Tramlines 2021 and Hillsborough Gigs

JBarbour

8 hours ago, thewayiam said:

You aren't allowed to say this though. Every opinion that suggests a music event may not go ahead gets the response of you don't want it to or you are too negative.

I don't care if people react negatively tbh. The truth is its getting more and more unlikely large scale events are happening. 

Festival organisers are still planning the best they can though. The point they have to cancel is when they start having to make large financial commitments with no financial security. Its as simple as that. 

No line up announcement doesn't mean a festival has given up though and waiting to announce the cancellation. Could it be cancelled before the line up comes out? Sure. At that point I'd happily say the three headliners I think it is, but that info is obsolete. 

Edited by JBarbour
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

I don't care if people react negatively tbh. The truth is its getting more and more unlikely large scale events are happening. 

Festival organisers are still planning the best they can though. The point they have to cancel is when they start having to make large financial commitments with no financial security. Its as simple as that. 

No line up announcement doesn't mean a festival as just given up though and waiting to announce the cancellation as being suggested. Could it be cancelled before the line up comes out? Sure. At that point I'd happily say the three headliners I think it is, but that info is obsolete. 

100%

4 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

It must be so difficult for organisers.   The Government have announced the Roadmap but at the time I was extremely doubtful that large scale events would happen this Summer.  

Shame no politicians are invested in festivals 😄

14 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

Shame no politicians are invested in festivals 😄

Can not see Rishi Sunak in the Mosh Pit.  Maybe at the Pimms Tent.

Boris would be the one smuggling a Flare in in his under crackers.

Matt Hancock would have had 2 cans of Cider outside pre loading and passed out.

No chance Festivals are going to happen.

Edited by Hirstys 12th Pint

9 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

No chance Festivals are going to happen.

I can see a few late Live Nation/Festival Republic  events maybe going ahead. Melvin Benn seems to be creeping up the politicians arses. Live Nation also have their own little bubble within the industry that don't rely as much on freelancers and third parties. 

At some point they'll have to test these events and see how/if the virus spreads at outdoor festivals. They doing it with some half arsed Blossoms event in Liverpool. Organisers may try to hang on to see the outcome of that, but I'd guess that could be months off to see the research and results. 

It makes sense for day events to be more likely than camping events. 

Edited by JBarbour

I did some rough maths on that blossoms gig. These are just quick figures pulled from google

Liverpool currently has a rate of infection at 17 in 100,000
So 0.68 people at the event (4000 capacity) will have covid

Lateral flow tests have a false positive rate around 1 in 1000
So 4 people will wrongly be flagged as having covid

This means that if you get a positive result its 6 times more likely to be a false positive than that you have covid

What it also means is that its pretty unlikely to be a big superspreader event.  I guess the biggest issue is that gig/festival goers have a low average age so the percentage vaccinated will be low.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Adster said:

I did some rough maths on that blossoms gig. These are just quick figures pulled from google

Liverpool currently has a rate of infection at 17 in 100,000
So 0.68 people at the event (4000 capacity) will have covid

Lateral flow tests have a false positive rate around 1 in 1000
So 4 people will wrongly be flagged as having covid

This means that if you get a positive result its 6 times more likely to be a false positive than that you have covid

What it also means is that its pretty unlikely to be a big superspreader event.  I guess the biggest issue is that gig/festival goers have a low average age so the percentage vaccinated will be low.

Get the fuck out of here with your logic and reasoning 😉

• Like 1

Isn't Tramlines in a different position to the y nots of the world in not having to set up as much or take over as much land? Surely there's a distinction to be made between real festivals and essentially day gigs like this? Logically you'd think their "go or no go" date would be a bit later or have I got that completely wrong? 

What I mean is - is there a chance Tramlines can wait for the results of this May test to at least see if they're then allowed to go ahead (or at least if insurance decisions are made at that point) as technically while we call it a festival it really isn't 

I also think this Sefton Park gig being in a tent is an interesting one - it could be that the scientists have decided that outdoor is fine, but with festivals all using indoor stages that this is the bit they'd be worried about? I'd have expected fully outdoor test first then a partially indoor one. Can only hope...

