Currently in Somerset, any idea where I can see the Pyramid stage from

Helsbels

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Yep the Crown is so nice now. Real festival garden feel. The new landlord and landlady are have nailed it.

Will make a point of visiting next time we are down, hopefully doing the crossways before Xmas. It’s been shut when we we’ve been in the area since the first lockdown.  It sounds really nice. 

32 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Will make a point of visiting next time we are down, hopefully doing the crossways before Xmas. It’s been shut when we we’ve been in the area since the first lockdown.  It sounds really nice. 

They are closing again in the next few weeks to do a complete refurb of the interior. They haven’t set a closing date as they were going to keep going until the weather changes and people were less likely to want to be in the garden.

they don’t know how hardy us piltonians are.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

They are closing again in the next few weeks to do a complete refurb of the interior. They haven’t set a closing date as they were going to keep going until the weather changes and people were less likely to want to be in the garden.

they don’t know how hardy us piltonians are.

Ok, I will rely on you for regular progress reports on the refurb!  I enjoyed the old garden area with its wasps and  wobbly tables. Looking forward to seeing what they have done with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Not quite Pilton but I'm going to Frome in a few weeks. Any of you got recommendations? Ideally somewhere nice to eat, and nice cheap things to do

Bloody hell GGM , think I’m gonna take up bar work … time off , loads of gigs 😂I’m in the wrong job !! 

12 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Not quite Pilton but I'm going to Frome in a few weeks. Any of you got recommendations? Ideally somewhere nice to eat, and nice cheap things to do

Great stuff.....here's a bit of a an eating/drinking list for you....

'Eight Stony Street' for good lunch/dinner/wine shop

'Bistro Lotte' also for good quality buzzy French lunch/dinner (super galettes).  She also now has Bar Lotte just round the corner which does good cocktails and bar food, sharing plates etc. Top end of town up Catherine Hill towards Badcox....10 minute amble at most though.

'Fat Radish' in the high street is also very good although a little pricey.  They often do theme nights and taster menus.

'The High Pavement' on Palmer St is great for Tapas.  Very casual and very popular.

'Jhalmuri' also on Palmer St is the best Indian in town.

'Castello' again on Palmer St is good for Italian.  Also very casual.  Good service.  Very popular.

'The Archangel' on King St....reasonably upmarket bar/restaurant/hotel with nice rooms. One of the only places in middle of town with a nice outside space.  Buzzy in the evening particularly at weekends.

'The George Hotel'......traditional market town pub/hotel in the middle of town.  Decent pub grub, Wadworth ales and rooms.  

'The Three Swans' on King St.....prob best pub in town centre.....good crowd, dogs, kids etc.

'Brewed Boy' on Cork St.....small but good craft ale place.....tiny outdoor space at back but popular.

'Palmer St Bottle' on Palmer St......another good craft ale spot with decent grub too.

'The Garden Cafe'.....popular veggie/vegan spot on Stony St

'Moo & Two'.....hipster cafe with artisan coffee and cakes half way up Catherine Hill on right.

'Grain Bar'.....cafe and bar with outside terrace space at the famous Cheese & Grain.

Things to do......Pilton is an 8 mile drive to the West so an amble round the lanes trying to spot bins and the Pyramid is a must.  Nunney village just 2 miles out of town has its own castle which is worth a visit (the George Hotel there does decent grub too...).  Mells village is also only 3 miles from town.....very pretty village with a lovely church with historic graves (Siegfried Sassoon, and various Bonham-Carters are buried here) and the Talbot Inn is very nice.

Got a meeting now but I'll post more later.....if you need it!

Hope you have a super time......oh and if you are here the first Sunday of Oct/Nov/Dec we have a great market all day where middle of town is closed off and there is craft, farmers market, vintage market, street food, live music etc.  Worth scheduling your visit for it.....known as the 'Frome Independent' market.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

'Bistro Lotte' also for good quality buzzy French lunch/dinner (super galettes).  She also now has Bar Lotte just round the corner which does good cocktails and bar food, sharing plates etc. Top end of town up Catherine Hill towards Badcox....10 minute amble at most though.

'Fat Radish' in the high street is also very good although a little pricey.  They often do theme nights and taster menus.

'The High Pavement' on Palmer St is great for Tapas.  Very casual and very popular.

'Castello' again on Palmer St is good for Italian.  Also very casual.  Good service.  Very popular.

'The Archangel' on King St....reasonably upmarket bar/restaurant/hotel with nice rooms. One of the only places in middle of town with a nice outside space.  Buzzy in the evening particularly at weekends.

'The George Hotel'......traditional market town pub/hotel in the middle of town.  Decent pub grub, Wadworth ales and rooms.  

