Football 2020/2021

zahidf

8 minutes ago, st dan said:

He was absolutely terrible. He shouldn’t be anywhere near England’s starting XI at the Euros the way he’s been playing. 

James for Rashford needed to be made in normal time. Greenwood also very quiet tonight.

Great win for Villarreal!

3 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

James for Rashford needed to be made in normal time. Greenwood also very quiet tonight.

Great win for Villarreal!

Yeah either that, or Mata/Donny from the bench to pick out a neat pass between the lines. Was clear for everybody to see how they were setting up meant that Rashford was going to be completely ineffective out there with no space to run in to.

Tactical masterclass from Emery again. They deserved the win.  

Edited by st dan

I am loathe to mock United too much as we have our big night on Saturday. But, United should be tearing Villarreal to pieces. It was an utterly abysmal game of football and Solskjaer did not have a clue. Another big game and another Fernandes no show.

27 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I don't have BT Sport. Is Scholes always this bad as a pundit?

Yeah, there’s a lot good in the BT coverage of European football but Scholes isn’t great. Don’t think he’s a regular. Surprised he bothers as my memory of him as a player was that he never did much tv. Great player.

10 hours ago, thetime said:

I actually can't remember de gea saving a one.

De gea hasn't saved any of his last 35 spot kicks.

Thankfully gave the match a skip (seemed to be shite) and just turned on or the peno shootout but its 40 penos in a row I think? Some of the attempts last night were embarrassing.

13 minutes ago, st dan said:

Funny that De Gea’s best goalkeeping attribute is supposed to be his shot stopping, yet he can’t come close to saving a penalty. 

Its baffling. Hes really really bad at it. You've a 50/50 chance of going the right way but he makes himself so small.

Enjoying the silly narratives this morning though. Utd would be great and Ole a great success if it weren't for the goalie missing one kick. But instead its a disaster. Wasn't even that bad a penalty. There were 4 or 5 worse ones that went in. 

I'm anti peno kicks anyway. For a variety of reasons. Should do a decreasing number extra time or "attacker defender goalkeeper" instead.

Where do the rags go from here? They have wasted an awful lot of money on some absolute dross and the manager is nowhere near good enough for a top level team. Rashford looks injured to me. People saying he was not interested last night, I don't see that personally as he does not seem that kind of character. Bruno, the biggest hype job there ever was, he does absolutely nothing when it matters. The defence actually looks ok to me, one more cb and they are set. Martial and Pogba are a problem, all the talent in the world but no application. The midfield is workman like, but there is no real quality in there. Cavani looks the one piece of real quality, but he's getting old now, while Greenwood looks like he could go on to be real quality.

I think if last night's managers were in the opposite dug out, United would have won easily last night.

They should try and get as much money as possible for Martial and Pogba, as both have been expensive flops overall. Trying to fit Pogba in that team unbalances the whole lot and it is not worth it just for a wonder goal or pass, once every 5 games. Move Greenwood inside and use those funds to buy Sancho. There is talk of Declan Rice, but he's not the type of player they need. They should be all in for Houssem Aouar. They need someone who can dictate play and put his foot on the ball rather than the kick and rush, through the inside channels, style of football which United employ.

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Its baffling. Hes really really bad at it. You've a 50/50 chance of going the right way but he makes himself so small.

Enjoying the silly narratives this morning though. Utd would be great and Ole a great success if it weren't for the goalie missing one kick. But instead its a disaster. Wasn't even that bad a penalty. There were 4 or 5 worse ones that went in. 

I'm anti peno kicks anyway. For a variety of reasons. Should do a decreasing number extra time or "attacker defender goalkeeper" instead.

It was the auto-glass windscreens European trophy. They were rewarded by failing to get out of the Champions League group. They should have been embarrassed to be in it.

17 minutes ago, eastynh said:

It was the auto-glass windscreens European trophy. They were rewarded by failing to get out of the Champions League group. They should have been embarrassed to be in it.

Yeah I remember Evra years ago saying its "punishment". 

Theres a backbone of a good team there but Utd need to sort the midfield out. Pogba, Fred, McTominay. Nah. Pogba is Balotelli levels of overrated. Get rid while hes still worth a few quid. This that'll be addressed this summer. Central defence too. VVD and Dias have shown how important defenders are again. But how much would Varane cost?

Assume Kane will go to City.

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah I remember Evra years ago saying its "punishment". 

Theres a backbone of a good team there but Utd need to sort the midfield out. Pogba, Fred, McTominay. Nah. Pogba is Balotelli levels of overrated. Get rid while hes still worth a few quid. This that'll be addressed this summer. Central defence too. VVD and Dias have shown how important defenders are again. But how much would Varane cost?

Assume Kane will go to City.

UEFA ruin these competitions by having the teams that fail to progress in the Champions League, falling into the Europa League. The ESL clubs got a load of stick and rightly so for their greed, but UEFA are just as bad. Their plans for the Champions League were just as bad, teams getting a place based on historical performance. I bet that will now be conveniently dropped from their proposals after they seen the fan backlash. No one wants to see more shit games, they want to see competitive games.

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

Where do the rags go from here?

That all depends... if they are happy plodding along with top four finishes and going far in smaller tournaments they stick to what they're doing.

If they have any actual ambition of closing the gap to City they note that Conte is available, say thanks to Ole and gently usher him out the door.

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

That all depends... if they are happy plodding along with top four finishes and going far in smaller tournaments they stick to what they're doing.

If they have any actual ambition of closing the gap to City they note that Conte is available, say thanks to Ole and gently usher him out the door.

I’d love to see that happen, but the Glazers are very content with Ole in charge as he’s a yes man who knows he’s lucky to be in such a job, without the credentials to back it up. I don’t think they have any interest in a manager coming in upsetting the apple cart and demanding new transfers etc.