Football 2020/2021

zahidf

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

That Shearer bloke begs to differ...

He can beg all he wants. Aguero has more career goals than Shearer, in far fewer games. Aguero's mins per goal ratio blows Shearers out of the water.  When you compare their records, Aguero's is far better than Shearers. People forget Aguero had scored over 100 goals in Spain and that was before the age of 22.

Just now, eastynh said:

He can beg all he wants. Aguero has more career goals than Shearer, in far fewer games. Aguero's mins per goal ratio blows Shearers out of the water.  When you compare their records, Aguero's is far better than Shearers. People forget Aguero had scored over 100 goals in Spain and that was before the age of 22.

You said “Premier League” not anywhere else. Shearer scored more goals than Aguero.

And if we’re talking ratios then Aguero is on 0.67 goals per game - Henry and Kane are both on 0.68.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

You said “Premier League” not anywhere else. Shearer scored more goals than Aguero.

And if we’re talking ratios then Aguero is on 0.67 goals per game - Henry and Kane are both on 0.68.

Aguero scores a goal every 106.5 minutes, Harry Kane scores every 120 minutes and Henry 121 minutes. Shearer is every 146 minutes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mancity.com/news/mens/sergio-aguero-minutes-per-goal-63726692

Shearer did score more goals in the premier league than Aguero. So has Rooney and Andy Cole. Yet Aguero's record is far better than all of them. Are you saying Rooney is a more lethal striker than Aguero because he scored more goals in the premier league?

Just now, eastynh said:

Aguero scores a goal every 106.5 minutes, Harry Kane scores every 120 minutes and Henry 121 minutes. Shearer is every 146 minutes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mancity.com/news/mens/sergio-aguero-minutes-per-goal-63726692

Shearer did score more goals in the premier league than Aguero. So has Rooney and Andy Cole. Yet Aguero's record is far better than all of them. Are you saying Rooney is a more lethal striker than Aguero because he scored more goals in the premier league?

To be honest Easty I'm just trying to get you to consider the world outside of Manchester City FC. I don't really have a dog in any fight, I just enjoy skewering the humourless, one-eyed, overly serious fans of big clubs who feel they need to aggressively promote their club and players and are incapable of hearing arguments to the contrary...

Aguero is one of the best PL strikers ever, as was Shearer, as Rooney, Cole, Henry, etc. The phrase "best ever" is moot and pointless as there are any number of metrics you can use to support your desired choice.

If he continues scoring at his current rate then Kane will beat all of them on every metric anyway.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

To be honest Easty I'm just trying to get you to consider the world outside of Manchester City FC. I don't really have a dog in any fight, I just enjoy skewering the humourless, one-eyed, overly serious fans of big clubs who feel they need to aggressively promote their club and players and are incapable of hearing arguments to the contrary...

Aguero is one of the best PL strikers ever, as was Shearer, as Rooney, Cole, Henry, etc. The phrase "best ever" is moot and pointless as there are any number of metrics you can use to support your desired choice.

If he continues scoring at his current rate then Kane will beat all of them on every metric anyway.

If I had been saying Kompany was the greatest ever cb to play in the premier league, then you might have a point regarding me being myopic.

But we were discussing Aguero and Shearer. Shearers record is nowhere near as good as Agueros.

Even if Kane continues at his current rate, it will still not match up to Agueros, as his scoring rate is nowhere near Agueros level.

Now a different and probably nore interesting discussion is whether Shearer or Kane would have exceeded Aguero if they had played in these City teams. I don't think Henry would have. Although a more elegant player, he played in teams at the same level as City, but his record is not as good. The other 2 is open to debate.

As for you winding fans of big clubs up, I don't ever see you being negative towards anyone but City. 

2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

As for you winding fans of big clubs up, I don't ever see you being negative towards anyone but City. 

You might wanna ask yourself why that is... As I've said before, it's the fans that take it all oh so seriously and cannot accept any digs at their club that interest me.

