Football 2020/2021

zahidf

Tricky hypothetical question time. 

If England beat Scotland this Friday we will be on course for finishing top of the group and will likely play France the next round. 

France are going to be unstoppable so would people accept a loss to Scotland to give England a slightly easier draw against Sweden or Slovakia in the next round?

20 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

If England beat Scotland this Friday we will be on course for finishing top of the group and will likely play France the next round. 

France are going to be unstoppable so would people accept a loss to Scotland to give England a slightly easier draw against Sweden or Slovakia in the next round?

What happens if you then lose to the Czechs?

48 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

If France are so unstoppable why would they be finishing second?

I hate talk of “easier runs”. We as a nation have an inferiority complex. If we’re serious about this then the likes of Germany, Portugal and yes even France need to be beaten sooner or later.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

L I wouldn't be surprised to see Bale and Ramsey rested on Sunday.

No I don’t think so, they’ll want to guarantee second and an easier draw, a repeat of today’s scores with the Swiss and Wales swapped means it will come down the fair play or something. At this point yoj even got to be thinking alphabetical order could come into it

3 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

No, the side we get if we win the group is easier after the RO16.

All of France/Portugal whoever wins the group, Italy and Belgium are on the side of 2nd place. After playing second in F, the other biggest challenge is potentially Spain or Holland who I’d be more confident against. You’ve got to beat the best teams to be the best. I’d rather we went out in the RO16 to France than go out in the semis to Poland or Denmark or someone which would inevitably happen

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’m pretty sure the people who talk about finishing second and easier runs are the same who dismiss the 2018 WC run because we “didn’t play anyone good”.

France would be tough but I see no reason why we couldn’t beat either Germany or Portugal in a one off match.

I think it's probably because over the last 20 odd years we have never looked capable of doing that at a major tournament.

7 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

No I don’t think so, they’ll want to guarantee second and an easier draw, a repeat of today’s scores with the Swiss and Wales swapped means it will come down the fair play or something. At this point yoj even got to be thinking alphabetical order could come into it

If Bale and Ramsey are not fit for the knockout game it won't matter who they play. The question is can they play 8 games in 3 days.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Important Euros question who would win a fight between all the managers? I think Wales would be in with a decent chance here, although Steve Clarke looks like he could handle himself!

I like to think Mancini definitely knows some people. If it’s a fist fight I think the Macedonian manager would be slept upon but yh Rob Page looks like he can throw a few

21 minutes ago, lost said:

Gattuso just became available. Go on Everton you know you want to. We've definitely got too much malakia

When you get Gattuso you get Jorge Mendes too, it is certainly not worth it. Pretty much got Rafa now anyway don’t they?