Football 2020/2021

zahidf

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Because I'm board at work I was looking at the fixtures for the Euros and trying to work out if there's actually greater benefit to finishing second in England's group than coming top.

2nd Round - France or Germany

QF - Spain

Semi - Italy or Holland

If we come second:

Second Round - Poland or Sweden

QF - France or Germany

Semi - Belgium

If we could get past France or Germany in the second round then we'd have to think we could all the way.

When was the last time England beat one of the big/best  teams in the knockouts? Is it spain in Euro 96? I guess there is always the chance the draw opens up, but I remain to be convinced by England in the big games. I also have my doubts that Southgate is the man who will get the big decisions right.

11 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

When was the last time England beat one of the big/best  teams in the knockouts? Is it spain in Euro 96? I guess there is always the chance the draw opens up, but I remain to be convinced by England in the big games. I also have my doubts that Southgate is the man who will get the big decisions right.

Can't pretend Southgate's insistence on defensive football doesn't concern me, especially as we can't defend.

21 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think Southgate will achieve what he should achieve with the tools at his disposal. 

What he’s unlikely to do is create a Finals team that is greater than the sum of its parts. 

5 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

I think Southgate will achieve what he should achieve with the tools at his disposal. 

What he’s unlikely to do is create a Finals team that is greater than the sum of its parts. 

I mean Greece and Denmark have won the Euros with worse squads. In the works cup Southgate beat the average and poor teams and lost to the good ones. That's probably what I see continuing.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I mean Greece and Denmark have won the Euros with worse squads.

Yes. With teams that managed to over achieve. 

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

In the works cup Southgate beat the average and poor teams and lost to the good ones. That's probably what I see continuing.

England aren’t very good. They should lose to good teams. 

31 minutes ago, thetime said:

Same can be said for many players over the years for England. #scholes

Barnes and Waddle spring to mind. Conversely, Robson (the shit one with the perm*) was usually even better for country than he was for club. 

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Wales aren't very good, but beat a good team in the last Euros. Laws of probability suggest England have to beat a good team in these tournament sometime.

It’s a cup competition of course it happens. It just happens less than a better team beating an inferior one. 

7 minutes ago, thetime said:

I'm not having that mate, the greatest English midfielder in the last 40 years.

Probably wasn’t worded very well and I forgot to add the intended explanation to the *. 

Wasn’t suggesting Robson wasn’t very good at club level. I just think he was usually superb for England - which given the circumstances is quite something. 

*”the shit one with the perm” was a regular pub joke around Upton Park once upon a time, in reference to Pop Robson and faux misunderstandings. 

6 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

*”the shit one with the perm” was a regular pub joke around Upton Park once upon a time, in reference to Pop Robson and faux misunderstandings. 

Yeah I got that one.

For me a fit Robson and England would of won the world Cup in 86. To be honest he pocketed maradonna in 84. 👍

Amazing player.

14 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

It’s a cup competition of course it happens. It just happens less than a better team beating an inferior one. 

The thing is when I look back at previous tournaments, the teams knocking England out may have often been marginally better, but in general they haven't been the best in the tournament.

1 minute ago, thetime said:

Yeah I got that one.

For me a fit Robson and England would of won the world Cup in 86. To be honest he pocketed maradonna in 84. 👍

Amazing player.

No argument from me. 

Cruel that his appearances tally for both club and country isn’t what it ought to have been. 

Looking forward to the game this evening. Hopefully we can put in a strong performance and make it to the final. My only fear is that it is probably unlikely that Madrid will play as badly as they did in the first leg.

12 hours ago, priest17 said:

Got constant shit for supporting city in school coz we were shit and constant shit since, now look at us, only gone and got ourselves a champions league final. 

@eastynh 

tenor-4.gif.2f574aa768ff282102d5a97b0ee4fa90.gif

It was pretty much 25 years to the day that we beat Stoke 5-2, but still got relegated to the third tier (both teams were relegated). There was a full scale riot outside the ground after the game.

I remember getting the train back to piccadilly, then the 76 bus to Briscoe Lane. I got off the bus at the Phoenix pub, and all my mates were  outside the shops on Briscoe Lane. I had the piss ripped out of me. Fair to say those sames mates are not laughing this morning.

City have been magnificent this season, let's hope we go on to win in.

Edited by eastynh

29 minutes ago, eastynh said:

It was pretty much 25 years to the day that we beat Stoke 5-2, but still got relegated to the third tier (both teams were relegated). There was a full scale riot outside the ground after the game.

I remember getting the train back to piccadilly, then the 76 bus to Briscoe Lane. I got off the bus at the Phoenix pub, and all my mates were  outside the shops on Briscoe Lane. I had the piss ripped out of me. Fair to say those sames mates are not laughing this morning.

Partridge Cloud | needless to say, i had the last laugh. now fuck off!

52 minutes ago, eastynh said:

C0CvdkFWgAAbCHY.jpg

No ones laughing alright but no one really gives a shit either. Abu Dhabi could've bought Stoke and they'd be in the CL final now instead.

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

C0CvdkFWgAAbCHY.jpg

No ones laughing alright but no one really gives a shit either. Abu Dhabi could've bought Stoke and they'd be in the CL final now instead.

No one gives a shit what plastic, Irish, glory hunters think either.

I get it, you're bitter and upset, please don't don't call me a liar though as you have no idea what you're talking about.

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

No one gives a shit what plastic, Irish, glory hunters think either.

😆 So angry. Love it. Great banter.

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

I get it, you're bitter and upset, please don't don't call me a liar though as you have no idea what you're talking about.

A swing and a miss.