15 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Isn't Tramlines in a different position to the y nots of the world in not having to set up as much or take over as much land? Surely there's a distinction to be made between real festivals and essentially day gigs like this? Logically you'd think their "go or no go" date would be a bit later or have I got that completely wrong? 

What I mean is - is there a chance Tramlines can wait for the results of this May test to at least see if they're then allowed to go ahead (or at least if insurance decisions are made at that point) as technically while we call it a festival it really isn't 

I also think this Sefton Park gig being in a tent is an interesting one - it could be that the scientists have decided that outdoor is fine, but with festivals all using indoor stages that this is the bit they'd be worried about? I'd have expected fully outdoor test first then a partially indoor one. Can only hope...

Tramlines could well be in a better position than camping events and it would be easy for them to adjust to a few big outdoor stages and no tented stages. 

Issues such as the public transport that's widely used to get to and from the site weighs against them though. 

I'm hoping the organisers don't throw in the towel too early and consider doing a day event or two, a scaled back version. Not sure how that would work with full priced tickets, maybe a voucher for next year. They could also use the fringe events more in the city centre, like Tramlines of old. 

Edited by JBarbour

4 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

Tramlines could well be in a better position than camping events and it would be easy for them to adjust to a few big outdoor stages and no tented stages. 

Issues such as the public transport that's widely used to get to and from the site though weighs against them. 

I'm hoping the organisers don't throw in the towel too early and consider doing a day event or two, a scaled back version. Not sure how that would work with full priced tickets, maybe a voucher for next year. They could also use the fringe events more in the city centre, like Tramlines of old. 

If that's where it ends up I'd be tempted to go over for that -so far have camping stuff only booked but if they go then it'll be a hunt for day events. Tramlines is definitely an option as the music is always along the lines of what I like / similar to kendal which would have to be cancelled for this to be an option financially anyway

Edited by efcfanwirral

7 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

If that's where it ends up I'd be tempted to go over for that -so far have camping stuff only booked but if they go then it'll be a hunt for day events. Tramlines is definitely an option as the music is always along the lines of what I like / similar to kendal which would have to be cancelled for this to be an option financially anyway

I think Tramlines has more options than a camping festival. The trouble is the events decision makers aren't local anymore so probably have no interest in scaled back or the fringe events that made Tramlines. 

If the festival gets cancelled but pubs and venues can operate as normal I think the city will see an unofficial fringe event with the backing of the council.  

Edited by JBarbour

1 hour ago, sameimpala said:

Not saying they'd be to everyone's taste/hopes but Kaiser Chiefs did an arena tour including the O2 last time, yorkshire band too could be ideal Sunday Tramlines size..

They subbed ynot a few years back so would be surprised and disappointed if they played any higher than that at tramlines. Would take them as a sub tho

6 hours ago, sameimpala said:

Not saying they'd be to everyone's taste/hopes but Kaiser Chiefs did an arena tour including the O2 last time, yorkshire band too could be ideal Sunday Tramlines size..

All 3 headliners have been mentioned in this thread already. So won’t be them. But I’d take them. Got enough hits for it to worthwhile. 

2 minutes ago, BlackFoxx said:

Shared acts with R + L and they've got priority to announce first? Wolf Alice?

If that’s the case, please be Sam Fender, but seems unlikely as haven’t been mentioned in the thread before.

Wolf Alice aren’t anywhere else though, and thought the headliner would be a mix of other festivals. Maybe someone lower down? 

15 minutes ago, Samjones said:

The people on leeds lineup I could only see tramlines being postponed for would be wolf alice, sam fender or the wombats. Don’t really see why a less significant act at leeds would stop announcement of tramlines 

Wombats have been on the Leeds lineup since first announcement so not them.