No indoor stages?

Matt42

20 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

I tend to think if it’s to run they will:

- implement some physical changes to appease public health folk. Removing most risky venues for example and replacing with similar capacity outdoor venues.

- big public hygiene push, like we saw with re usable plastic in 2019. Hand wash EVERYWHERE 

- Not resell any returned tickets and reduce the freeloader tickets.

- Go big on encouraging people to stay in bubbles. 

- Get people to present a negative test at the gate.

A combo of that kind of stuff and it will be a goer I reckon. After this winter of discontent that’s coming I think we’ll all need Glastonbury and their ilk...

As someone who is going solo, the thought of encouraging "bubbles" would be truly horrendous. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

could you do indoor spaces like tents in one ? and not outdoors ? I think thats workable for me ? I know im pretty used  to wearing mine now though 

I don't think I'd want to go in them at all. To be clear, I'll do my duty to keep this virus down, but for fuck's sake, I don't want to be doing this crap next June in my happy place. Fuck, fuck, fuck that.

39 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

- implement some physical changes to appease public health folk. Removing most risky venues for example and replacing with similar capacity outdoor venues.

- big public hygiene push, like we saw with re usable plastic in 2019. Hand wash EVERYWHERE 

A combo of that kind of stuff and it will be a goer I reckon. After this winter of discontent that’s coming I think we’ll all need Glastonbury and their ilk...

Surely that is much easier said than done? I have to have tests weekly at work, which is done through a private company, so I'd personally have no issues, but to make the tests valid, they'd have to be taken on the Monday before the Festival, to receive results on Tuesday, presented at the gate on Wednesday.

7 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Ask anyone who was in the JP for Gerry Cinnamon if there was a free movement of air :lol:

I'm still convinced it was hotter / more humid than the surface of the sun in there that day!

I was there, I was putting ice cubes under my cap and down my back. Some guy with a flare right behind me made it even worse. Think I nearly melted

6 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Surely that is much easier said than done? I have to have tests weekly at work, which is done through a private company, so I'd personally have no issues, but to make the tests valid, they'd have to be taken on the Monday before the Festival, to receive results on Tuesday, presented at the gate on Wednesday.

I am nearly entirely ignorant of testing procedures, but I figure by then we’ll have a pretty smooth rapid testing regime in operation. Maybe combined with temperature tests at the gates? 

58 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

Noooooooo! 😭

4 hours ago, parsonjack said:

I still think a shorter 3-day festival could be an option, with parking from Thursday evening 

This would be fine if they take 2/5 of the price off the ticket. People pay for the experience on the Wednesday and Thursday. Those are the days you get to see the healing fields and circus tents.

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

FWIW if I was offered a choice between a reduced version of Glastonbury in 21 or rolling over to the full version in 22 I would choose to defer.

I think I'm the same. But I'd still try for 2021 through resale/volunteering routes but would save the "full ticket" for 2022.

Feel like I'd have more chance of a resale/volunteering route in 21 then 22. But that's just gut.

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

True, they are now severely limited by what they can and can’t do. Which is why I think it’s all or nothing now.

FWIW if I was offered a choice between a reduced version of Glastonbury in 21 or rolling over to the full version in 22 I would choose to defer.

It would be a great choice to have as I'd certainly defer if it could roll over. As an international visitor likely only going to one Glasto in my life if they announced it's reduced version it'll be a tough choice for my group between throwing our tickets back and hoping we luck out again in 2022 vs attending a reduced festival of some nature. 

7 hours ago, parsonjack said:

I still think a shorter 3-day festival could be an option, with parking from Thursday evening rather than Tuesday.  *If* you could ensure that everyone that turned up at the gates on Friday morning had had a negative CV in the past 48 hours then due to the small 3-5 day window between exposure and becoming infectious to others you could almost be certain of very few people being infectious before Monday morning.

