No indoor stages?

Matt42

Short of an instant test, It’s all or nothing for me, there’s no practical steps you can take for 150k drunk/ wasted people mingling for 5 days, if one person got on site with it, literally everyone would get it. 

Fewer stages means the same crowd density, indoors or outdoors is irrelevant if your spending a 90 minute set shoulder to shoulder with strangers. 

21 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Short of an instant test, It’s all or nothing for me, there’s no practical steps you can take for 150k drunk/ wasted people mingling for 5 days, if one person got on site with it, literally everyone would get it. 

They wouldn't though would they?

I get that the R would be a lot higher in a densely populated area with probably lower hand washing hygiene, but you only become contagious between 48 to 72 hours from catching it. So there could only be a couple of 'generations' of passing on the virus in the time that the site is open to the public. 

I do agree that it would be problematic, and glory days for the same old paper that like to piss on our cornflakes, but I'm sure there will be indoor gigs/conventions/workplaces that will be worse for the nations healthcare.

3 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Honestly people are so devious I'd have never thought of that.

Doesn't even need to be a devious thing.

It's entirely likely that people have multiple registrations out of "what if it doesn't work" paranoia, or because they couldn't remember details, or some other legitimate reason.

Just now, incident said:

because they couldn't remember details, or some other legitimate reason.

I think I’ve got another registration from about 10 years ago. No idea what email address or even house address I used for it. I know I’ve been using the same one for the last few years. Reminds me that I do need to change my home address on my current registration. 

9 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

Yes them. Not worker tickets, pretty fucking obviously 

Thing is, those 'freeloader' tickets are almost always paid for, and at twice the normal public rate. And then often some overpriced accommodation is purchased on top of that.

There's a strong argument to be made that for all the disdain directed at those people, they' actually are subsidising the general public tickets to a degree. Granted, usually the cost isn't paid by the person using the ticket of course, but by a record company, broadcaster, PR agency, whoever, but it is still important income to the festival.

5 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

Yes them. Not worker tickets, pretty fucking obviously 

Sorry, it wasn’t pretty obvious to me. That’s why I asked. 

In terms of what you are talking about, huge swathes of the lower line up don’t get a payment for their performances aside from the tickets for them and their mates to enjoy the festival. 

12 minutes ago, stuie said:

Sorry, it wasn’t pretty obvious to me. That’s why I asked. 

In terms of what you are talking about, huge swathes of the lower line up don’t get a payment for their performances aside from the tickets for them and their mates to enjoy the festival. 

What I was suggesting is if G have to reduce - or *be seen* to be reducing - numbers then obviously it’s much easier to trim numbers from people who aren’t paying. I don’t think we know the precise number of hospitality and artist guest list numbers, but one would have to imagine it’s many thousands. And if there needs to be a small cull this seems an obvious place to start. To me, anyway.

All measures that G introduce will impact some people. If that means the gang of mates of a folk duo playing a couple of sets in green fields can’t come in, then sorry... As an example, a mate of mine did a low key 40 min talk in green fields last year to about 30 in the audience. He got 4 guest tickets for that. 

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

This would go down like a bag of cold sick but one way to reduce numbers would be to ban children for a year.

Now obviously kids aren’t counted in the official attendance as they don’t need tickets, but you’d probably end up with a fair few parents either unable or unwilling to come without the kids.

And I was told a while ago that removing children would be laughable as it wouldnt make a difference in density, oh how times have changed. But then are you going to discuss removing the Kidzfield and the family camping areas along with it? that creates some room in a few spots.

24 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

And I was told a while ago that removing children would be laughable as it wouldnt make a difference in density, oh how times have changed. But then are you going to discuss removing the Kidzfield and the family camping areas along with it? that creates some room in a few spots.

It’s not so much removing the children that’s the issue, as I said they don’t need a ticket so aren’t counted in the 135k.

It would be cutting the number of parents.

26 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

govt starting to talk about weekly testing of the whole population.

All they need to do now is scale up testing by 50 and it's sorted. :blink: 

For anyone curious:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/02/mass-weekly-covid-19-testing-of-population-to-be-trialled-in-england?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

That would be a huge step forwards and genuinely is the happiest I've been to read something in a while. 

Granted, we're a way off the capacity. But that's put a smile on my face. 

58 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

govt starting to talk about weekly testing of the whole population.

All they need to do now is scale up testing by 50 and it's sorted. :blink: 

Isn’t the next target 500,000 daily by october ? Or have they set this new target so we forget about that one ? And go wow aren’t they good ?  :)