Football 2020/2021

zahidf

8 minutes ago, st dan said:

F717BB75-0241-4783-BC1C-95188E40C378.thumb.jpeg.22c1bf4ac10a77a0e136ccfefc9b60da.jpeg

Not far off - this was as good as we got from the ‘Communications Department’. 53 words and not even a sorry, or regret in sight. Disgusting. 

To be fair all the apologies are a bit hollow, are the fans taking the fake apologies seriously.

6 minutes ago, thetime said:

To be fair all the apologies are a bit hollow, are the fans taking the fake apologies seriously.

Oh of course, and nobody will buy any of them for even a second. 

But come on chaps, bother to put in a bit of effort with the statements at least. Hold your hands up and admit you misjudged what the football community really wanted, the intention was to create an even better competition for the fans to enjoy blah blah blah - it’s not even a difficult statement to come up with to show they have even a hint of remorse. By not doing so, it just solidifies the point even further that they really do not give a shit about anything else but the money.

That Utd statement even reads like they sound pissed off they have been forced to pull out and lose all the riches. 

Edited by st dan

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

The only ones being honest then, they are all pissed off.

Suppose the Glazer’s don’t have to pretend to even care anymore do they - they have never had (or ever will have) a relationship with the fans, and quite frankly they don’t care in the slightest. 

16 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Time for the PL to show some bollocks and relegate them all with a 40pt deduction for next season. 

The problem is that the PL and the other 14 clubs massively need these other 6 clubs for their own gains - and they know it. These teams bring in all the viewers around the world, and associated TV money etc. Unfortunately it would be a classic case of cutting off their nose to spite their face. 

Plus any penalties wouldn’t be fair on the managers, players or fans of these clubs, all of whom had no say in this and really didn’t want it to happen. The only punishment can be huge financial fines (although again that could impact the transfer budgets for the clubs which again indirectly punishes the managers, players and fans), or force them to sell up - but don’t think they have a leg to stand of legally from that point of view. So sadly, it’s probably all going to just blow over in the coming weeks and months with no real repercussions.   

Edited by st dan

6 minutes ago, st dan said:

The problem is that the PL and the other 14 clubs massively need these other 6 clubs for their own gains - and they know it. These teams bring in all the viewers around the world, and associated TV money etc. Unfortunately it would be a classic case of cutting off their nose to spite their face. 

Only in the short term. If the 14 can survive financially in the short term, they’d be hugely better off without the “elite six” 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Time to vote with your feet and your wallets. Forget about these scummy 6 clubs and support your smaller local teams. 

They don’t deserve your time or your money any longer. They certainly proved they don’t care about you or their history. 

Did you do that when Ridsdale fucked it?

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Time for the PL to show some bollocks and relegate them all with a 40pt deduction for next season. 

I thought that last night, but I am not sure what these 6 have legally done wrong and how they could be punished. If they were to be relegated or banned from anything then they would just leave and form their own league.

I doubt there will be any punishment. There will be a new covid variant tomorrow, people's attention will move on and this will all be brushed under the carpet.

13 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I thought that last night, but I am not sure what these 6 have legally done wrong and how they could be punished. If they were to be relegated or banned from anything then they would just leave and form their own league.

I doubt there will be any punishment. There will be a new covid variant tomorrow, people's attention will move on and this will all be brushed under the carpet.

The EFL have a blanket rule that covers treating the sport with respect. It’s what they used against Leeds for the whole spygate saga even though there was no specific rule against it at the time. 

The EPL will have a similar clause that they can use should they want to. They have used it in the past to apply points deductions where they wouldn’t have normally being applied. 

45 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Yeah and refused to go to games under Cellino too. He was just as crooked as Risdale. Luckily we now have owners who care about the club. 

Or what is more commonly known as promotion. 😎

Edited by thetime

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

Didn’t they just try that? Didn’t end well...

23 minutes ago, thetime said:

Transfer ban for 3 years should sort it, that would hit them harder than anything.

It has to be something more than money, 5m fine isn't going to hurt them. 

Problem there is that those teams will suffer a dip in performance and quality, and so will the leagues and Champions leagues so FIFA/UEFA/Leagues are shooting themselves in the foot.

I think there will be a couple of token useless fines and everyone moves on.

Discussing on Sky Sports News if they can even face any sanctions as it was only an intention to form the breakaway at this stage, which they didn’t get chance to act on. The wording when it was announced stated:

‘Twelve of Europe’s leading football clubs have today come together to announce they have agreed to establish a new mid-week competition, the Super League, governed by its Founding Clubs.’

It was nothing more than a concept, although they were clearly going to act on it given the chance. The fact it all crumbled in less than 48 hours probably helped them, before they had chance to get the wheels in motion. 
I’m sure the 12 clubs legal teams will be able to rip apart any harsh punishments that are handed out, and more likely it will blow over and be forgotten by the end of the season. 

Edited by st dan