants and con artists that I can’t take it seriously right now. 

There is the potential for something truly transformational in amongst the bullshit… but I can’t imagine what that looks like, or what it means for something like Glastonbury. If I was in my 20s now I’d probably be all over it, but frankly I don’t have the time or energy to dive into it all! 🙃

IMO, to build a true shared virtual world then some profoundly difficult challenges with interface technology need to be solved. Oculus & all that are amazing, but it’s still a long long way from where it needs to be.

On a more philosophical note I’m really uncomfortable with the idea of humans retreating into some utopian virtual playground. It’s bad enough with todays social media - how much worse if people could genuinely immerse themselves in another reality?

So yeah… I’m sceptical. 

• Upvote 1