possibly happening in September...?

eFestivals

27 minutes ago, toppo said:

The more thought I've put into this rumour the more unlikely it can happen.

Unless theres a vaccine in the next couple of months (very unlikely leaning towards impossible) there isn't a prayer of Glasto happening next year. Same for any large event globally.

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Not had a test yet, but the NHS must be issuing some sort of official test results (like a paper letter or email or something)

What would that letter prove though?

That you probably didn’t have Covid at the time of the test. There’s nothing to say that you couldn’t have picked it up in the time since the test and receipt of the letter. Anyone who gets regular letters from the NHS will know how slow the administration works. 200,000 people trying to get a letter at the same time will break the system. 

Immunity after catching the virus doesn’t seem to be a thing either. 

Edited by squirrelarmy

19 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

That you probably didn’t have Covid at the time of the test. There’s nothing to say that you couldn’t have picked it up in the time since the test and receipt of the letter. Anyone who gets regular letters from the NHS will know how slow the administration works. 200,000 people trying to get a letter at the same time will break the system. 

You get a text and email within 48 hours. That could be evidence. 

Yes, the flaw in the test is that it's always lagged. 2 days for results, false negative if you're within the first day of catching it etc etc.

But given the 5 day asymptomatic period knowing you didn't have it 2 days ago is still better then nothing.

12 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

so the government have a capacity for testing set at 500,000 tests per day for october I think .... maximum daily tests of late 190,000 ..... so clearly its doable .... although im not sure if the government would allow  glastonbury to use that capacity ? its all about minimising risk surely ... they will never be 100% safe ... but thats just like everything they need to be shown to be taking precautions against it .... the test would prove that you dont have it at that point ... say 3 days before and that is minimising risk isn't it ? 

Here's a thought on testing. Given there are so many festivals throughout the year, could they all team up to pay for testing sites in major towns and cities? 

So before you went to any festival/large event you went to your local festival testing site.

Those that can't make it could have a test posted to them. 

Edited by Leyrulion
Typo

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

Here's a thought on testing. Given there are so many festivals throughout the year, could they all team up to pay for testing sites in major towns and cities? 

So before you went to any festival/large event you went to your local festival testing site.

Those that can't make it could have a test posted to them. 

those testing sites already exist ... so they would need to pay for the use rather than the setting  up .... serco would love a nice little earner ..

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

those testing sites already exist ... so they would need to pay for the use rather than the setting  up .... serco would love a nice little earner ..

True. I know quite a few people who have got tests without symptoms before going somewhere "just to be sure". 

Have done it myself before flying to visit family. They could monetize that.

29 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Bit like an MOT test, just proves car is ok or time of test.  With Covid  nothing to stop you getting a neg test then catching it anytime after the test. 

49 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It's all about probability and reducing risk. Such a certificate reduces the chance of you having the virus at the time of the festival.

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Yep I saw some comparisons to Coachella made, but Coachella have charged people the full ticket price so it’s no surprise a big percentage have wanted that money back. That £50 is most likely forgotten by most at this point and will at some point in the near future be one of the best investments people have made. Damn I wish I was £50 skinter right now.

Plus Coachella lineups are awful these days, they don't just instantly sell out like they used to either. I just for fun remember last year going on and looking for a ticket which was easy to buy. Back when I went we went weekend two and it was a struggle.

Glastonbury obviously had the drink anywhere going for it but I don't think the lineup is the best they have put out at all this time. I probably had 11 acts I'd see or make an effort to at the most a few of them would have clashed so maybe 7/8 set in stone. 2017 I think for me wins in the last few years overall but last year had some highlights.

2 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

She certainly managed to pull this years event off so close to lockdown. And political sway certainly is a trump card (pardon the pun). I just can’t help think that March will be far too soon for a full capacity Cheltenham to happen. It’ll depend on how the football crowds go.

live nations cancellation of the Bryan Adams show in Germany is a good example of people trying too soon, and that was at a vastly reduced capacity. 

