possibly happening in September...?

eFestivals

33 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Interesting to see that the reason given for cancelling the October resale was that so few took up the option. Thinking about it logically, tying up 50 quid after the incredible luck of being successful in the original sale is understandable though I do realise some might need it back in the current economic climate. I know of two who said they were going for a refund but seems have held off, still can’t make next year but their thinking is it might be rescheduled again!  Can’t blame them for that I suppose. 

As for September I suppose the bbc might have problems altering their operation to cover the festival. They do seem to commit a helluva lot of resources to it and that might already be required elsewhere. 

I'm a bit perplexed by the statement on low cancellations especially since we haven't even reached the deadline for people to act by. This normally triggers a response of some magnitude. So maybe with so much uncertainty around they want to give people longer to decide.

Regarding moving to September, it's easier said than done. Don't forget the festival uses land from neighbouring farms and these farmers may not want their pasture chewed up going into autumn & winter when grass growth is reduced or dormant. Additionally the infrastructure required for GF may be required elsewhere. Thats besides performer availability.

Edited by Lycra

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I can't see how it would work on arrival. Coach travel is a big factor. How would we get home?! Quite apart from the hassle of getting down there only to be turned away.

Testing on arrival would be mental for many reasons some like you outline.

I'd think doing 2 tests before the festival, one a week before then another 2 days before the festival. If both show negative then you log your results with your registration, which when scanned at the gates shows you are clear to enter. Obviously it's open to lying but it's something at least?

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I can't see how it would work on arrival. Coach travel is a big factor. How would we get home?! Quite apart from the hassle of getting down there only to be turned away.

Same for those traveling down as a group. How can you refuse entry to one member and not the rest. 

How much will your friends hate you if you force your group to be turned away at the gate. 

Testing on arrival will cause far too many problems. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Testing on arrival would be mental for many reasons some like you outline.

I'd think doing 2 tests before the festival, one a week before then another 2 days before the festival. If both show negative then you log your results with your registration, which when scanned at the gates shows you are clear to enter. Obviously it's open to lying but it's something at least?

It’s certainly open to abuse, if you’re testing at home then what’s stopping you from giving someone else’s results?

4 minutes ago, Lycra said:

I'm a bit perplexed by the statement on low cancellations especially since we haven't even reached the deadline for people to act by. This normally triggers response of some magnitude. So maybe with so much uncertainty around they want to give people longer to decide.

Regarding moving to September, it's easier said than done. Don't forget the festival uses land from neighbouring farms and these farmers may not want their pasture chewed up going into autumn & winter when grass growth is reduced or dormant. Additionally the infrastructure required for GF may be required elsewhere.

This is a good point actually. Wasn't the cut off date for refunds mid September? So how would they know if some were waiting until then? Doubt it would be many though. I think you would have cancelled by now if you were going to.

13 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Well there's already a medical centre in Israel where they use tests that tell you if you're positive instantly, within a second. So I guess tests could be done on the day of the festival. 

I have to say I have heard this specific test is as reliable as Putin's vaccine (not), but I'm positive about better working 'insta-tests' way before a good working vaccine. 

A single test is unreliable in detecting covid positives. The NHS uses repeat testing before anyone is declared covid negative & cleared to come out of isolation.

Edited by Lycra

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s certainly open to abuse, if you’re testing at home then what’s stopping you from giving someone else’s results?

Well there would have to be the element of trust I guess. I don't know if it's possible to prove a test results has actually come from you though?

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

Testing on arrival will cause far too many problems. 

You would also need testing facilities on every gate open round the clock. The queues to get in are bad enough as it is without adding an extra layer, and that’s before you consider how people you’d infect just by everyone standing in the queue.

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This is a good point actually. Wasn't the cut off date for refunds mid September? So how would they know if some were waiting until then? Doubt it would be many though. I think you would have cancelled by now if you were going to.