Said before that I lived in Manchester for years and I actively liked City, went to Maine Rd a few times, saw them in the early days of the Etihad... but they are not that club any more. They're just another testament to the wrongs and excesses of modern football. Their soul went when they won the Saudi jackpot.

How a great strikers of the PL era conversation doesn't include Drogba beyond a passing mention by a Chelski fan is beyond me. Definition of a big game player, terrorised Arsenal, Spurs, Man U, the cups. Not ridiculously prolific in terms of goals/game, but a complete striker and his goals came when it mattered.

29 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

How a great strikers of the PL era conversation doesn't include Drogba beyond a passing mention by a Chelski fan is beyond me. Definition of a big game player, terrorised Arsenal, Spurs, Man U, the cups. Not ridiculously prolific in terms of goals/game, but a complete striker and his goals came when it mattered.

Legend. Probably our best ever player.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

You might wanna ask yourself why that is... As I've said before, it's the fans that take it all oh so seriously and cannot accept any digs at their club that interest me.

Said before that I lived in Manchester for years and I actively liked City, went to Maine Rd a few times, saw them in the early days of the Etihad... but they are not that club any more. They're just another testament to the wrongs and excesses of modern football. Their soul went when they won the Saudi jackpot.

Well as a fan who went religiously through the worst of times, I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that winning the jackpot is infinitely better than what we went through.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Great player and should definitely be in the conversation. Drogba scored heavy goals.

Edited by eastynh

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Legend. Probably our best ever player.

In terms of performances in the big games, when it counted, Drogba to me trumps all other strikers in the PL. Aguero comes close and was certainly more consistent over a season, but there was almost an inevitably to Drogba rising to the big moments. Every cup game or title 6-pointer it was Drogba that won the trophies for Chelsea.

Spent far too much time rolling around feigning injuries for me to like him mind.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

Great player and should definitely be in the conversation. Drogba scored heavy goals.

Heavy goals, and IMO the most complete striker of them all. Hold-up play, assists, physical power, pace. An absolute beast. Just went a bit missing in some of the smaller games.

P

3 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

In terms of performances in the big games, when it counted, Drogba to me trumps all other strikers in the PL. Aguero comes close and was certainly more consistent over a season, but there was almost an inevitably to Drogba rising to the big moments. Every cup game or title 6-pointer it was Drogba that won the trophies for Chelsea.

Spent far too much time rolling around feigning injuries for me to like him mind.

9 goals in 10 cup finals is a sensational record. I agree when we talk about big game players, he is at the very top.

He was not without his faults. Sent off in the 2008 Champions League Final, gave away a penalty in both the 2012 Semi Final and Final... But you would always want him leading your line when push came to shove. I think the rolling around was a big part of his game when he arrived. The fans weren't hugely fussed and I think he wanted to leave too. As time went on though, he adapted to the English game and mastered it completely.

He terrorised Arsenal for years and Wembley was practically his back garden.

1 hour ago, lost said:

Thing about Shearer is 4 years at Southampton, 4 at Blackburn and 10 at Newcastle. His total would be miles better if he hadn't knocked Utd back twice.

For all the factor that Newcastle never won anything, when Shearer was there we were challenging for titles and regulars in Europe, and playing attacking football. I'm not sure his goal tally would have been that much higher at Man U, albeit his trophy cabinet would be.

5 minutes ago, jyoung said:

P

9 goals in 10 cup finals is a sensational record. I agree when we talk about big game players, he is at the very top.

He was not without his faults. Sent off in the 2008 Champions League Final, gave away a penalty in both the 2012 Semi Final and Final... But you would always want him leading your line when push came to shove. I think the rolling around was a big part of his game when he arrived. The fans weren't hugely fussed and I think he wanted to leave too. As time went on though, he adapted to the English game and mastered it completely.

He terrorised Arsenal for years and Wembley was practically his back garden.

The level of dark arts when you've got Drogba in a Mourinho team was sickening, but the skill and dominance was something to admire.