Socially Distanced Gigs

Dancers Stand Very Still

On 9/7/2020 at 4:17 PM, zahidf said:

Has Baxter Dury pulled out of this?

Still listed on the ents 24 page but no longer on the list when you go through to Ticketweb or on the official Jazz Cafe events page.

I know it's for a good cause and all but I've bought tix primarily for him and now it's not clear if he's actually playing or not?

1 hour ago, FakeEmpire said:

Has Baxter Dury pulled out of this?

Still listed on the ents 24 page but no longer on the list when you go through to Ticketweb or on the official Jazz Cafe events page.

I know it's for a good cause and all but I've bought tix primarily for him and now it's not clear if he's actually playing or not?

It says on the page linked *Please note: Baxter Dury is no longer performing at this event.*

That's not good so close to it being announced in the first place. Nearly went for tickets myself based on him playing.

11 minutes ago, cdm22 said:

It says on the page linked *Please note: Baxter Dury is no longer performing at this event.*

That's not good so close to it being announced in the first place. Nearly went for tickets myself based on him playing.

Yes, they've just added that because I emailed them. They said he was never playing and the original listings must have been a mistake.  Very odd and quite frustrating for those of us who booked tickets for that reason.

52 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

Yes, they've just added that because I emailed them. They said he was never playing and the original listings must have been a mistake.  Very odd and quite frustrating for those of us who booked tickets for that reason.

That's out of order. He was quite clearly down to headline the night across multiple listings and websites. Just seen he's now been replaced by Bill Ryder-Jones. I'd definitely want my money back!

1 hour ago, JHad said:

That's out of order. He was quite clearly down to headline the night across multiple listings and websites. Just seen he's now been replaced by Bill Ryder-Jones. I'd definitely want my money back!

I agree this is pretty bad and anyone who booked tickets for Baxter need to get their money back but Bill Ryder-Jones’ solo stuff is really, really good. Well worth a listen if you haven’t heard it yet - VERY different to The Coral.

17 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

I agree this is pretty bad and anyone who booked tickets for Baxter need to get their money back but Bill Ryder-Jones’ solo stuff is really, really good. Well worth a listen if you haven’t heard it yet - VERY different to The Coral.

I think it's pretty good on record too, but I've seen him live twice and have been very disappointed. 

18 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Jazz Cafe have offered a refund but I'm so desperate for live music I think I'll stick with it anyway.

I love Orlando Weeks' solo record, one of the albums of the year for me. Have tickets to see him next year so wouldn't have purchased just for him but I'll take it. What I know of Bill's stuff is OK. They've added Jack Penate now too which is alright.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Got my first brixton windmill one tonight, sinead o brien

Enjoy! :). I was absolutely gutted to miss out on a ticket for that one.

I notice their announcements have dried up a little. Keen to know how they're dealing with the new restrictions - I was told there last week that there would be changes, but that the gigs would keep going. I believe they might be signing people in now?

1 hour ago, JHad said:

Enjoy! :). I was absolutely gutted to miss out on a ticket for that one.

I notice their announcements have dried up a little. Keen to know how they're dealing with the new restrictions - I was told there last week that there would be changes, but that the gigs would keep going. I believe they might be signing people in now?

Yeah signing people in basically 

I went to a socially distanced festival on the weekend, and although you were meant to stay in your marked out areas, you could still basically move around and join other pens, as long as there was not more than 6 already in it, and security did not notice.

Security were a fearsome bunch however, and there was a steady stream of people getting kicked out across the day, which led to some ugly, yet funny punch ups.

I doubt these will happen again now restrictions have been tightened, and anyone who thinks Glastonbury will be on next year is fabulously deluded. 

• Downvote 1

Brighton Dome hosting a series of gigs in collaboration with other Brighton venues over 4  nights showcasing local talent. Each night has 4 bands playing, tix £15 for up to 250 attendees, or £3 for live streaming, on sale from Thu.

https://brightondome.org/news_blog/live_is_alive/

Sat 17 Oct 2020
West African fusion, funk, ska, electropop - an off-the-wall ode to Brighton’s cultural diversity and next-level underground talent.

Sat 24 Oct 2020
Wrap your ears around a night of dramatic grunge punk from Brighton’s indie underground scene.

Sat 31 Oct 2020
A night of pungent power-punk presented by The Green Door Store and the Music Venue Alliance Brighton.

Sat 7 Nov 2020
A laid-back evening of subtle moves and tight grooves from jazz, soul, reggae and ska.

Haven't decided yet whether I'll go as the infection risk is still too high for my liking, but may well stream and drop a donation to their crowdfunder as well.