How you sort the testing is the logistical conundrum but linking your registration number to a testing database and only letting you in if it shows you've had a negative test would surely be possible.  GF would advise not to travel until you've had a result SMS'd to you to cut down the risk in the queue, and they could advise distancing and mask wearing outside the fence to mitigate risk further in case of the chancers.

It wouldn't be perfect or closed to abuse but it could mitigate the risk sufficiently to allow a 'normal' but slightly shorter festival.

ive mentioned having testing done like that as a way to ensure there is no funny business conducted on people who want to find a loophole on getting in without getting a test.

4 hours ago, K2SO said:

They have to be anticipating theyll have access to a reliable rapid test by june, which surely is likely. If Reading is already looking into it then Glasto is too. EDC in Las Vegas tipped their hand on attempting to put a testing plan into place for their event that was rescheduled for October but had to move to May of next year because of logistics and ya know, the u.s being so bad with covid. So if Live Nation is already investing like that, more will follow.

8 hours ago, whitehorses said:

I am nearly entirely ignorant of testing procedures, but I figure by then we’ll have a pretty smooth rapid testing regime in operation. Maybe combined with temperature tests at the gates? 

It’s been discussed many times already in other threads but testing on the gate is going to cause more problems than it will solve. 

Other than the additional time it will take to get everyone in, the massive extra expense of having testing gear on every gate. You’ve also got to consider how you’re going to deal with the people you turn away. 

If one person in a group tests positive. Do they have to turn that one person away or the whole group? 

If 1 person who has travelled down by coach tests positive, does this mean that they have to turn away the whole coach load of people who have been breathing the same air for multiple hours?

If they just decide to deny entry to that one person, how will that person get back home? It’s not like having a temperature test at your local docs or hair salon, many people travel 100s or even 1000s of miles to get to Glasto  

Temperature tests are also flawed too. If the weather has been like it has on recent years, what kind of temperature readings are you going to get off groups of people who having been moving lots of heavy gear in 30 degree plus heat after spending many hours in a hot steel and glass box.

Never going to happen.  

39 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s been discussed many times already in other threads but testing on the gate is going to cause more problems than it will solve. 

Other than the additional time it will take to get everyone in, the massive extra expense of having testing gear on every gate. You’ve also got to consider how you’re going to deal with the people you turn away. 

If one person in a group tests positive. Do they have to turn that one person away or the whole group? 

If 1 person who has travelled down by coach tests positive, does this mean that they have to turn away the whole coach load of people who have been breathing the same air for multiple hours?

If they just decide to deny entry to that one person, how will that person get back home? It’s not like having a temperature test at your local docs or hair salon, many people travel 100s or even 1000s of miles to get to Glasto  

Temperature tests are also flawed too. If the weather has been like it has on recent years, what kind of temperature readings are you going to get off groups of people who having been moving lots of heavy gear in 30 degree plus heat after spending many hours in a hot steel and glass box.

Never going to happen.  

I think all your questions would/could be answerable IF it were a deal breaker in allowing the festival to happen. That doesn’t mean we would like those answers or think they’re rational. 

Frankly it has to be same old Glasto or no Glasto. 

- Reducing capacity/ length of festival is an absolute no go. Like i cannot stress enough how unrealistic that idea is. It is completely ignoring all logic in a hope that it goes ahead. How do you choose who can and cannot go from the current ticket holders? How do you justify the price of your ticket if you are getting a much lesser experience? How do you turn a profit? Its not like costs decrease at the same rate as revenue. Glastonbury and festivals in generally have a significant amount of fixed costs and with added Health and safety proposals its going to be more costly. 

I don't think on the gate testing is viable as people have mentioned above - logistically difficult and costly. Could you imagine you travelled all that way to be turned at the gate? 

8 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I think I'm the same. But I'd still try for 2021 through resale/volunteering routes but would save the "full ticket" for 2022.

Feel like I'd have more chance of a resale/volunteering route in 21 then 22. But that's just gut.

