Tramlines 2021 and Hillsborough Gigs

JBarbour

41 minutes ago, James179 said:

Wouldn’t be too sure on Reverend, I remember he tweeted when the lineup came out saying he couldn’t do it every year and was taking a break.

Although with the year they missed it could count as the break.

With how expensive the festival has gotten now (£140 for tickets currently) you’d hope they have a bigger band than Reverend headlining. As much as I like them wouldn’t say they’re headlining material.

Completely agree would be an terrible headliner booking, but the Tramlines following on social media seems to adore them so wouldn’t be shocked if at some point the organisers take a punt on them. Would be insanely cheap as well, and reckoned they’d be well up for it. 

10 minutes ago, thatTFBguy said:

1975 are WAY too big to headline a festival like Tramline, same with Foals.

Foals were booked to headline smaller festivals than Tramlines in both 2019 and 2020. What's changed?

19 minutes ago, thatTFBguy said:

Completely agree would be an terrible headliner booking, but the Tramlines following on social media seems to adore them so wouldn’t be shocked if at some point the organisers take a punt on them. Would be insanely cheap as well, and reckoned they’d be well up for it. 

i dont think a few tweets from a few fan boys on twitter will persuade tramlines that Reverend are big enough to headline. Also with JBarbour, the man in the know, saying it'd be a bigger act than catfish. considering catfish are headlining R+L, albeit with the new '6 headliners' option. i dont think it leaves many artists big enough other than Foals?  seeing as the 1975 cancelled their own show this summer in london a few weeks back i doubt theyd be playing festivals, but may be wrong

44 minutes ago, thatTFBguy said:

1975 are WAY too big to headline a festival like Tramline, same with Foals.

1975 were booked for boardmasters last year which isn’t much bigger than tramlines while foals played this is tomorrow in Newcastle and ynot which are both similar sizes to tramlines

15 minutes ago, Samjones said:

1975 were booked for boardmasters last year which isn’t much bigger than tramlines while foals played this is tomorrow in Newcastle and ynot which are both similar sizes to tramlines

Maybe I’m wrong about the size of Foals, but 1975 are too big for Tramlines. They’re R+L headliner level, Tramlines is headlined by subs at best.

2 minutes ago, thatTFBguy said:

Maybe I’m wrong about the size of Foals, but 1975 are too big for Tramlines. They’re R+L headliner level, Tramlines is headlined by subs at best.

Think they fancy headlining Glasto too so may hold off too many festival appearances prior to this

3 hours ago, foolee said:

Primal Scream, Stereophonics and Richard Ashcroft could be in the running too I'd expect. Not sure if Primal Scream are big enough though and Stereophonics probably did it too recently. 

Primal scream played second top at neighbourhood in 2019, and I'd say Tramlines is similar size. I wouldn't put them as bigger than Manics nowadays so I reckon they could sub or even do the Doves slot on second stage 

52 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Primal scream played second top at neighbourhood in 2019, and I'd say Tramlines is similar size. I wouldn't put them as bigger than Manics nowadays so I reckon they could sub or even do the Doves slot on second stage 

Primal Scream have headlined Tramlines (pre Hillsborough relocation) in 2017 I think it was. 

Edited by JBarbour

3 hours ago, James179 said:

Wonder when we can expect an official lineup announcement on this. 
Would expect it to be soon to take advantage of everyone making bookings for the summer now it’s looking likely to go ahead.

By the end of this month, if its going ahead. Everything is still up in the air at the moment.

I don't think organisers are being entirely honest with ticket holders/buyers. I'm not talking just Tramlines here. They know its still 50/50 with events happening, mid to late August onwards events have a better chance. 

Edited by JBarbour
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Surely its bigger than them now though? 

The festival is kinda bigger, it was a different format pre Hillsborough. Back then it was a mixture of parks and indoor venues. The main stage capacity can probably be considered bigger.

Although I wouldn't say its out of the way for them to headline it, they maybe sit between an Ian Brown/Noel Gallagher and Madness crowd. 

