Football 2020/2021

zahidf

5 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

On that basis shouldnt several Scottish players be isolating as a precaution. What I'm struggling with is the science why a couple of English players are more likely to catch it than Scottish players, or is it just England being more cautious?

Yeah it’s all a bit bonkers and worrying for both teams. My main point was that the English lads are not in a 10 day isolating situation. It’s a precaution. Scotland don’t seem to have went down that road although they did prior to our last build up game few weeks back.

12 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Disappointed for Wales to get Denmark, that dream Finland game was so close!

I am gutted for Finland, but I think everyone is incredibly happy that Denmark got through, shows the amount of character that squad has. It’s certainly a trickier game, but the way Wales played against Turkey and they have a decent chance, it can go either way really very hard to call

11 hours ago, eastynh said:

No chance City offered those players. 

Supposedly they did, I already knew Sterling was rumoured to be looking to be offloaded. Laporte is an interesting one as I’ve said, and Jesus is obviously one striker for another sort of thing. I think it’ll take about £120-£150 million to get Levy agreeing

12 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Not forgetting the fact that in the game these players are often right next to each other.

Disappointed for Wales to get Denmark, that dream Finland game was so close!

I was thinking about that, Wales being the bad guys if they win is something they very rarely have to contend with

Mount and Chilwell must isolate up to and including Mon 28 Jun... Meaning they will be available for the round of 16 if England finish 1st and play 2nd in Group F on Tue 29 but not if they finish 2nd as the game will be on Mon 28. Not sure about if we finish 3rd. If they are training away from the squad I don't think either would make the team anyway.

What a farce.

19 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Mount and Chilwell must isolate up to and including Mon 28 Jun... Meaning they will be available for the round of 16 if England finish 1st and play 2nd in Group F on Tue 29 but not if they finish 2nd as the game will be on Mon 28. Not sure about if we finish 3rd. If they are training away from the squad I don't think either would make the team anyway.

What a farce.

They will be available but are they training in that time? What does isolate mean in that sense? If they are having to stay in their homes or in a hotel room for a week they're not exactly going to be match fit are they? Does St Gorges Park have space for them to train independently? 

*edit* apparently they will be training independently of the team

Edited by TalkShow Bob

15 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think I made the right decision watching the Scotland match which was a pretty good game. Croatia deserved to win and over the 3 games Scotland probably didn't deserve to progress. I am just glad they didn't end up the only team not to score!

Decent summary. Modric was different class. Great to be part of the tournament after a long lay off. Managed to get tickets for the first game and thought we played well at Wembley but schooled tonight.

Clarke has done well and hopefully we can keep progressing. Some decent young players coming through.

6 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Decent summary. Modric was different class. Great to be part of the tournament after a long lay off. Managed to get tickets for the first game and thought we played well at Wembley but schooled tonight.

Clarke has done well and hopefully we can keep progressing. Some decent young players coming through.

It's easy to blame the forwards, but to me Scotland central midfield hasnt done well enough particularly in the 2 games they lost. Also don't know much about O'Donnell but he has looked a bit out of his depth to me.

However Scotland look a nation on the way up to me, hopefully some of these young players come through.

1 minute ago, st dan said:

3496B910-5776-4C48-905A-40ADB97A0D4F.thumb.jpeg.093fc94aebbbc2cfb0e6af67ea412837.jpeg

Looking at the table in Group F, am I right in thinking that the only possible way that Portugal can finish 2nd is if Hungary beat Germany, and Portugal draw with France? Which I guess is highly unlikely. 

I think so. Most likely is Germany next week after they and France win tonight?

Just now, Ryan1984 said:

I think so. Most likely is Germany next week after they and France win tonight?

Yeah I guess so, although i can see Portugal getting a draw tonight, which would then see us facing France.
Not sure which is the more ‘winnable’ game for us given the way we’re playing, but there are obviously other factors in play at tournament knockout football against either one of our two biggest rivals. 

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I don't know why England fans seem so stressed, 7 points and no goals conceded. In terms of group that's job done.

Gary Neville got it spot on after the match when he said if Germany or Spain had qualified in that way, we’d have all been saying they’re quietly and efficiently getting on with the job in hand.

2 hours ago, st dan said:

3496B910-5776-4C48-905A-40ADB97A0D4F.thumb.jpeg.093fc94aebbbc2cfb0e6af67ea412837.jpeg

Looking at the table in Group F, am I right in thinking that the only possible way that Portugal can finish 2nd is if Hungary beat Germany, and Portugal draw with France? Which I guess is highly unlikely. 

If Portugal beat France and Germany beat Hungary, Portugal would finish second as well....which I don't think is too unlikely....can see the France / Portugal game going either way.

5 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Gary Neville got it spot on after the match when he said if Germany or Spain had qualified in that way, we’d have all been saying they’re quietly and efficiently getting on with the job in hand.

I think the teams will try hard to avoid the match. However whoever wins in the last 16 England match will almost be guaranteed a semi final place.

I like Martin Dubravka at Newcastle - can make errors but usually a very solid keeper who is more consistent than some others. But his mistake against Spain in the Euros last night for their first goal was just painful, and he just lost his head from there. Shame.

The Group F games were gloriously chaotic. Very entertaining stuff.

Looking at how it played out, there was no easy R16 draw for England really. Second would get Spain, who seem to have finally woken up, while third was either Belgium or the Netherlands, who both have 100% records (if both have questions over their defences).

I guess there's the historical question mark over England's piss poor record against the Germans in the big tournaments since 1966 but this is a really erratic German side so it shouldn't be seen as an impossible conquest.