'The Three Swans' on King St.....prob best pub in town centre.....good crowd, dogs, kids etc.

'Brewed Boy' on Cork St.....small but good craft ale place.....tiny outdoor space at back but popular.

'Palmer St Bottle' on Palmer St......another good craft ale spot with decent grub too.

'Moo & Two'.....hipster cafe with artisan coffee and cakes half way up Catherine Hill on right.

'Grain Bar'.....cafe and bar with outside terrace space at the famous Cheese & Grain.

Things to do......Pilton is an 8 mile drive to the West so an amble round the lanes trying to spot bins and the Pyramid is a must.  Nunney village just 2 miles out of town has its own castle which is worth a visit (the George Hotel there does decent grub too...).  Mells village is also only 3 miles from town.....very pretty village with a lovely church with historic graves (Siegfried Sassoon, and various Bonham-Carters are buried here) and the Talbot Inn is very nice.

Hope you have a super time......oh and if you are here the first Sunday of Oct/Nov/Dec we have a great market all day where middle of town is closed off and there is craft, farmers market, vintage market, street food, live music etc.  Worth scheduling your visit for it.....known as the 'Frome Independent' market.

You may gather that we love coming down to Somerset whenever we can but never visited Frome, but you’ve just convinced me it’s worth a visit !

39 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

He's convinced me to go for another day trip!! 

46 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

write up like that he should be working for tourist information 🙂 

He’s got me on google maps looking at the place. Searching for car parks, restaurants etc etc! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

You may gather that we love coming down to Somerset whenever we can but never visited Frome, but you’ve just convinced me it’s worth a visit !

Great...you'll be very welcome.  Lots of independent shopping too on Cheap Street, Stony Street and up Catherine Hill.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Just thought of 2 additions to this....

Flow Bar....on the bridge in town....cocktails etc...busy, loud etc

The Hydeaway....a new 'speakeasy styled bar hidden away behind a random door down a scruffy alley.  Cocktails, bar snacks....already getting great rep from the cool set (that's most of us here 😉)

• 2 weeks later...

Following on from my post - I took a drive to the Pilton Skatepark and saw the Pyramid! I did not see any signs warning us off due to Covid, so we took a stroll down the lane towards the stage. 3-4 tractors passed by us but nobody mentioned anything, and I could see 4-5 other walkers down by the stage and even a man on his morning jog through the site. So I assumed we were OK to proceed. 
It was so amazing being able to stand within the structure of the Pyramid and look out at the empty field. I've been to the festival just once before but this almost felt just as special. 

AND THE BEST PART WAS...... as we were driving down the lane towards Pilton, a red truck was blocking the single lane speaking to two locals. I pulled into the side of the road to allow the truck to pass, and to my disbelief it was a certain Mr. Eavis driving the truck. I was so shocked I could barely react, I just about managed to wave in and got a big smile in return. Some Saturday morning indeed!!! 😄 

55 minutes ago, Float said:

Following on from my post - I took a drive to the Pilton Skatepark and saw the Pyramid! I did not see any signs warning us off due to Covid, so we took a stroll down the lane towards the stage. 3-4 tractors passed by us but nobody mentioned anything, and I could see 4-5 other walkers down by the stage and even a man on his morning jog through the site. So I assumed we were OK to proceed. 
It was so amazing being able to stand within the structure of the Pyramid and look out at the empty field. I've been to the festival just once before but this almost felt just as special. 

AND THE BEST PART WAS...... as we were driving down the lane towards Pilton, a red truck was blocking the single lane speaking to two locals. I pulled into the side of the road to allow the truck to pass, and to my disbelief it was a certain Mr. Eavis driving the truck. I was so shocked I could barely react, I just about managed to wave in and got a big smile in return. Some Saturday morning indeed!!! 😄 

No big sign at Mary’s gate? 

33 minutes ago, Float said:

You were lucky. We were there last weekend - staying at Steanbow who said that as most of the festival land was theirs* we were welcome to go wherever. However much of it (including the Pyramid) was cordoned off. The railway line was blocked off at the Glade to stop us going into the Sacred Stones’ field which had workers in it. Maybe it was something to do with the fact that it was meant to have been the day of the One Day Gig. 
* I was amazed to hear that 52% of the festival (presumably including parking but I didn’t ask that at the time) was on Steanbow’s land including John Peel, Park, Other and the dance area. Puts them in a strong negotiating position I’d imagine!

I messaged the festival office a couple of weeks ago as we were due to be passing nearby and received the below response:-

"Thank you for your enquiry. Following government advice, and for the safety of those currently working on Worthy Farm and neighbouring farms, it’s really important to social distance as much as possible, so please respect that the farm is private land which is not open to the public.

