Football 2020/2021

zahidf

26 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

There’s pictures of me playing with the team on the trainIng ground from the 80s, I’ve been sat with the players post game many times. I used to work at Elland Road in Champions League football days. Working behind the bar on new year’s day with a comedown isn’t fun 😂

One of my mates dads is very influential within the Leeds organisation so I’ve been allowed access to my club that most fans don’t get. My dad used to work there too back when Bremner was managing the side as well. I can honestly say I’ve always been a Leeds fan and always will be. 

Like you I've been a Leeds fan all my life (was born in Beeston) and cant imagine ever not being, but with all our Scandi fans (for example) we also have plenty of fans not from Leeds same as most big clubs do.

1 minute ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

Like you I've been a Leeds fan all my life (was born in Beeston) and cant imagine ever not being, but with all our Scandi fans (for example) we also have plenty of fans not from Leeds same as most big clubs do.

The so called big 6 are scared of us ruining their little monopoly so they’re doing a runner 😂

26 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Would love to know the mood at Everton right now... £500m for a new stadium only for the c**ts to raise the drawbridge and block them from ever entering the elite.

Pretty resigned to the stadium not happening either way- we'll either have much lower tv deals (unlikely) or as you say nothing at all to play for. That includes cup competitions, if they go as part of this compromise then we just exist to be beaten by the super clubs same as everyone else. That's pretty much where we are anyway before their transfer budgets are increased even further.

The PL can't kick them out and everyone involved knows it. 

In a more immediate issue, how can Leeds- Liverpool happen tonight? Who's playing for what? Technically Leeds are 4th now when it comes to UEFA competitions qualification...

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Pretty resigned to the stadium not happening either way- we'll either have much lower tv deals (unlikely) or as you say nothing at all to play for. That includes cup competitions, if they go as part of this compromise then we just exist to be beaten by the super clubs same as everyone else. That's pretty much where we are anyway before their transfer budgets are increased even further.

The PL can't kick them out and everyone involved knows it. 

In a more immediate issue, how can Leeds- Liverpool happen tonight? Who's playing for what? Technically Leeds are 4th now when it comes to UEFA competitions qualification...

There is a wider point here around whether owners of the likes of Everton/Villa/Wolves/etc will scale back investment into clubs if there is little incentive to spend.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There is a wider point here around whether owners of the likes of Everton/Villa/Wolves/etc will scale back investment into clubs if there is little incentive to spend.

It's all a symptom of modern football and our slavery to money. Its like we expect these same teams to be winning everything every year, tv audiences seem to enjoy a lack of competitiveness. It is really a business not a game now - otherwise we'd love the idea of a more competitive league. 

For all but those clubs we go into the season with zero expectation of winning anything. Its not been a game for a long time 

In theory it's only 15 clubs and from a purely "game" perspective everything would be more exciting without them, including whatever UEFA come up with next.

But in reality if we kick them out the football Pyramid collapses because they bring in most of the money. 

No real win here - even if its not the exact format proposed they surely have to get their closed competition now 

9 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

As I said a few pages back I'm actually not too bothered as VAR has already ruined the game.

I could see it going like darts, there maybe less money but we were better when we were skint with Moyes in charge. Also around Covid and brexit I could see the 6 English teams relocating their franchises to cities on the continent. A Southern Europe and Northern Europe  competition may work quite well.

2 minutes ago, lost said:

As I said a few pages back I'm actually not too bothered as VAR has already ruined the game.

I could see it going like darts, there maybe less money but we were better when we were skint with Moyes in charge. Also around Covid and brexit I could see the 6 English teams relocating their franchises to cities on the continent. A Southern Europe and Northern Europe  competition may work quite well.

What I think will happens, is games being played around the world. They can make there own rules now.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Surely he's finished now as an elite manager?

Yeah - he has been for a long, long time. I’m convinced they only went for him for the purpose of the Amazon documentary.

He’ll probably go to MLS or something now and see out his days. Maybe a spot of International management.  

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It's all a symptom of modern football and our slavery to money. Its like we expect these same teams to be winning everything every year, tv audiences seem to enjoy a lack of competitiveness. It is really a business not a game now - otherwise we'd love the idea of a more competitive league. 

For all but those clubs we go into the season with zero expectation of winning anything. Its not been a game for a long time 

In theory it's only 15 clubs and from a purely "game" perspective everything would be more exciting without them, including whatever UEFA come up with next.

But in reality if we kick them out the football Pyramid collapses because they bring in most of the money. 

No real win here - even if its not the exact format proposed they surely have to get their closed competition now 

Yeah I'd love to see the whole thing crash down and be rebuilt as a fairer, less money obsessed function. But that's just a naive dream, we are far too far gone for that. When the likes of Jonjo Shelvey are earning over £100k a week you know everything is fucked.

It would take at least a decade for the current excesses to be purged out and in that time how many clubs would go to the wall?

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Surely he's finished now as an elite manager?

No doubt he'll wind up somewhere in Italy or Spain with a similar ending to the story as this one.

It's bizarre that clubs continually take a punt on him when he ends up leaving everywhere in a toxic mess.

Just now, JoeyT said:

No doubt he'll wind up somewhere in Italy or Spain with a similar ending to the story as this one.

It's bizarre that clubs continually take a punt on him when he ends up leaving everywhere in a toxic mess.

I imagine a stint as Portugal manager then a comfy, well paid life on the sofa of whichever broadcaster gets the ESL.