I did feel the festival were a little sneaky in this respect. They offered refunds but it was buried away in the small print that you had to email the festival and wait for them to issue the money back. They didn’t really push it.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I did feel the festival were a little sneaky in this respect. They offered refunds but it was buried away in the small print that you had to email the festival and wait for them to issue the money back. They didn’t really push it.

Ticket sales are managed by See, which is a business and, as we all know, the last thing businesses like is to give refunds, especially when they can't claim an oversized deduction for "administration".

1 minute ago, Lycra said:

Ticket sales are managed by See, which is a business and, as we all know, the last thing businesses like is to give refunds, especially when they can't claim an oversized deduction for "administration".

im sure they also get a decent chunk of interest from money held  too ..... 

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

You would also need testing facilities on every gate open round the clock. The queues to get in are bad enough as it is without adding an extra layer, and that’s before you consider how people you’d infect just by everyone standing in the queue.

Presume we’ll be carrying around our covid status on our phones by then, and frequently being tested in all sorts of contexts? 

(maybe that’s happening already!)

31 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Well there's already a medical centre in Israel where they use tests that tell you if you're positive instantly, within a second. So I guess tests could be done on the day of the festival. 

I have to say I have heard this specific test is as reliable as Putin's vaccine (not), but I'm positive about better working 'insta-tests' way before a good working vaccine. 

But Israel is miles away😕

1 minute ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

I don't think there is any feasible way to test on arrival. Think of the queues, the anger/upset, the coach ticketers, not to mention that presumably the people testing positive will have mixed and potentially passed it on to others already. It's not going to happen, in my opinion. 

I agree ... surely  a test before people travel / or a vaccine certificate would  be the only options .... instant testing available on site for people with symptoms would massively cut the risk ... added to  the fact its predominantly outside ... 

There are tests in Amsterdam airport at the moment that come back in 90 minutes.

Working in the industry I hear there are people aiming for 5/10 min tests to allow events to happen with testing on site. There are others looking at track and trace pre tests. It’ll depend on the event, promoters and numbers through the gates at certain times. Allocated entry time’s could become quite common though. 

1 minute ago, The Crimson King said:

There are tests in Amsterdam airport at the moment that come back in 90 minutes.

Working in the industry I hear there are people aiming for 5/10 min tests to allow events to happen with testing on site. There are others looking at track and trace pre tests. It’ll depend on the event, promoters and numbers through the gates at certain times. Allocated entry time’s could become quite common though. 

open the gates and  slots the night before aid the flow .... I can see this kind of working but might mean lots of hanging about in carparks trying to hit your allocated slot 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

open the gates and  slots the night before aid the flow .... I can see this kind of working but might mean lots of hanging about in carparks trying to hit your allocated slot 

The only thing with that would be if people end up stuck in traffic coming from a way away.. but i suppose they'd have a plan for missed slots?

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I can see some events will put testing away from the main gates, either in car parks or in offsite locations within a certain radius of the site 

Edited by The Crimson King

Just now, Wellyboot said:

The only thing with that would be if people end up stuck in traffic coming from a way away.. but i suppose they'd have a plan for missed slots?

probably the only time id make myself available for an overnight slot ..... desperate not to get a late one 

2 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

I can see some events will put testing away from the main gates, either in car parks or in offsite locations within a certain radius of the site 

yep that makes sense ,  drive through testing on the approaches 

Edited by crazyfool1

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

yep that makes sense ,  drive through testing on the approaches 

Pretty much everyone has offsite areas for artist  accreditation / truck parking / etc, so it wouldn’t take too much to repurpose these into drive through testing.

can also see it being done at local railway stations and at the point of entry to coaches. To save turning people away at the gates

Edited by The Crimson King

3 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Pretty much everyone has offsite areas for artist  accreditation / truck parking / etc, so it wouldn’t take too much to repurpose these into drive through testing

carparks would be fairly simple they just repurpose the security pullovers at the entrance  although this would lead to congestion around the site  ....  coaches could have tests before boarding at the departure locations preventing issues with whole busses being refused ..... trains might be a little more challenging ....

Edited by crazyfool1