Football 2020/2021

zahidf

Somehow managed to get tickets to England Germany yesterday, ecstatic after having my England Scotland ones cancelled. The atmosphere will surely be fantastic, even at half capacity.

Just got to hope the Covid test doesn't screw me over now...

Confirmed that away goals have now been scrapped in all UEFA competitions .. about time.
Although will ultimately lead to more games going to extra time and penalties, and there is now an bigger advantage to the teams who play the 2nd leg at home. 

2 hours ago, st dan said:

Confirmed that away goals have now been scrapped in all UEFA competitions .. about time.
Although will ultimately lead to more games going to extra time and penalties, and there is now an bigger advantage to the teams who play the 2nd leg at home. 

I quite like it as a quirk and would've kept it but maybe it's an idea whose time had come to be removed. But I still quite liked the idea I guess.

Its traditionally been a smaller competition than the world cup hasn't it? 

I can remember when Denmark won it there were 8 teams in two groups of 4, the semis, final and that was it.

1 hour ago, lost said:

Its traditionally been a smaller competition than the world cup hasn't it? 

I can remember when Denmark won it there were 8 teams in two groups of 4, the semis, final and that was it.

Yep that’s true, and we haven’t qualified for a fair few of them over the years too. But still, to have never won a single knockout game is quite an achievement!

1 hour ago, st dan said:

Yep that’s true, and we haven’t qualified for a fair few of them over the years too. But still, to have never won a single knockout game is quite an achievement!

I wasn't around then but wiki says we won the quarter finals against Spain in 1968 3 vs 1?

Lost to Yugoslavia in the semis and won the 3rd place payoff against USSR.

Maybe that stat is counting the knock outs as starting at the semis as 94.

Edited by lost

14 minutes ago, lost said:

I wasn't around then but wiki says we won the quarter finals against Spain in 1968 3 vs 1?

Yeah you’re right - I think it must be a technicality as the games vs Spain were over two legs. So it probably means a single knockout game like the tournament football we are familiar with now. (not quite as impressive now as when I heard it!!)

17 hours ago, lost said:

I think technically the Euros were only for the top 4 until 1980 but had a qualification play-off system, which counts for England both doing that in 1968 and losing in 1972 at the same stage.

England's record since Euro 1996 and at the Euros has been pretty ghastly anyway. Even if we're talking this way or that about what counts as the Euros and doesn't, you'd think a nation with the cash and resources available would've managed a knockout game win since that Spain shootout at Wembley.

25 minutes ago, charlierc said:

England's record since Euro 1996 and at the Euros has been pretty ghastly anyway. Even if we're talking this way or that about what counts as the Euros and doesn't, you'd think a nation with the cash and resources available would've managed a knockout game win since that Spain shootout at Wembley.

The Iceland result was a disgrace. That aside the FA tend to go with very safe managers apart from Keegan in 2000 when we were the complete opposite. We are team that play very to par and the minute we come up against say a Germany, Portugal or Italy we lose. We also tend to be terrible at penalties.

I also think as those resources come from the premiership we tend to prioritise it over international football.

Edited by lost

Great result for England. With a route of Ukraine, followed by Denmark or Czech Republic they're not gonna get a better chance to reach the final. All the other 3 favourites are on the other side of the draw. It's worked out perfectly for them.

EDIT: Having said that, my friend made a good point last night that it's in the games where they're favourites that they tend to struggle more. Will be interesting to see how they approach the games.

Edited by DareToDibble

30 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

my friend made a good point last night that it's in the games where they're favourites that they tend to struggle more

You say this, but I think England were definitely fairly clear favourites against Sweden in the Quarterfinal 3 years ago and that's one of the most low-stress, enjoyable England viewing experiences I can remember.

3 hours ago, waltere said:

You say this, but I think England were definitely fairly clear favourites against Sweden in the Quarterfinal 3 years ago and that's one of the most low-stress, enjoyable England viewing experiences I can remember.

Completely agree. We were off to the Cure at Hyde Park and had no issue with shooting 10 mins before the end to catch Goldrapp as it was so calm and clearly the result was in the bag.

40 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Forget the England game. Surely the football news of the day is Wrexhams TikTok shirt sponsorship announcement!

Is that in association with Deadpool?