Football 2020/2021

zahidf

4 minutes ago, eastynh said:

No chance the 68 team went down, they were shit hot. Thats when we used to spank United all the time.

No that shit hot, you only got top 10 once the 6 seasons following the 68 side. 68 the start of the demise of mancunian football for many years. 

37 minutes ago, thetime said:

Just not in the league. 

Like I said apart from Liverpool, teams were topsy-turvy in those days. 

Liverpool were not winning much in the 60's. They were a second division team, going absolutely nowhere, till they were bought and fubded by pools money.

4 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Liverpool were not winning much in the 60's. They were a second division team, going absolutely nowhere

They still won more titles than the great city team of the 60s, the same as the great United side of the 60s. 

Edited by thetime

19 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I've just stopped caring if we go down. I think it'd be max 2 seasons in the Championship any time we do, along with hopefully some wins and a better manager. It also might spark Ashley to sell cheaper. These endless miserable relegation battles and turgid football have turned me off almost as much as VAR.

I'm still somewhat surprised we managed only a single season after the 2009 relegation, given there was every possibility we could've got stuck in the Championship quagmire with an unsustainable wage bill and an inexperienced head coach. And instead we crushed it.

But that may have also been due to an assertive playing squad that we probably wouldn't have this time. Certainly, this season has been a chore. It's also puzzling. On paper we should be better than the 13th achieved last season despite having no consistent striker and instead we've just gone backwards.

13 hours ago, thetime said:

EuyAzSsXEAISn3p.png

That's not much of a surprise tbf given Liverpool last season just crushed the whole thing. They had 77 points after 25 games in 20219/20, which is 16 points more than Manchester City currently have, which probably says a lot about how more open this season has been. Or more accurately had been, given anything other than a City title win is now probably a long shot.

31 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I'm still somewhat surprised we managed only a single season after the 2009 relegation, given there was every possibility we could've got stuck in the Championship quagmire with an unsustainable wage bill and an inexperienced head coach. And instead we crushed it.

But that may have also been due to an assertive playing squad that we probably wouldn't have this time. Certainly, this season has been a chore. It's also puzzling. On paper we should be better than the 13th achieved last season despite having no consistent striker and instead we've just gone backwards.

TELEMMGLPICT000211373566_trans_NvBQzQNjv

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

I genuinely think Hughton's the 2nd best coach we've had since Sir Bobby (1st being Rafa). His record since is nothing to shout about, but it's not like anyone else has shone either. He completely played into the squad we had, worked out how to get the best out of them, and several players that were good under him haven't been good anywhere since (Carroll). 

Joke aside, I do think he's a large part of why we've been worse this season. Particularly the regression of Lascalles, he just looks a completely different player to under Benitez and first half of last season. Not sure how much of it is covid and how much is Bruce, but it's worrying. The squad we have now, is to me, the best we've had since finishing 5th with Ba/Cisse/Cabaye/Tiote all in form. Bruce just can't create attacking synergy. At least he's not signing Man U cast offs for us like he has at every previous club, but I think he's an awful manager.

Bit of a topic change but how do we stop players diving?

Clear case of simulation in the Leeds game tonight. VAR rightly ruled the penalty out but because it went to VAR there was no consequence for the attacking player making the dive as yellow cards can’t be awarded by VAR.

We had the same happen in the Arsenal game. Saka clearly dived and penalty was rightly revoked but no action against the player because it was a VAR decision. If Saka had been booked for that blatant dive then maybe he wouldn’t have gone down so easily for the penalty that was awarded a few minutes later which had a significant impact on the match result. 

Right now players know they can dive and get away with it because VAR can’t penalise them. 

Should VAR be allowed to hand out yellows or can retrospective cards be awarded after the game which can then result in suspensions. 

Personally I think they should be able to retroactively award 1 match bans for a clear dive after the game once they’ve analysed the footage. It can’t be done during the game as it would take up too much time. Red cards and suspensions can be awarded after the game for dangerous play, the same should apply for diving. 

It’s the only way to stamp it out now while the refs hands are tied to VAR.