You are welcome to walk on any public footpaths that are on site, we've attached a public footpath map which may be helpful. For the avoidance of doubt, the stone tracks across the site are not public, and the public footpath does not extend past the Festival offices."

2 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

The large 12 foot high one is still there.

Thought it would be, I would respect that. Had a good fix of the site when at Worthy pastures but withdrawal symptoms beginning to set in.  Hopefully an xmas visit to Somerset might help this! And a wee drink and meal  in the super duper new Crown!   

34 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Thought it would be, I would respect that. Had a good fix of the site when at Worthy pastures but withdrawal symptoms beginning to set in.  Hopefully an xmas visit to Somerset might help this! And a wee drink and meal  in the super duper new Crown!   

Unfortunately the Crown will close around the 10th October and will reopen after an extensive refurb inside, around March. That’s the plan at the moment. So no pub for Xmas. Luckily we have the Working Man’s Club within stumbling distance.

if the inside of the Crown has the same feel and quality food as the garden this summer, we are going to have a superb local.

1 minute ago, deebeedoobee said:

Unfortunately the Crown will close around the 10th October and will reopen after an extensive refurb inside, around March. That’s the plan at the moment. So no pub for Xmas. Luckily we have the Working Man’s Club within stumbling distance.

if the inside of the Crown has the same feel and quality food as the garden this summer, we are going to have a superb local.

Ta for that! Thought they might have wanted the refurb done in time for the Xmas festivities.  Sure it will be worth the wait. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 12:28 PM, idb said:

I messaged the festival office a couple of weeks ago as we were due to be passing nearby and received the below response:-

"Thank you for your enquiry. Following government advice, and for the safety of those currently working on Worthy Farm and neighbouring farms, it’s really important to social distance as much as possible, so please respect that the farm is private land which is not open to the public.

You are welcome to walk on any public footpaths that are on site, we've attached a public footpath map which may be helpful. For the avoidance of doubt, the stone tracks across the site are not public, and the public footpath does not extend past the Festival offices."

It's my daughter's 21st birthday this weekend and she has moved to Bath from my house in Manchester, she has been attending the festival with me since she was 9 years old so i wrote to Glastonbury to if i could take her for a walk around the festival site and got a lovely reply on similar lines to this welcoming me to visit but just on public footpaths.

Is there any parking anywhere as I'm driving from Manchester via Bath to surprise her. 

Thanks in advance

Chris 

39 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

It's my daughter's 21st birthday this weekend and she has moved to Bath from my house in Manchester, she has been attending the festival with me since she was 9 years old so i wrote to Glastonbury to if i could take her for a walk around the festival site and got a lovely reply on similar lines to this welcoming me to visit but just on public footpaths.

Is there any parking anywhere as I'm driving from Manchester via Bath to surprise her. 

Thanks in advance

Chris 

Hi Chris....given that your public footpath options are limited to the 2 on the map below I'd recommend parking where you can at the side of Pylle Lane near Mary's Gate and the skate park where there several places to do so safely.

Your walking options are then to either use the footpath along the edge of the playing field and across above the farm until you reach the barrier, or to walk East on Pylle Lane turning right onto Cockmill Lane down past Gate C and the Hill of Death all along the East Side of the site until you start to go uphill adjacent to ShangriLa on your right....although you'll then need to turn back and do it in reverse as it's a verrrrry long way to go all round the southern and Eastern perimeters. It's quite interesting though....several places to see through the hedgerow and spot piles of bins, and props from Unfairground etc.

The footpath on West Side from Gate A is of little interest tbh.  You get a view of the Pyramid across the fields but that's about it....unless tramping across Woodsies and Manor Ground float your boat that is.

Have a lovely day 🙂

Screenshot_20211011-184533_Chrome.jpg

5 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Hi Chris....given that your public footpath options are limited to the 2 on the map below I'd recommend parking where you can at the side of Pylle Lane near Mary's Gate and the skate park where there several places to do so safely.

Your walking options are then to either use the footpath along the edge of the playing field and across above the farm until you reach the barrier, or to walk East on Pylle Lane turning right onto Cockmill Lane down past Gate C and the Hill of Death all along the East Side of the site until you start to go uphill adjacent to ShangriLa on your right....although you'll then need to turn back and do it in reverse as it's a verrrrry long way to go all round the southern and Eastern perimeters. It's quite interesting though....several places to see through the hedgerow and spot piles of bins, and props from Unfairground etc.

The footpath on West Side from Gate A is of little interest tbh.  You get a view of the Pyramid across the fields but that's about it....unless tramping across Woodsies and Manor Ground float your boat that is.

Have a lovely day 🙂

Screenshot_20211011-184533_Chrome.jpg

Thank you very much. 

This is really helpful as don't want to upset any locals with parking and happy to respect the land and restrictions in place.