Football 2020/2021

zahidf

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

So much for the Spanish League being shite.

Interesting how all the talk before was who Madrid would have in defence. Wait until you see who Liverpool have as the back two, fellas.

Given how awful we were first half, it could've been a lot worse than it ended up.

Agree, far too much was made of this in the build up. 
Madrid’s midfield controlled the game. As much as I never like to write a player off I worry Keita might never get up to the levels he has the potential to.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Glad to see Dawson has done well for you. Having watched him for years at Albion I always said he does well under pragmatic managers where his job is no more complicated than tackling, heading and blocking. He was at his best for us under Pulis where he was only required to do the basics and nothing more. He struggles when you ask him to actually play football.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the quality of his ground passing, and I positively encourage his row Z approach when it’s required. 

He does have the turning circle of a bus and a lack in acceleration though. Desperately needs the return of Ogbonna - his partnership with Diop just doesn’t work. 

Watford are an odd club. 

12 hours ago, jyoung said:

Easy loan is a funny way to look at it. The guy made United's bench 4 times in the league this season and picked up a measly 1 goal and 0 assists last year... Before the West Ham move I think most fans would have agreed that his days of being a highly effective PL attacking player were over. Some would probably argue that he never was in the first place. It was far from a guarantee that he would turn up at West Ham and bag 6 goals and 4 assists in 8 games. There has to be a strong element of good management and system in place there. Moyes has done really great work with that squad.

I do find it funny that sometimes players are written off if they aren't succeeding at a top 6 team. It makes perfect sense that a player may not be good enough for a top team, yet will be perfectly fine at a traditional mid table team.

12 hours ago, lost said:

There were suggestions W.Ham wanted Josh King but Everton nipped in with more money and they moved onto Lingard. Funny if that's how it worked out as I can't see King staying at Everton very long. He hasn't done a thing.

I was surprised everton and man we're both interested in King, I'm not convinced he is premiership quality.

13 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

So they made signings to maintain their position... Isn't that just good management?

Wonder if tgtwill credit the owners with having done that as much as Moyes has

13 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

If Lingard was such an easy and obvious signing where was everyone else?

Thed Sen him play and didnt have the utd contacts

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Wonder if tgtwill credit the owners with having done that as much as Moyes has

Give them credit for re-employing the manager they previously sacked and giving him the funds to sign a guy, a relegated side didn’t deem good enough for the championship you mean? 

Just now, TheGayTent said:

Give them credit for re-employing the manager they previously sacked and giving him the funds to sign a guy, a relegated side didn’t deem good enough for the championship you mean? 

If moye deserves praise for his decision then do those who put Moyes in the position to make those decisions.

14 hours ago, lost said:

There were suggestions W.Ham wanted Josh King but Everton nipped in with more money and they moved onto Lingard. Funny if that's how it worked out as I can't see King staying at Everton very long. He hasn't done a thing.

King has been a strange one - barely got a look in. He mustn't be showing much in training. Richarlison never gets subbed off even when playing badly (which is quite often this season) so I'm not really sure why we signed King beyond as an injury backup. I agree he won't be staying - we only signed him on a 6 month deal as his contract was up at Bournemouth this summer. He must be pretty annoyed when he could've gone somewhere else and played every week. Especially when he sees Iwobi playing ahead of him...

West Ham definitely got the good end of that one! 

31 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

And to think people were moaning about TAA not being in the England squad...

Disasterclass the first half but more efficient in the final third in the second. Not enough for me though. 

The whole thing has been a joke. The media will just jump on anything and push it. I've seen clubs and fans whine and moan about their players being called up for internationals and then the second their player doesn't, everyone acts as if a crime has been committed.

Thinking about the teams England would face in the Euros, for me Trent isn't the player I want at RB against the likes of Mbappe. I think he's got a lot to offer going forward but defensively I don't think he should be first choice at all. Get him in against the weaker teams who sit back where he won't be exposed. It's worth remembering, he's 22 and he's already very good. There's plenty of time for him to potentially become the best RB in the country but right now he just isn't and I don't get why everyone is acting like he is...

6 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Disasterclass the first half but more efficient in the final third in the second. Not enough for me though. 

The whole thing has been a joke. The media will just jump on anything and push it. I've seen clubs and fans whine and moan about their players being called up for internationals and then the second their player doesn't, everyone acts as if a crime has been committed.

Thinking about the teams England would face in the Euros, for me Trent isn't the player I want at RB against the likes of Mbappe. I think he's got a lot to offer going forward but defensively I don't think he should be first choice at all. Get him in against the weaker teams who sit back where he won't be exposed. It's worth remembering, he's 22 and he's already very good. There's plenty of time for him to potentially become the best RB in the country but right now he just isn't and I don't get why everyone is acting like he is...

Call me old fashioned but I kinda like my defenders to be able to defend...

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Maybe he'll be moved into midfield at some point.

Yes I was thinking that similar to a Philip Lahm type player. Klopp seemed to disagree and during the Arsenal match the commentators wouldn't stop going on about it.

Thankfully its one area England don't seem to be lacking in.. you would hope one of James, Walker, Trippier and Wan Bissaka would be able to do a job for the foreseeable future.

I think Walker and James should be the 2 right backs taken, maybe Wan Bissaka as a third as he can defend even better than the two above, but Walker is still world class in that position.

ive made numerous predictions for the Euro squad, couple of questions

will Southgate take Dier?

and how many attacking options do you think he takes?

for me personally Dier shouldn’t go, he’s dog and I’d much rather have Stones, Maguire, Keane, Mings, Konsa, Coady and Godfrey at CB. And Rice, Hendo and Phillips, maybe even JWP at CDM. But Southgate seems to love him 

and I think that 2 strikers (Kane and DCL) + Rashford, Sterling, Sancho and Grealish taken as a winger. But Lingard has to be a shout

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

If I was picking a squad right now (and assuming everyone was fit)

GK - Pickford, Pope, Henderson

DEF - Maguire, Stones, Coady, Walker, Shaw, Trippier, Keane

MID - Henderson, Bellingham, Rice, Mount, Foden, Grealish, Phillips, Saka, Barnes

FW - Kane, Sterling, Rashford, Calvert-Lewin

Only one LB?

6 hours ago, jyoung said:

when southgate insists on defendive midfielders TAA's defensive weaknesses shouldnt be an issue.

I don’t understand why we have to have this palaver every time a tournament comes around. 

Usually the manager picks the same XI for 4 or 5 matches and throws on forwards in games we’re losing. 14/15 players might get used in total? 

The 3 or 4 who might make the squad or might not are very unlikely to get any game time whatsoever.