Football 2020/2021

zahidf

8 hours ago, lost said:

I just want Leicester or West Ham to do it, ideally both to make UEFA's plans of sowing up the competition look ridiculous. 

West Ham though may end up like Everton with Rice out. Only problem for the also rans when a first teamer is out.

I'm so impressed with what Moyes has done with West Ham this season- I'd love to see them get it ahead of Liverpool 

Somehow at Everton we keep coming up with these ridiculous home results against teams we'd expect to be beating - shows how much of a wasted opportunity this season is when we've won 1 in 8 at home, with most of those against teams far lower in the table, yet we're still up there for top 4. Definite improvements today - normally we can't make chances but we made loads and just couldn't put them away. Would be more than happy with Europa League but it's a tough run in with spurs arsenal and City to play. That said, we seem to be better when forced to defend against those teams traditionally higher than us so who knows! 

But realistically I think Liverpool for the final top 4 spot - pretty favorable run of fixtures and they've got the quality to get through it 

Really can’t see our current position being sustained. With our converted winger turned striker going off injured (again) in the first half and no other professional striker in the squad, Declan Rice out for at least half the remaining games, and the continued absence of our best defender, it would be a miracle if we finished top six let alone top 4. 

17 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Really can’t see our current position being sustained. With our converted winger turned striker going off injured (again) in the first half and no other professional striker in the squad, Declan Rice out for at least half the remaining games, and the continued absence of our best defender, it would be a miracle if we finished top six let alone top 4. 

Moyes is at his best with backs against the wall - and I remember we always finished seasons really strongly so you never know. Do you reckon he'll be given some money to invest in the summer? 

31 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Do you reckon he'll be given some money to invest in the summer? 

He’ll likely get roughly 50% of whatever funds are amassed from player sales. Given more than half the first team aren’t worth anything, what we can raise isn’t going to amount to much. 

We could of course sell Rice, but then we’d be regressing rather than improving. 

6 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm so impressed with what Moyes has done with West Ham this season- I'd love to see them get it ahead of Liverpool 

Somehow at Everton we keep coming up with these ridiculous home results against teams we'd expect to be beating - shows how much of a wasted opportunity this season is when we've won 1 in 8 at home, with most of those against teams far lower in the table, yet we're still up there for top 4. Definite improvements today - normally we can't make chances but we made loads and just couldn't put them away. Would be more than happy with Europa League but it's a tough run in with spurs arsenal and City to play. That said, we seem to be better when forced to defend against those teams traditionally higher than us so who knows! 

But realistically I think Liverpool for the final top 4 spot - pretty favorable run of fixtures and they've got the quality to get through it 

You could buy omore players with a cut of lingards clothes sales. 

Easy loan is a funny way to look at it. The guy made United's bench 4 times in the league this season and picked up a measly 1 goal and 0 assists last year... Before the West Ham move I think most fans would have agreed that his days of being a highly effective PL attacking player were over. Some would probably argue that he never was in the first place. It was far from a guarantee that he would turn up at West Ham and bag 6 goals and 4 assists in 8 games. There has to be a strong element of good management and system in place there. Moyes has done really great work with that squad.

There were suggestions W.Ham wanted Josh King but Everton nipped in with more money and they moved onto Lingard. Funny if that's how it worked out as I can't see King staying at Everton very long. He hasn't done a thing.

3 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Is there any talk of Lingard moving there permanently? 

He’s got another year on his contract which means we almost certainly haven’t got the money to sign him permanently - and that’s before you take into account there’s little chance of Lingard wanting to stay anyway. 

We’ve agreed a permanent deal today for a player not deemed good enough for a championship side. That’s more our level currently (and that’s no slight on Dawson who has played admirably and demonstrated a superb attitude since he came in on loan). 

49 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

We’ve agreed a permanent deal today for a player not deemed good enough for a championship side. That’s more our level currently (and that’s no slight on Dawson who has played admirably and demonstrated a superb attitude since he came in on loan). 

Glad to see Dawson has done well for you. Having watched him for years at Albion I always said he does well under pragmatic managers where his job is no more complicated than tackling, heading and blocking. He was at his best for us under Pulis where he was only required to do the basics and nothing more. He struggles when you ask him to actually play football.

5 hours ago, jyoung said:

Benzema might have other ideas when he sees Liverpool's CB duo.

Yeah it was said slightly tongue in cheek, I was saying a few pages back there must be something about that midfield 3 for the amount of players they have displaced. Anyway its made my mind up which match to watch, Dortmund look a lot more injury ravaged so I'd expect this match to be closer.

So much for the Spanish League being shite.

Interesting how all the talk before was who Madrid would have in defence. Wait until you see who Liverpool have as the back two, fellas.

Given how awful we were first half, it could've been a lot worse than it ended up.

Edited by Gnomicide