Football 2020/2021

zahidf

12 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

You mean the same fans who rolled out the red carpet for these clowns? Yeah, fuck them.

Football existed before Sky, oil sheikhs and petrodollars, it can do again.

Football did exist in this country before the Premier League but to suggest it was better than we have now is ridiculous. The football was not as good, the stadiums were sitholes, the talent on show not to the same standard, stadiums were half empty and those fans that did go were racist, homophobic and violent. Yes, let's all pine for the days before the Premier League.

10 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Football did exist in this country before the Premier League but to suggest it was better than we have now is ridiculous. The football was not as good, the stadiums were sitholes, the talent on show not to the same standard, stadiums were half empty and those fans that did go were racist, homophobic and violent. Yes, let's all pine for the days before the Premier League.

It was also a hell of a lot cheaper, the every day dad could afford to take the kids without emptying the bank. 

Also stadiums had a lot better atmosphere.

There is pros and cons with the premier league, certainly not all good or all bad. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Point to where I used the word "better".

My greatest regret in all of this is that you lot didn't fuck off and go play with Real, Juve and all the other soulless husks of what used to be great football clubs. I wish you'd all just go and never return. It stinks that you can try to exercise such power over everyone else. It stinks that you try to hold everyone else to ransom and it stinks that the authorities are terrified to enforce any sort of substantial punishment.

I've seen the Premier League, it's shite when you haven't got obscene amounts of money. I hold no great desire to go back, I'd happily see the whole thing burn to the ground. Clubs will survive, cloth will be cut and maybe out that something better and more competitive will come out of it.

The "Big 6" have ruined the game for everyone else.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Point to where I used the word "better".

My greatest regret in all of this is that you lot didn't fuck off and go play with Real, Juve and all the other soulless husks of what used to be great football clubs. I wish you'd all just go and never return. It stinks that you can try to exercise such power over everyone else. It stinks that you try to hold everyone else to ransom and it stinks that the authorities are terrified to enforce any sort of substantial punishment.

I've seen the Premier League, it's shite when you haven't got obscene amounts of money. I hold no great desire to go back, I'd happily see the whole thing burn to the ground. Clubs will survive, cloth will be cut and maybe out that something better and more competitive will come out of it.

The "Big 6" have ruined the game for everyone else.

City had no part in the way things are, they just played the cards they were dealt. Neither did Chelsea.

Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool,United and Everton were the instigators of what we now have.

What's the England starting lineup going to be on Sunday then folks?

Southgate has said today that all 26 players are available (Maguire further along than they expected)

I'd have thought he will be kept back for the Scotland game though.

I hadn't really looked at the last 16 draw until today. England will have one hell of a nasty reward if they win their group, the runner up in the France/Portugal/Germany/Hungary group! Runners up in the group get the runners up in Spain/Poland/Sweden/Slovakia. Think I would rather be runner up. A bit nasty get France, Germany or Portugal in the last 16 though, even though it will be at Wembley if we win the group

17 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I believe in boycotting things. I haven't bought a shirt or gone to St James' in 10 years (albeit made easier by living down south now).

If you give unconditional support to any business, I think it's then cheeky to moan about it while continuing to throw money at them. Consumerism is what has driven football to this.

I agree to some extent but I also sympathise with fans who find it difficult to give up their season ticket as some peoples lives revolve around the club they support.

17 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Back to the ESL punishment point though, the desire to leave and have a closed super-league was based off being happy to abandon local support in favour of hunting TV money and Chinese shirt sales. The only way to hit their income on a foreign market, is to take away the success for a period. Maybe if these clubs spend 5 years outside the top divisions, then we'll see a rise in foreign support for other clubs.

If that did happen, there would just be different big clubs that then arise and have similar power to the 'big six' at the moment. You'd then have the same problem.

Also, you don't need to 'hit their income' if you just give them huge fines. That would do that in itself. 

5 hours ago, JoeyT said:

What's the England starting lineup going to be on Sunday then folks?

Southgate has said today that all 26 players are available (Maguire further along than they expected)

I'd have thought he will be kept back for the Scotland game though.

Wouldn’t risk Maguire yet.

Pickford

Trippier Stones White Shaw

Rice Bellingham

Foden Mount Grealish

Kane

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Were Italy good or were Turkey just really, really bad?

Bit of both, Italy were blistering all game but Turkey were absolute dog. 

37 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Wouldn’t risk Maguire yet.

Pickford

Trippier Stones White Shaw

Rice Bellingham

Foden Mount Grealish

Kane

For me I think we’ll see a 5 at the back

Pickford

James Walker Stones White Chillwell

Rice Bellingham

Mount Kane Grealish

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Really annoys me having only one match on the opening day.

You get all juiced up for the festival of football then they give you one game and then put it away again until tomorrow.

I found the commentary really annoying. It was as if they were in massive shock that Italy were not super defensive.