possibly happening in September...?

eFestivals

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I don’t hate that idea.

Maybe as bone to throw to the currently ticketless they block any registration with that ticket that’s rolling over to 22 from buying one for 21.

I think that that idea is very fair. Also close new registrations before they announce it. 

On 10/22/2020 at 9:03 AM, Hugh Jass said:

I don’t hate that idea.

Maybe as bone to throw to the currently ticketless they block any registration with that ticket that’s rolling over to 22 from buying one for 21.

An idea that almost certainly wouldn’t happen. Imagine blocking the 1000s of locals with tickets from the festival. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Maybe a reduced number of local tickets on a lottery basis then.

I think it would be the same number for locals and rightly so.

Also the festival have never given any special advantage for the ticketless from previous sales - they open it up as new each time and it’s luck of the draw. No evidence it should happen except wishful thinking. 

1 hour ago, strummer77 said:

I think it would be the same number for locals and rightly so.

Also the festival have never given any special advantage for the ticketless from previous sales - they open it up as new each time and it’s luck of the draw. No evidence it should happen except wishful thinking. 

I have a ticket for next year so what I’m suggesting adversely effects me. I’m just thinking of the poor sods who last went in 2019 and realistically won’t get another fair chance until 2023 at this rate.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I have a ticket for next year so what I’m suggesting adversely effects me. I’m just thinking of the poor sods who last went in 2019 and realistically won’t get another fair chance until 2023 at this rate.

That enhances the rationale of scrapping all ticket allocations with balances refunded if 2021 is cancelled. Rip it up and start again.

14 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Glastonbury has a following but is it strong enough to survive a four or even 6 year hiatus of people not even able to get tickets. 

21 hours ago, Lycra said:

That enhances the rationale of scrapping all ticket allocations with balances refunded if 2021 is cancelled. Rip it up and start again.

In the current climate can the festival afford to simply punt back £9million? Assuming they're still ploughing ahead with plans for 2021 still they'll be eating into whatever cash pile they have to hand. 

9 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Glastonbury has a following but is it strong enough to survive a four or even 6 year hiatus of people not even able to get tickets.

Yes, of course.

It'll only take one year of TV coverage, and all the ensuring hype that goes with it, and the demand spikes again.

43 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

In the current climate can the festival afford to simply punt back £9million? Assuming they're still ploughing ahead with plans for 2021 still they'll be eating into whatever cash pile they have to hand. 

How much realistically are they spending at the moment? The build hasn’t started and given that a large chunk of the lineup is carrying over there won’t be too much to do in terms of booking.

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

How much realistically are they spending at the moment? The build hasn’t started and given that a large chunk of the lineup is carrying over there won’t be too much to do in terms of booking.

The accounts for the fallow year show that they spent about 3 million when the festival wasn't happening. 

Net loss of about 2.6 million, made up with profits from the 2017 festival.

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

It's a given GFL have some continuing day to day outgoings in salaries etc but the bulk of the spend comes as plans as advanced April onwards. It's an interesting conundrum. On one hand a further delay until 2022 creates an opportunity for greater change, viz: both ticket holders and bands dropping out due to a change in circumstances. There's always a risk a festival in 2022 isn't possible. Then there's the question of fairness. How long can you hold on to a persons money without providing anything? Is it fair to ask those without tickets to wait until 2023? Is it fair to cancel existing tickets? Which way GFL decide to go Glasto 50 it won't be any more and that was a big driver for many who wanted to go.

14 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

The accounts for the fallow year show that they spent about 3 million when the festival wasn't happening. 

Net loss of about 2.6 million, made up with profits from the 2017 festival.

Interesting data but it may not give a accurate picture as site infrastructure improvements are often made during fallow years and these entail capitol expenditure. 

44 minutes ago, Lycra said:

It's a given GFL have some continuing day to day outgoings in salaries etc but the bulk of the spend comes as plans as advanced April onwards. It's an interesting conundrum. On one hand a further delay until 2022 creates an opportunity for greater change, viz: both ticket holders and bands dropping out due to a change in circumstances. There's always a risk a festival in 2022 isn't possible. Then there's the question of fairness. How long can you hold on to a persons money without providing anything? Is it fair to ask those without tickets to wait until 2023? Is it fair to cancel existing tickets? Which way GFL decide to go Glasto 50 it won't be any more and that was a big driver for many who wanted to go.

They can hold on to my money for as long as they need to.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

Interesting data but it may not give a accurate picture as site infrastructure improvements are often made during fallow years and these entail capitol expenditure. 

True. 

The accounts say they spent about 500k on wages of 23 people, so I assume that's about the minimum requirement to just keep the operation in hibernation. 