I'm not saying they are or are not headlining, before I get quoted by the way 😄

23 minutes ago, James179 said:

They seem a bit more active on social media, wonder if it’s building up to an announcement soon.

Not yet. Just building some interest. They are still in limbo at the moment, much like most events and playing it on the cautious side. 

3 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

Not yet. Just building some interest. They are still in limbo at the moment, much like most events and playing it on the cautious side. 

Surely they’ve got just as much clarity as anyone else? The roadmap has been laid out, and by the current plan Tramlines can happen. 

unless you’re saying that every single festival including the likes of R+L are also in limbo and playing it cautious? 

Obviously tramlines is earlier but I don’t get how an August festival has clarity but a July one doesn’t when they’ve both been given the same lockdown roadmap? 

Just now, thatTFBguy said:

Surely they’ve got just as much clarity as anyone else? The roadmap has been laid out, and by the current plan Tramlines can happen. 

unless you’re saying that every single festival including the likes of R+L are also in limbo and playing it cautious? 

Obviously tramlines is earlier but I don’t get how an August festival has clarity but a July one doesn’t when they’ve both been given the same lockdown roadmap? 

It's a road map but the dates are the earliest things can come out of lockdown not the latest. They are not set in stone. 

No organisers can confidently say their events will happen this year. They can plan for the events, doesn't mean it will happen. 

10 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

Yeah that’s understandable, even with the roadmap it seems a little optimistic to think we’re 3 months away from normality.

Do you know if they have the option to have the festival later in the summer? Or are they quite limited by the council and logistics for the current date.

13 minutes ago, James179 said:

Do you know if they have the option to have the festival later in the summer? Or are they quite limited by the council and logistics for the current date.

It's possible to move the dates, I think the licence is for a Fri, Sat, Sun in summer months, as long as they give 3 months notice. Saying that I'm not sure if anything like that will be discussed. The logistics of Tramlines also ties in with Truck and Kendal for the most part. 

Edited by JBarbour

15 hours ago, JBarbour said:

It's a road map but the dates are the earliest things can come out of lockdown not the latest. They are not set in stone. 

No organisers can confidently say their events will happen this year. They can plan for the events, doesn't mean it will happen. 

I mean, I don’t disagree. It’s obviously just a roadmap, that could well change.

In fact personally I think there is almost zero chance any sort of festival will happen this year. 

However I still don’t under why this problem would prevent Tramlines from giving a lineup announcement.

Unless they’re waiting for a cast iron guarantee that the festival can go ahead, in which cast we’ll not get details till maybe the morning of. 

4 minutes ago, thatTFBguy said:

I mean, I don’t disagree. It’s obviously just a roadmap, that could well change.

In fact personally I think there is almost zero chance any sort of festival will happen this year. 

However I still don’t under why this problem would prevent Tramlines from giving a lineup announcement.

Unless they’re waiting for a cast iron guarantee that the festival can go ahead, in which cast we’ll not get details till maybe the morning of. 

They have a solid line up and are nearly sold out so I don't think there is a rush to announce anything at the moment. If they announce a line up and cancel less than a month later, its pointless. They are carrying over a chunk of the line up, but there are changes from last years announcement. They will also have some acts, managers and agents maybe wanting to hang tight with announcements, it's not always the festival and organisers that hold up line ups a lot depends on when acts can/want to be announced.  

I get ticket holders wanting the line up and other festivals have put out announcements 

15 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

They have a solid line up and are nearly sold out so I don't think there is a rush to announce anything at the moment. If they announce a line up and cancel less than a month later, its pointless. They are carrying over a chunk of the line up, but there are changes from last years announcement. They will also have some acts, managers and agents maybe wanting to hang tight with announcements, it's not always the festival and organisers that hold up line ups a lot depends on when acts can/want to be announced.  

I get ticket holders wanting the line up and other festivals have put out announcements 

To be honest, that all makes a lot of sense. Suppose it’s easy as a punter to just want the lineup without considering the inner working!