Football 2020/2021

zahidf

Its quite difficult to blame Kane when the service wasn't there.

I know its easy in hindsight but my thoughts were:

As I said last week Grealish changed the game vs Germany. The 5-2-3 only really started working well when we brought him on on the left and switched Sterling to the right. I know Mount has had a bit of stick on here but I think even Chelsea fans would admit the right side forward of the 3 probably isn't his position which he played last night.

Against Denmark I thought Holberg and Delaney looked relatively comfortable in midfield in the second half and Southgate didn't react. The game actually swung for me when Delaney went off injured at the end of full time. We got a soft penalty in extra time but Denmark looked dead on their feet and I guess had a bigger drop off on the bench so I think we would of created a chance anyway.

Mancini made changes at half time last night and as per Denmark Southgate didn't react until it was too late. I'd of had Grealish on sooner with Henderson and reverted to the formation vs Germany.

26 minutes ago, lost said:

Its quite difficult to blame Kane when the service wasn't there.

I know its easy in hindsight but my thoughts were:

As I said last week Grealish changed the game vs Germany. The 5-2-3 only really started working well when we brought him on on the left and switched Sterling to the right. I know Mount has had a bit of stick on here but I think even Chelsea fans would admit the right side forward of the 3 probably isn't his position which he played last night.

Against Denmark I thought Holberg and Delaney looked relatively comfortable in midfield in the second half and Southgate didn't react. The game actually swung for me when Delaney went off injured at the end of full time. We got a soft penalty in extra time but Denmark looked dead on their feet and I guess had a bigger drop off on the bench so I think we would of created a chance anyway.

Mancini made changes at half time last night and as per Denmark Southgate didn't react until it was too late. I'd of had Grealish on sooner with Henderson and reverted to the formation vs Germany.

Yh I said in the Euros thread Mount has been magnificent and I love the bloke but he didn’t play well last night, should’ve been Sancho or even Rashford for a bit of pace. I also think you have to back the players on the pitch to take pens, Hendo scores for me, Stones potentially scores for me as does Grealish and Phillips. Personally and I know it may sound silly but I’m glad Sterling didn’t take one, the Sun and the Daily Mail would have an absolute field day if he missed, obviously it’s not much consolation as there’s horrid abuse that I’m afraid may get worse but at least his legacy in this tournament can’t be tarnished like others even though should’nt be will. Saka was magnificent all tournament, Sancho was class against Ukraine and Rashford we all love for what he’s done for the country. It’s a tough one to take but hey

4 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Surely if your "best in the world" discussion you need to do it in the big games. Kane doesn't have that track record of performing in the biggest games of his career.

I’m not discussing other big games. I’ve never suggested Kane is in any best in the world discussion.

You suggested he bottled it last night. 

Last night Kane got fuck all service. Zilch. Nothing. England spent large parts of the game without the ball, and any width they might have had 50 yards further back than they needed to be to provide any width. 

How many chances did England create for Kane? How many chances did England create for Kane that he missed/bottled? 

After missing his last pen he stood up to take the first in the shoot out. And slotted it home. 

England lost and deservedly so. Kane bottled nothing. 

You’ve made something up to suit your own narrative. Poor darts. 

I have huge admiration to how the England players have reacted post defeat. It would have been easy to get swept up in a wave of nationalism and instead are using the platform to advocate for social change. Great to see they refuse to let Boris cash in in their popularity by refusing to go to Downing Street.

As a Welshman it's always been easy to dislike England with the likes of Terry, Gerrard, Rio and Rooney but struggling to see who can carry on their legacy, maybe Foden and Grealish have potential!

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Mad stat

Of Guardiola's 11 Champions League eliminations, 8 have seen decisive periods that were sudden collapses/flurries of goals conceded

2010 - 2 goals in 13 minutes

2014 - 3 in 18

2015 - 3 in 17

2017 - 2 in 8

2018- 3 in 19

2019- 2 in 3

2020- 2 in 8

2022- 3 in 6

4 hours ago, The Nal said:

Mad stat

Of Guardiola's 11 Champions League eliminations, 8 have seen decisive periods that were sudden collapses/flurries of goals conceded

2010 - 2 goals in 13 minutes

2014 - 3 in 18

2015 - 3 in 17

2017 - 2 in 8

2018- 3 in 19

2019- 2 in 3

2020- 2 in 8

2022- 3 in 6

I've been lambasted before for daring to suggest that Guardiola has underperformed at City and could/should have won more considering the resources at his disposal.

What's striking is the manner they keep losing, either through tactical blunders caused by overthinking things or by his teams losing their heads in key times as the stat above proves. He's been around long enough to have arrested this by now.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I've been lambasted before for daring to suggest that Guardiola has underperformed at City and could/should have won more considering the resources at his disposal.

Hes taken over 3 teams with world class players, some all time greats, all 3 teams league winners in the previous season or in the season or 2 before and has spent the 2nd most amount of money in football history on transfers. Odd legacy alright. 

Some managers get sacked for not winning the Champions League. 

13 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Hes taken over 3 teams with world class players, some all time greats, all 3 teams league winners in the previous season or in the season or 2 before and has spent the 2nd most amount of money in football history on transfers. Odd legacy alright. 

Some managers get sacked for not winning the Champions League. 

Obviously there's only one club each year that can win it, but it's more the manner they kept getting beaten that's interesting. Same mistakes every time.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Unfortunately opposition fans lap it up though as do the media and it pisses me off.

seems he is on NUFC still.

He's been an irrelevant whiny nuisance for nearly 10 years now. It was obnoxious while he was driving our club into the Championship while praising his own petty little ego, but just ignore him and his media buddies. He matters jack shit.

On 6/7/2022 at 9:04 PM, Ryan1984 said:

Does anyone actually care about the Nations League?

Yes 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿😀 Off to Dublin tomorrow. A great idea for the smaller countries as it replaces pointless friendlies.

If we win our group we’re guaranteed a play off for the next euros and it’s why we qualified for the last tournament after 2 decades.

12 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Yes 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿😀 Off to Dublin tomorrow. A great idea for the smaller countries as it replaces pointless friendlies.

If we win our group we’re guaranteed a play off for the next euros and it’s why we qualified for the last tournament after 2 decades.

In 2 minds about this. While it worked well for Wales last time, we have pretty much been forced to play second string team twice, so we will probably be relegated. Ultimately the relegation won't bother me, if relegation doesn't hurt, what value does the tournament have? I can't even remember who the current nations league champions are!!

I also worry it could increase gap between Europe and the rest (which has increased in recent years) as the non Europe teams have less opportunity to play European opposition.