possibly happening in September...?

eFestivals

Most times at End Of The Road it’s been lovely weather, pretty warm too.

i kinda hope the change of date would negate bucket listers, assuming the capacity may have to be reduced this gives me a chance at least of getting tickets. 

Quite optimistic that this could be a goer, some good acts usually touring at this time of year too. 

fingers crossed this will happen if it needs to. 

Said it in the headliners thread but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that if it can’t happen in June then it isn’t gonna happen in September either. The sad reality is that not much is really gonna change in those couple of months, and although I’m sure the Glastonbury team knows more about the ins and outs of it than most of us, if they’re being told that June is a no-go for the festival then it seems like blind optimism to think that moving it to September is gonna make any difference. 

Heres hoping it doesn’t come to that and June is still a goer and that we’re given a bit more of an update soon (I imagine they’ll have to say something soon now that an October sale looks to be not happening).

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Said it in the headliners thread but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that if it can’t happen in June then it isn’t gonna happen in September either. The sad reality is that not much is really gonna change in those couple of months, and although I’m sure the Glastonbury team knows more about the ins and outs of it than most of us, if they’re being told that June is a no-go for the festival then it seems like blind optimism to think that moving it to September is gonna make any difference. 

Heres hoping it doesn’t come to that and June is still a goer and that we’re given a bit more of an update soon (I imagine they’ll have to say something soon now that an October sale looks to be not happening).

Isn't it not about June though but the situation when they're doing the build in April. 

The tail end of social distancing restrictions after winter might mean they can't get people on site in April but could in July. 

3 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Isn't it not about June though but the situation when they're doing the build in April. 

The tail end of social distancing restrictions after winter might mean they can't get people on site in April but could in July. 

Hmm maybe, but again, are those few months gonna make all that much difference? And this is all assuming that social distancing restrictions will be lessened by then. I know the government has talked about it reducing around Christmas/the new year, but who knows where we’ll be around then. Just seems very optimistic to me and like something that’s probably not gonna end up happening if June isn’t allowed to go ahead.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Hmm maybe, but again, are those few months gonna make all that much difference? And this is all assuming that social distancing restrictions will be lessened by then. I know the government has talked about it reducing around Christmas/the new year, but who knows where we’ll be around then. Just seems very optimistic to me and like something that’s probably not gonna end up happening if June isn’t allowed to go ahead.

I think you’re looking at this wrong. The festival are desperate for the event to go ahead next year. It sounds to me like they are trying to buy as much time as possible.

If there’s a chance June 2021 is a no go - but a better chance of September 2021, then they will probably go for it as it gives them a bit more time to sit on the situation. 

A site build which doesn’t start till July 2021 gives them more time for the county to get over whatever hangover the winter period will leave.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I think you’re looking at this wrong. The festival are desperate for the event to go ahead next year. It sounds to me like they are trying to buy as much time as possible.

If there’s a chance June 2021 is a no go - but a better chance of September 2021, then they will probably go for it as it gives them a bit more time to sit on the situation. 

A site build which doesn’t start till July 2021 gives them more time for the county to get over whatever hangover the winter period will leave.

Are you going to have as many attempts at this as you do guessing the headliners ?  :)  

4 hours ago, jyoung said:

Teachers, man.

I’m a teacher and this doesn’t really change things for me, School is in term when Glasto is usually in anyway, so most teachers who go either use built up PPA time to get the Friday/Monday off, or just go for the weekend (which is what I do).

The only thing it does change is that fact that I’d be going at the start of a school year, rather than at the end, which means kids will be less settled etc.

Let’s be fair if an event the size of Glastonbury is exploring this possibility they’re not doing it blindly.  I’d suggest like anything, those that need to know are probably being guided in a certain way.

Like someone said a few posts up, it may be get over winter, let everything settle down and then social distancing relaxed over the spring/summer periods which makes the build/event easier to happen.  

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I would also go along with this theory. In my mind they have a cut off date to be able to make a decision on whether June can go ahead (for booking staff, facilities etc and the build to start). If they get to that point and can’t be pretty certain it’s a goer they then have a contingency option of a Sept date and can then start working towards that instead. What that cut off date is I wouldnt know but would guess feb/March time. Nothing to back this up just a theory 

46 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I think the April thing is a bit overstated.

Yes, Glastonbury has a much longer build than anywhere else, aside from Boomtown. But the number of people on site that early is minimal.

Approximately speaking, the fence starts going up at the start of May, and takes about 2 weeks to complete. Yes, there's a handful of people working on site prior to that, but it really is only a handful. It's only once the fence is up or near to it that numbers worth measuring start arriving, and from what I've heard they won't break a thousand people on site until somewhere around 2 weeks before gates open. The overwhelming majority of staff won't be on site until at the earliest the Saturday before the festival.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

I think the April thing is a bit overstated.

Yes, Glastonbury has a much longer build than anywhere else, aside from Boomtown. But the number of people on site that early is minimal.

Approximately speaking, the fence starts going up at the start of May, and takes about 2 weeks to complete. Yes, there's a handful of people working on site prior to that, but it really is only a handful. It's only once the fence is up or near to it that numbers worth measuring start arriving, and from what I've heard they won't break a thousand people on site until somewhere around 2 weeks before gates open. The overwhelming majority of staff won't be on site until at the earliest the Saturday before the festival.

Oh OK. So it would be just seeing where we are vaccine wise which would make the move possible?

25 minutes ago, Sdsm123 said:

@eFestivals aren’t the build teams usually the same people for boomtown? How is that going to work, they will have to choose which festival to build.. can’t do both!

The clash with Boomtown would probably rule out a lot of people for all of August, but if Glastonbury went to say the second weekend in September (ie Bestival weekend), it could probably work. It'll vary a lot but on average most of the people involved will do about 2 weeks on site build before each festival, then the break after will take another week.

the other issue is / could be crops of the other farms ? I dont know what they grow but surely holding the fields open for a potential festival in june and then september would raise the festival costs significantly in terms of being able to have the land of other farms available 

If the festival moves to september the touring dynamic will be strange with the 2 (3 really as two sites for R&L) biggest festivals all at the same end of the summer - download doesn't really share acts with them so not counting it. Not sure what that would do to be honest but definitely could lead to previously ruled out acts now being a possibility for both festivals. If All Points East is also moving then its even more significant

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

the other issue is / could be crops of the other farms ? I dont know what they grow but surely holding the fields open for a potential festival in june and then september would raise the festival costs significantly in terms of being able to have the land of other farms available 

I'm pretty sure it's all pasture, no crops during festival years as they'd be growing by June.

Just about every field used by every festival has to be pasture or parkland by necessity.

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Good point the surrounding farm land would need to be considered!

1 minute ago, incident said:

I'm pretty sure it's all pasture, no crops during festival years as they'd be growing by June.

Just about every field used by every festival has to be pasture or parkland by necessity.

yep that makes sense as we do normally  see them grass cutting in the weeks before on Glasto cam .... those cows might have a bit of a change to the routine ...

3 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Mmmh if they are contemplating that June is not a possibility, this does not bode well for the festivals I do have tickets for Bearded (May) and Bluedot (July) :(

I wouldn't be as concerned, the issues here seem to be the scale of Glastonbury and amount of people, Bearded and Bluedot have a far smaller capacity than this and have more of a chance of going ahead in the grand scheme of things