Even more relevant is that Matt Hancock is West Suffolk MP, which encompasses Newmarket Racecourse and the largest grouping of Racehorse training yards in the country. Lot of money at stake and a lot of pressure on Hancock.

Let’s be honest, the Government will have us all ‘back to normal’ by March at the latest when Cheltenham is on. Regardless of where we’re actually up to with the Virus. The Furlough scheme is on its way out, they want everyone back in the Office, they’ll probably be a Vaccine by then or very close. 

Whether you as an individual think its safe will be up to you, but they want the Economy firing especially with us about to crash out of the EU.

29 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

This is a more significantly realistic take than saying 'no vaccine = no festivals, simple as that'.

Things can change. They quite possibly will, again. But if quick testing becomes more effective, and rising positive tests don't correlate to rising deaths/hospital overcapacity in the same way – recent data suggests this is the case – then the messaging from the gov/big business will shift. It won't be long until the official line is: "yes it's in the population and no we don't have a vaccine yet, but it's time to get back to life and roll with a fractional chance of bad illness."

No Glasto signifies not just a lack of similar festivals and arena gigs, but no Euros, no Cheltenham, no FA Cup final, no Wimbledon, no Fringe, the collapse of sport and culture across the country (just about hanging on now). You can argue the morality, but 50-odd vulnerable people dying per week will not result in the cancellation of another summer's worth of business, not with this government at the wheel.

The UK festivals and concerts market is worth approximately £2.5 billion to UK GDP p.a.

The UK tourism industry is worth £106 billion p.a.

The government will prioritise tourism over festivals etc and they won't want foreign governments imposing travel restrictions to the UK if they allow the virus to spread unchecked (or even the impression that they are allowing such a thing) just to support festivals etc.

If we are still in a precarious position next year then we won't be alone in maintaining restrictions on such events because, in comparison with other areas, they pale into insignificance.

4 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

From what I understand, Covid has a new strain, it spreads much more quickly but .. it’s a lot less deadly, this would safely give us chance for heard immunity.

not proven as yet ..... its thought that the lack of hospitalisations and deaths is from younger population being infected 

32 minutes ago, Copperface said:

The UK festivals and concerts market is worth approximately £2.5 billion to UK GDP p.a.

The UK tourism industry is worth £106 billion p.a.

The government will prioritise tourism over festivals etc and they won't want foreign governments imposing travel restrictions to the UK if they allow the virus to spread unchecked (or even the impression that they are allowing such a thing) just to support festivals etc.

If we are still in a precarious position next year then we won't be alone in maintaining restrictions on such events because, in comparison with other areas, they pale into insignificance.

I don’t see the two as an ‘either or’ in fact they’re probably quite linked in reality. For example Theatres being open is a big part of Tourism in London, like the Fringe in Edinburgh.

But overall I think you might be giving the Government more credit than they deserve. If something makes money, they want it open. 

There is already a little shift in the Media narrative towards a return to normality, and how we make that happen. Soon they will start trying to trigger the difficult conversation about isolating those who are actually vulnerable. A lot of those people aren’t economic contributors anyway, so why is everyone restricted from getting the Economy moving? If the NHS is not getting overloaded what is the problem with those who can cope getting it and dealing with it?

Im not saying it’s right I’m just saying that’s how they wanted to handle it in the first place. They only pivoted when that Ferguson model said they would lose otherwise healthy, economically viable people because the NHS couldn’t cope. 

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

🧐 Who's talking about letting the virus spread unchecked though? Quick and effective testing is mentioned right there at the top of my second para, and has been central to all public statements given by big promoters so far.

You might have missed that Europe opened up before us? Borderless travel and all. And just this week, France loosened restrictions on social gatherings to 5000. So why you think foreign governments would impose tourism-crushing measures on us exclusively is a little lost on me.

We're not America, pretending that it's Mission Accomplished while the country is in ruins. Hospital admissions are at their lowest point since late March and the death rate has not risen in line with with an uptick in cases – here, or in Europe. We're hurtling ahead toward a vaccine, or at least closing in on a halfway-house strategy that shelters the vulnerable and adapts localised lockdowns to target problem areas while society creeps back to something approaching normality.