They also had 9 million in the bank so with 2020 deposits that's about 18 million now. Generating probably about 200k in interest. 

23 hours ago, Lycra said:

I would rather they kept my money and gave me a ticket for 2022 if 2021 can't go ahead. I think it would be far more unfair for those who got a ticket for 2020, to then lose their right to a ticket and then have to try like everyone else to get one for 2022. Imagine the uproar for those who got a ticket in 2020 but then didn't get one for 2022, especially if there is a load of crossover between the artists playing, which is very possible. The priority when it comes to fairness has to be with those who currently have invested money into GFL, i.e. the ticketholders. Fairness with regards to those without tickets is almost irrelevant - let's say for argument sake that they had said 2019 would be the last festival, would we be talking about how unfair it was on those who missed out on tickets for 2019, given they would never have another opportunity to go? The festival has a finite capacity, and unfortunately once all tickets are gone, they're gone. People always complain about how fair/unfair the system is, no system is perfect, but if you start taking tickets away from actual ticketholders, then that is dodgy ground, where fairness can definitely be questioned.

7 hours ago, tigger123 said:

I would rather they kept my money and gave me a ticket for 2022 if 2021 can't go ahead. I think it would be far more unfair for those who got a ticket for 2020, to then lose their right to a ticket and then have to try like everyone else to get one for 2022. Imagine the uproar for those who got a ticket in 2020 but then didn't get one for 2022, especially if there is a load of crossover between the artists playing, which is very possible. The priority when it comes to fairness has to be with those who currently have invested money into GFL, i.e. the ticketholders. Fairness with regards to those without tickets is almost irrelevant - let's say for argument sake that they had said 2019 would be the last festival, would we be talking about how unfair it was on those who missed out on tickets for 2019, given they would never have another opportunity to go? The festival has a finite capacity, and unfortunately once all tickets are gone, they're gone. People always complain about how fair/unfair the system is, no system is perfect, but if you start taking tickets away from actual ticketholders, then that is dodgy ground, where fairness can definitely be questioned.

I'd agree with this, I'd be happy for them to keep my money and honour my ticket to 2022 if they had to cancel in 2021. It's a very tricky situation but I feel that would still be what they would do and is the fairest way of handling it.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I'd agree with this, I'd be happy for them to keep my money and honour my ticket to 2022 if they had to cancel in 2021. It's a very tricky situation but I feel that would still be what they would do and is the fairest way of handling it.

I’d be more than happy with that, same goes for the cash we paid for Worthy  View. I reckon though that others less committed to the festival might take up the offer of a refund. More for the resale crew hopefully!  

10 hours ago, tigger123 said:

I don't think there would be any cause for concern that they won't roll our tickets over now. As I think @incident said on this thread or another, there's a precedent now - and one that has been welcomed by the 99.99% (estimate) who didn't claim the money back.

But on 'fairness'... I don't think we have a 'right' to attend the next festival because of a successful purchase attempt for the 2020 fest and I believe we should really see us being allowed to keep our tickets as a gesture of goodwill. It's a mutually beneficial gesture too, but if there was a point where the festival could no longer feasibly keep rollin rollin rollin our tickets, then any entitlement or outrage about it would be kinda gross.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't think there would be any cause for concern that they won't roll our tickets over now. As I think @incident said on this thread or another, there's a precedent now - and one that has been welcomed by the 99.99% (estimate) who didn't claim the money back.

But on 'fairness'... I don't think we have a 'right' to attend the next festival because of a successful purchase attempt for the 2020 fest and I believe we should really see us being allowed to keep our tickets as a gesture of goodwill. It's a mutually beneficial gesture too, but if there was a point where the festival could no longer feasibly keep rollin rollin rollin our tickets, then any entitlement or outrage about it would be kinda gross.

Because actually they are just honouring a purchase ... unfortunately the people without tickets are an unknown quantity ... so why wouldn’t they keep that money in the system ... ticketless but I’m fine with that ... it makes sense in terms of making the festival sustainable... no guarantees in a future main sale with all tickets back in the pot anyway ... 

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Because actually they are just honouring a purchase ... unfortunately the people without tickets are an unknown quantity ... so why wouldn’t they keep that money in the system ... ticketless but I’m fine with that ... it makes sense in terms of making the festival sustainable... no guarantees in a future main sale with all tickets back in the pot anyway ... 

The ticket that we purchased ... was for the festival this year ... so it's not honouring a purchase ... no ...

It's a moot point really because it's unlikely that they're ever going to be in a position where they have to or they choose to refund everyone, but we ticketholders shouldn't take it for granted that the festival has allowed us to roll it.