Football 2020/2021

zahidf

On 6/17/2021 at 11:40 AM, lost said:

Gattuso just became available. Go on Everton you know you want to. We've definitely got too much malakia

Was quite something to see him briefly linked with Spurs and then near immediately dropped from contention.

I swear Spurs are making an absolute meal of choosing their new manager, so much so that it obscures Everton, Crystal Palace and West Brom still waiting on their new gaffers.

19 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Wales won the group, so not amazing. Conceded an injury time equaliser to Russia, came from behind to beat the Welsh, 0-0 draw with Slovakia after picking the reserves. But I guess everything at Euro 2016 for England is overshadowed by the astonishingly inept display against Iceland in the knockout round.

I asked what the previous champions were like. I don’t think England won in 2016!

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I asked what the previous champions were like. I don’t think England won in 2016!

Ah yes. That's on me for not reading it properly so woopsy-doodle. Nevermind 🙃

But yes it's true tbf that England have already got more points than Portugal got from the entire Euro 2016 group stage. I also think Spain got 4/6 from their first two games at Euro 2012 and same with Greece at Euro 2004. Plus it's more points than England got from Euro 1980, 1988, 1992 and 2000 on their way to group stage exits. So there's that.

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

What were the previous champions performances like in the group stage in 2016?

You make a fair point, Portugal won one game in normal time throughout the whole tournament and that was their Semi Final. I just don’t see us doing anything close to that, Portugal had to play Croatia, Poland, Wales before the final. Worse case scenario we have to play France/Portugal, Spain, Holland. It’s rather more intimidating for us 

19 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

You make a fair point, Portugal won one game in normal time throughout the whole tournament and that was their Semi Final. I just don’t see us doing anything close to that, Portugal had to play Croatia, Poland, Wales before the final. Worse case scenario we have to play France/Portugal, Spain, Holland. It’s rather more intimidating for us 

It's a harder route undoubtedly. However I think once the groups finish it's a whole new tournament. The Euros doesnt decide the best team in Europe, just the team that is successful in coming through the format in a particular year, therefore several teams who could win of varying quality.

I think in some respects a lowering of expectation could benefit England. The higher expectations before the tournament started and after the Croatia game didn't really have any evidence to back then up 

21 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

It's a harder route undoubtedly. However I think once the groups finish it's a whole new tournament. The Euros doesnt decide the best team in Europe, just the team that is successful in coming through the format in a particular year, therefore several teams who could win of varying quality.

I think in some respects a lowering of expectation could benefit England. The higher expectations before the tournament started and after the Croatia game didn't really have any evidence to back then up 

I guess it can go both ways. I don't remember expectations being that high for England before the 2014 World Cup and Euro 2016, and both ended up as utter failures. Then came the fact expectations were very low for Russia 2018 and it ended up being England's best tournament in a very long time.

I can agree with that sentiment as it did feel like expectations shot up again in the wake of the Croatia game, overlooking the fact Croatia have gone backwards since that tournament. The format means England are basically through with the 4 points - admittedly coming the wrong way round to how I thought they'd come - but I guess some people really just put too much emotional heft on thumping the Scots and thinking England just needed to turn up for it to be guaranteed.

So … England playing for a draw makes total sense tomorrow doesn’t it? Do we think it’s something that Southgate is considering?
I see no way of us beating France/Germany/Portugal in the next round, so if we can manipulate the group to finish 2nd then that’s the logical choice isn’t it?

12 minutes ago, st dan said:

So … England playing for a draw makes total sense tomorrow doesn’t it? Do we think it’s something that Southgate is considering?
I see no way of us beating France/Germany/Portugal in the next round, so if we can manipulate the group to finish 2nd then that’s the logical choice isn’t it?

That might well end up giving you Spain in the next round which although probably easier than 2nd Group F it then leaves you on the harder side of the draw. Playing for a draw is a nonsense and if you do I hope the Czech's nick a goal. 

25 minutes ago, st dan said:

There's absolutely nothing logical about it at all.

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

There's absolutely nothing logical about it at all.

There must be some in terms of progression to the quarter finals, surely?

Right now you’d say that we are very unlikely to beat any of France/Germany/Portugal, but we’d be favourites against Sweden/Poland/Slovakia, and also probably a pretty average Spain side.

Yes it would mean entering the more difficult side of the draw, but that means nothing if we go crashing out in the last 16. 

I’m not advocating it’s something we should be doing, but I’m wouldn’t be surprised if it’s in the back of Southgate’s mind somewhere. 

1 hour ago, st dan said:

There must be some in terms of progression to the quarter finals, surely?

Right now you’d say that we are very unlikely to beat any of France/Germany/Portugal, but we’d be favourites against Sweden/Poland/Slovakia, and also probably a pretty average Spain side.

Yes it would mean entering the more difficult side of the draw, but that means nothing if we go crashing out in the last 16. 

I’m not advocating it’s something we should be doing, but I’m wouldn’t be surprised if it’s in the back of Southgate’s mind somewhere. 

We were favourites against Scotland. We should focus on beating what is infront of us before we even think about facing a team like France.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

They absolutely will turn it down though, won't they...

According to Romano, Levy isn’t selling and hopes the situation can be sorted between the club and Kane. Interesting that Sterling, Jesus and Laporte were thought to all be offered in the deal. They’re all worth in excess of £40m in today’s market surely, so that’s a very good deal 

55 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

According to Romano, Levy isn’t selling and hopes the situation can be sorted between the club and Kane. Interesting that Sterling, Jesus and Laporte were thought to all be offered in the deal. They’re all worth in excess of £40m in today’s market surely, so that’s a very good deal 

Why would they sell Laporte?

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I'm confused how has Gilmour been in closer contact with Chlwell and Mount than his own teammates?

I’m guessing their long cuddle and embrace at the end of the match? Would that be that different to getting transport with your team mates though?

4 hours ago, thetime said:

Why would they sell Laporte?

They have Stones and Dias, I wouldn’t understand either especially as they let Garcia go to Barca

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

I’m guessing their long cuddle and embrace at the end of the match? Would that be that different to getting transport with your team mates though?

and a changing room and showers andtraining  facilities and probably a hotel

5 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

No chance City offered those players. 

4 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I'm confused how has Gilmour been in closer contact with Chlwell and Mount than his own teammates?

Are the English lads not only a temporary precaution. On the off chance they have it, they won’t want the rest of the squad to be at risk.

Both squads all tested negative today but tomorrow......who knows.

Think you are required to give UEFA test results 48 hours before the game so that’s been done.

11 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Are the English lads not only a temporary precaution. On the off chance they have it, they won’t want the rest of the squad to be at risk.

On that basis shouldnt several Scottish players be isolating as a precaution. What I'm struggling with is the science why a couple of English players are more likely to catch it than Scottish players, or is it just England being more cautious?