10 months is a long time to get it right and make major public events (sports inclusive, which you've omitted) viable again; it's only been 5 since the pandemic hit on these shores after all.

You've made quite the reach to say we'll be an international pariah by then. Think you're a few bales short of a straw man in honesty.

1. " the official line is: "yes it's in the population and no we don't have a vaccine yet, but it's time to get back to life and roll with a fractional chance of bad illness." .....Sounds a lot like letting it spread/herd immunity. 

2. "You might have missed that Europe opened up before us?".....No. I work all over Europe (though not at the moment as there are travel restrictions in place in the majority of countries, as well as UK imposed restrictions). You might have missed that Europe locked down before us, dealt, in general, with it more effectively and hence started easing restrictions before the UK.As to loosening restrictions, France is now experiencing a a new surge of infections so let's see how that goes.

https://www.thenational.ae/world/europe/france-reports-nearly-7-400-new-coronavirus-cases-in-exponential-surge-1.1069747

3. "We're hurtling ahead toward a vaccine".....lot of work going on but no-one seriously expects a tried and tested vaccine to be ready, safe and fully deployed (ie those who need/want it have received it) before next summer or later.

4. " while society creeps back to something approaching normality." - That normality will include some degree of social restrictions for the forseeable future or until a vaccine/treatment is found.

5. "make major public events (sports inclusive, which you've omitted)" - apologies, I did mention that on a separate thread. Sports will go ahead but with a severely reduced capacity to comply with distancing.

6. " we'll be an international pariah by then."....not saying that at all. Just stating that, as like it is now, there will be travel restrictions between countries -  if we have a particularly laissez-faire attitude toward virus control measures and the infection rate is high, then, as all countries have done, are doing and will continue to do, then we will have restrictions placed on us as we are doing to other countries. They will want to avoid that if at all possible.

You will of course have noted that the Government envision that the initial implementation of the Health Regulations is based on two years (re ratified every six months). That is for a reason.

Yes, large scale events are part of the tourism equation, but they will be readily sacrificed to ensure that mass tourism and travel can continue.

The saying is "a few straws short of a bale"

Edited by Copperface

33 minutes ago, Copperface said:

1. " the official line is: "yes it's in the population and no we don't have a vaccine yet, but it's time to get back to life and roll with a fractional chance of bad illness." .....Sounds a lot like letting it spread/herd immunity. 

Just jumping in here to say that there's no way this ends without herd immunity. The only debate is how we get there and how fast. 

We either get there "naturally" and it moves through the population, the rate will vary based on the measures in place. Or a vaccine comes along and we get it through that. 

Chris Witty has said that eradication is now "technically impossible". Even If it was possible it would take years or decades. 

So herd immunity is the only way this ends.

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Saw something called Somerset live on Facebook with the heading Emily Eavis talks about her plans for next years festival. Excited, I opened it hoping for some exclusive news only to find that they had regurgitated Emily’s tweets from yesterday. 

its crap .... what  makes it worse is they have a cover model  that often  appears on Glastonbury Articles ..... Me !!! 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Just jumping in here to say that there's no way this ends without herd immunity. The only debate is how we get there and how fast. 

We either get there "naturally" and it moves through the population, the rate will vary based on the measures in place. Or a vaccine comes along and we get it through that. 

Chris Witty has said that eradication is now "technically impossible". Even If it was possible it would take years or decades. 

Fully agree.

That immunity is achieved at around 70% of the population. Nobody really knows current figure but most estimates are at around 10% (ish).

But that immunity will be achieved with the help of a vaccine rather than a brute contraction and recovery scenario.Many people will not be able to have a vaccine, be unresponsive to it and other such issues.

Long, long way to go.

28 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

There’s another way it ends. When a sufficient number of people decide it doesn’t warrant a significant risk to them and they decide not to follow the rules anymore, aided and abetted by a Government that wants to get the Economy going above all else, the latters cheerleaders in the Media, and a Vaccine rushed through and made available before Phase 3 Trials have ended. We’re gradually moving towards that point.

• Upvote 1