Interesting point - in this scenario if you chose to defer to 2022, would you still be able to try the resale for 21 (If they had one)? I don't see how really. You've made your choice and your reg number has been used. Volunteering, yes, though.

I definitely think they would need to reduce the price to make me think it was worthwhile if they were reducing the days or experience on offer. I'd bloody love to get a ticket (slim as that chance may be now) but if it's going to be just three days with less areas etc I'd probably just go to another festival instead and save Glasto for 22 personally speaking.

On the testing at the gate thing, there are ways around some of the issues (testing at locations a designated distance from the site, testing before boarding the coach etc), but it does throw up a whole load of problems. For example, I don't drive so if I wanted a Covid test now the ethical thing would be for me to get one sent to my home, not get public transport to a testing site. How do I get to a testing site before getting the coach? All the coach departure points are over an hour from me, so if I tested positive I'd then have to get public transport home still. I suppose I would try to mitigate this by isolating two weeks prior, but it puts anyone travelling by public transport in a bit of an odd position.

Testing wise,  I think they would need to do two rounds of testing. One in the two weeks to the festival and one the day before the festival. Rapid testing should be available by then. I saw that they are trailing tests that detect it in 90 minutes. You will need to book these onto a system and the various security checks confirm that they are legitimate. 

They also need to have a system where if people believe they have the virus during the festival they need incentive to just leave. Dont know what that would be but i fear that some people will just accepted it and continue to enjoy the festival if they had it. All in all this is going to be hugely expensive and i think they would need to raise the ticket price. Personally i would be happy to pay an additional £50-£100 but i know not everyone can do that and thats not fair on them.

Personally i dont see the festival going ahead. Like i said above, it needs to be quintessential Glastonbury otherwise it will always be a tainted year and leave a bitter taste. No social distancing (its impossible), no masks,  indoor arenas, 5 days, same capacity. 

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Interesting point - in this scenario if you chose to defer to 2022, would you still be able to try the resale for 21 (If they had one)? I don't see how really. You've made your choice and your reg number has been used. Volunteering, yes, though.

I definitely think they would need to reduce the price to make me think it was worthwhile if they were reducing the days or experience on offer. I'd bloody love to get a ticket (slim as that chance may be now) but if it's going to be just three days with less areas etc I'd probably just go to another festival instead and save Glasto for 22 personally speaking.

On the testing at the gate thing, there are ways around some of the issues (testing at locations a designated distance from the site, testing before boarding the coach etc), but it does throw up a whole load of problems. For example, I don't drive so if I wanted a Covid test now the ethical thing would be for me to get one sent to my home, not get public transport to a testing site. How do I get to a testing site before getting the coach? All the coach departure points are over an hour from me, so if I tested positive I'd then have to get public transport home still. I suppose I would try to mitigate this by isolating two weeks prior, but it puts anyone travelling by public transport in a bit of an odd position.

They would probably have to go to the extreme and control the whole process. Have testing centres in around the train stations where you are tested and kept for results (Masks and other hygiene procedures) and once passed, directed to a train designated for Glastonbury goers . So that way, they can control the environment. No idea how that would work with the train companies and hugely expensive 

2 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

They would probably have to go to the extreme and control the whole process. Have testing centres in around the train stations where you are tested and kept for results (Masks and other hygiene procedures) and once passed, directed to a train designated for Glastonbury goers . So that way, they can control the environment. No idea how that would work with the train companies and hugely expensive 

Still got the issue of how to get home from the testing centre if positive, though. Doubt they'd sort that for me! 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Still got the issue of how to get home from the testing centre if positive, though. Doubt they'd sort that for me! 

Very true. As the days go by its gonna be Vaccine or no vaccine. 

Even if the virus is under control it would be irresponsible for the government to let some 100k+ people congregate. If just few person had it, it could easily spread through a tightly packed crowd and next thing you know you have 10k new infections spreading to all parts of the country.