Football 2020/2021

zahidf

23 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Trippier at LB? Chilwell and Shaw must be livid. 

Chilwell is not even on the bench alongside Maguire and Sancho. No word on why, but 2 keepers and no Sancho is very very stupid if no injuries are around

19 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

For all the analysis of these group games I'm not convinced for really matters. These tournaments don't necessarily reward the best team, they reward the team who get through the process. Portugal were poor in the last Euros group stage and no better than average in the knockouts, didn't stop them winning the thing.

Having some 3rd place go through also dulls the excitement. 

38 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

These idiots booing taking the knee. I would love to hear one try to explain what Marxism is.

I asked one on another forum to point me in the direction of Raheem Sterling’s views on Marxism and he surprisingly did not respond…

Thought we did well yesterday. Toughest game of the group in absolutely blistering heat. Controlled the game well and nabbed the win. It was never going to be a classic but we dug in and ground the win out. Job done.

What most impressed me was how well we managed the game after scoring. Considering we fell apart against the same opposition three years ago it was nice to see lessons had been learnt.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Thought we did well yesterday. Toughest game of the group in absolutely blistering heat. Controlled the game well and nabbed the win. It was never going to be a classic but we dug in and ground the win out. Job done.

What most impressed me was how well we managed the game after scoring. Considering we fell apart against the same opposition three years ago it was nice to see lessons had been learnt.

I must admit when we didn't score in that opening 10 mins or so where we created a number of chances I had a sense of dejavu of tournaments gone by. 

I didn't think Croatia offered much so hope this was more to do with our control of the game rather than them being shite.

I can see Shaw or Chilwell coming in for Trippier against the Scots. 

First 15 mins we looked like world beaters, after that just showed brilliant game management really.

Disappointed Grealish didn't get a showing and I'm sure he was peeved, guess he wasn't needed but mount was fading towards the end.

Also no manager should ever have it so Rashford is playing on the right. 

Don't think trippier selection was justified so hope that changes. 

Still, very good overall!

3 hours ago, JoeyT said:

I must admit when we didn't score in that opening 10 mins or so where we created a number of chances I had a sense of dejavu of tournaments gone by. 

I didn't think Croatia offered much so hope this was more to do with our control of the game rather than them being shite.

I can see Shaw or Chilwell coming in for Trippier against the Scots. 

I don't think Croatia are that good, like England benefited from being easy side of the world cup draw. Don't think many of their players would get in England team.

5 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Aye I think he’ll rotate a few, could see Grealish, Sancho, Shaw or Chilwell, and maybe Hendo and James coming in

If there is no advantage to winning the group then it makes sense to rotate. 

I don't think Scotland should be too despondent, I think Croatia are very beatable and who knows what will happen in England v Scotland

Phillips was outstanding yesterday and should now be starting all the remaining group games for sure. Other than his goal, Sterling did nothing to impress me and Walker looked uneasy at times. Also bummed that Grealish didn’t get a showing but hopefully he starts on Friday; the same for Chilwell Naming two goalkeepers on the bench but top boy Ben Chilwell being left out was a madness. 

I would go 3-4-3 against Scotland and have this as the lineup: 

Pickford 

Mings - Stones - White 

James - Mount - Phillips - Chilwell 

Foden - Kane - Grealish 

Edited by Andre91

8 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Phillips was outstanding yesterday and should now be starting all the remaining group games for sure. Other than his goal, Sterling did nothing to impress me and Walker looked uneasy at times. Also bummed that Grealish didn’t get a showing but hopefully he starts on Friday (the same for Chilwell). 

I would go 3-4-3 against Scotland and have this as the lineup: 

Pickford 

Mings - Stones - White 

James - Mount - Phillips - Chilwell 

Foden - Kane - Grealish 

England have a pretty easy group and 3 points on the board, if I was them I would rotate pretty heavily in the group and conserve energy.

5 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I don't think Croatia are that good, like England benefited from being easy side of the world cup draw. Don't think many of their players would get in England team.

I think Croatia were a lot better 3 years ago than they are now.

33 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think that's definitely true. Wales had a draw and narrow loss against them in qualifying. They didn't really impress me.

3 years ago I think there was no shame in losing to them, they were a strong side with some star players at their peak. Now I think they're an average side, with a few stars past their prime. I think Croatia at this tournament are much more comparable to teams like the USA that England have often drawn against in opening games - strong enough to be awkward, but England should be beating them.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Impressed by Emma Hayes as co-commentator. She seems a lot more knowledgeable than a lot of male ex players getting by on their name. In general itv much better than BBC in my view.

Was she doing the Slovakia match? Was impressed from the parts I saw.

Re: Two keepers on the bench. Isn’t that UEFA policy?