possibly happening in September...?

eFestivals

5 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Mmmh if they are contemplating that June is not a possibility, this does not bode well for the festivals I do have tickets for Bearded (May) and Bluedot (July) :(

id just take this as a backup plan at present ... no need to worry unduly yet ..... vaccines due should hopefully sort it and june will take place as normal .... 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, gfa said:

If the festival moves to september the touring dynamic will be strange with the 2 (3 really as two sites for R&L) biggest festivals all at the same end of the summer - download doesn't really share acts with them so not counting it. Not sure what that would do to be honest but definitely could lead to previously ruled out acts now being a possibility for both festivals. If All Points East is also moving then its even more significant

Or it will be a good thing. A lot of tours are looking at late 2021 to give the situation enough time. Usually late summer is less busy for touring acts, but if there is a big fat question mark on whether early summer events can go ahead I can see many not wanting to sign up for things that are too soon.

32 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

id just take this as a backup plan at present ... no need to worry unduly yet ..... vaccines due should hopefully sort it and june will take place as normal .... 

Agree with that, but it’s good to have a contingency plan. Problems might crop up with booking bands but I’m sure the festival will be well aware who is available.  Might be a bit chilly in the evening but a plus is more acts can perform after nightfall! Let’s face it, anytime next year pleeeeeaaase! 

6 hours ago, incident said:

Potentially fucking cold at night. But I don't think the chance/amount of rain would be all that different to June.

I was at a festival in the second weekend of September last year and overnight was the coldest I've ever been, by far. Though that was in the Midlands.

EOTR runs the first weekend in September in the South West and as I understand it usually has decent weather.

Bestival used to run the second weekend of September on the IOW, and had a mixture of weather - some great years, and some washouts.

The first Glastonbury, or Pilton Pop Festival, was the third weekend of September so there's an anniversary there if they choose to use it.

Festival number 6 in 2017 was freezing in September but I guess Somerset has some better chance of good weather than deepest darkest Wales. 

Ended up with a heatwave last weekend of September on a trip to Cornwall in 2016 so it really is down to luck.

39 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

I wouldn't be as concerned, the issues here seem to be the scale of Glastonbury and amount of people, Bearded and Bluedot have a far smaller capacity than this and have more of a chance of going ahead in the grand scheme of things 

Yeah I think the others can set up over a week or two instead of a few months. Have to really as its usually on public land  

35 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Potentially disastrous for me if it clashed with end of the road - Sophie's choice as I love them both equally.

I can also confirm it's usually decent weather by day, but it's ALWAYS fucking freezing at night!

Thinking of doing EOTR soon but might go with someone who doesn’t do camping. How easy would it be to leave site every night and head to a nearby Travelodge?

44 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I can also confirm it's usually decent weather by day, but it's ALWAYS fucking freezing at night!

Larmer Tree Gardens elevation is about 500 feet - Oxylers is about 50 feet, hence there will always be a temperature differential.

Always love that drive steadily uphill for several miles.

15 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Thinking of doing EOTR soon but might go with someone who doesn’t do camping. How easy would it be to leave site every night and head to a nearby Travelodge?

It depends - would you be on foot or driving? Larmer tree gardens is miles from anywhere, so on foot would be a massive no. By car, it's about a half hour drive to Salisbury.

We could have an answer to this by Christmas Day.  The current licence allows for one festival per year, with sale of alcohol allowed from 1st June until the Monday following the festival.  There are no set dates for the festival in the licence so theoretically the alcohol sales conditions could allow for a move to September without a licence change.

However, there is a licence condition that GFL have to submit an Event Management Plan 180 days before commencement of the event, which means that if they haven’t submitted one by 25 December 2020 a 23rd June 2021 event isn't happening.

This could be the best Christmas present you've ever had.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, March Hare said:

I’m in. Is this what is being asked?

If it’s cold I’ll put a fleece on.

If it’s cold at night I’ll take two sleeping bags.

It’s it rains it’s no different to a rainy day in June.

Fantastic that there is a plan b for 2021.

Exactly, to be honest we always bring clothing to suit every eventuality, including spare sleeping bags in the car in case of a leaking tent. Done enough spring and autumn camping to know it can be really enjoyable. No such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing!  Good festival marketing ideas, fleeces and hot water bottles. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Exactly, to be honest we always bring clothing to suit every eventuality, including spare sleeping bags in the car in case of a leaking tent. Don’t enough spring and autumn camping to know it can be really enjoyable. No such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing!  Good festival marketing ideas, fleeces and hot water bottles. 

bloody hell and I thought we prepared for everything .....   @Wellyboot is the forum expert on hot water bottles !!!  apparently theres a way to fill them .... ive no idea as I dont own one ... ill just take the extra battery packs to snuggle up to .... hope shines brightest in the lights 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cidy said:

They considered having the festival somewhere else a while back and that never happened so hopefully this won't ,Sept will be freezing, try camping in your back garden this year for just 3 nights.

It’s not usually that bad, Bestival was always ok, apart from chilly mornings and the odd thunderstorm.

Plus the crowds are good at September events... you get the feeling everyone is trying to drain the last drops of summer! 

18 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

However, there is a licence condition that GFL have to submit an Event Management Plan 180 days before commencement of the event, which means that if they haven’t submitted one by 25 December 2020 a 23rd June 2021 event isn't happening.

I could be wrong on this, but I don't think that MDC usually publish or publicly acknowledge that the EMP has been submitted until much later - Google suggests that the 2019 EMP was published in February. So we can't really take a lack of info as meaning much.

4 minutes ago, incident said:

I could be wrong on this, but I don't think that MDC usually publish or publicly acknowledge that the EMP has been submitted until much later - Google suggests that the 2019 EMP was published in February. So we can't really take a lack of info as meaning much.

But if you have a friend on MDC...... 😉

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

bloody hell and I thought we prepared for everything .....   @Wellyboot is the forum expert on hot water bottles !!!  apparently theres a way to fill them .... ive no idea as I dont own one ... ill just take the extra battery packs to snuggle up to .... hope shines brightest in the lights 

Used a hot water bottle camping in March in the Lake District, bloody thing was nearly frozen in the morning. Surely there’s only one way to fill them, heat water and pour it in. 

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Used a hot water bottle camping in March in the Lake District, bloody thing was nearly frozen in the morning. Surely there’s only one way to fill them, heat water and pour it in. 

you should join one of the online meets ... apparently not :)