Football 2020/2021

zahidf

30 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

They also won a lot of titles with the likes of O'Shea, Fletcher, Brown playing 2/3 of the season. In the 20-odd years of near dominance there were only about 4 years of having 15 top quality players in the squad. 

Man u were the masters of the fluky ugly wins. There were a few years of scintillating football amidst that, but it was rare. Even Mourinho with his 1-0, 2-0, 1-0, 1-1 cycle had chelski playing better football in 04/05.

20 years of fluky wins, come on now thats a bit harsh. 

54 minutes ago, thetime said:

20 years of fluky wins, come on now thats a bit harsh. 

Fergie time. Old Trafford penalties. Scholes barely getting red cards. There's plenty of things that favoured Man U to getting better results than their football suggested.

That's not to say they weren't one of the best teams in the country for that period, they were, but the "title winning teams know how to win when they're not playing well" concept was perpetuated over that 20 years. Every trophy winning team gets some luck along the way, but there's a pretty wide consensus that Fergie's Man U got the rub of the green on a regular basis.

10 hours ago, eastynh said:

You only have to watch them play to see they will not be contenders. Can't beat the big teams, got an awful defence, play terrible football, relying on deflected goals and penalties to win matches. They have all the big teams away in 2nd half of season and have to balance that with Europa League. Every time it comes to the crunch they get beat. They were high fiving themselves for being top of their Champions League group half way through, how did that work out for them?

Last time I checked deflected goals and penalties are worth the same as wonder goals. A one goal win gets you the same points as a thrashing.

8 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

They also won a lot of titles with the likes of O'Shea, Fletcher, Brown playing 2/3 of the season. In the 20-odd years of near dominance there were only about 4 years of having 15 top quality players in the squad. 

I think you mean this as a criticism of Ferguson’s United.

Edited by Comfy Bean

19 hours ago, thetime said:

So the top teams you beat are in 9th and 11th. Oh ok. 

Blimey there's a lot of we should of beat them there. 😀

Since when did the table after 15 games matter? Chelsea and Arsenal will both finish higher than their current positions. United were top of their Champions League group half way through it, remind me how that one worked out?

17 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Man u were the masters of the fluky ugly wins. There were a few years of scintillating football amidst that, but it was rare. Even Mourinho with his 1-0, 2-0, 1-0, 1-1 cycle had chelski playing better football in 04/05.

Brown, Fletcher and O'Shea were better than what they have in their first team now. So is Johnny Evans. Quite ironic how he has ended up at Leicester while United spent a world record fee on his defensive partner

12 hours ago, eastynh said:

Since when did the table after 15 games matter? Chelsea and Arsenal will both finish higher than their current positions. United were top of their Champions League group half way through it, remind me how that one worked out?

Brown, Fletcher and O'Shea were better than what they have in their first team now. So is Johnny Evans. Quite ironic how he has ended up at Leicester while United spent a world record fee on his defensive partner

I'm convinced your account on here is just a wind up, pep has spent 410m on defenders in 4 years. 

On 1/12/2021 at 7:56 PM, priest17 said:

Well done Sheffield, there's plenty of season left.

As a pessimistic Newcastle supporter, I want to say I'm surprised Sheffield United's overdue win coming against them was a surprise, but given our poor form, sudden collapse in goalscoring ability and general lifetime of being disappointed by them...

We're starting to creep into the relegation battle equation. Almost like John Carver in 2015 again.

6 hours ago, mcshed said:

Probably this bit:

I was talking about the irony of United breaking the world record fee for a defender by buying Maguire, when they originally had Johnny Evans, who is arguably the better player. It had nothing to do with City or Pep what so ever.

If we are getting onto spending, no one in world football has spent as much money as United since Ferguson retired. In that time they have 0 titles. United fans should look a little closer to home before criticising anyone elses spending as they spunk more cash than anyone else.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

I was talking about the irony of United breaking the world record fee for a defender by buying Maguire, when they originally had Johnny Evans, who is arguably the better player. It had nothing to do with City or Pep what so ever.

If we are getting onto spending, no one in world football has spent as much money as United since Ferguson retired. In that time they have 0 titles. United fans should look a little closer to home before criticising anyone elses spending as they spunk more cash than anyone else.

The thing is if you ask majority of united fans, they know they have wasted a lory load of cash. 

I've said on here many many times, the transfer policy was the main issue. Its no coincidence that it is much better since ole took over. 

Johnny Evans was awful near the end of his time at united, also united fans are pleased he is found well. 

1 minute ago, thetime said:

The thing is if you ask majority of united fans, they know they have wasted a lory load of cash. 

I've said on here many many times, the transfer policy was the main issue. Its no coincidence that it is much better since ole took over. 

Johnny Evans was awful near the end of his time at united, also united fans are pleased he is found well. 

So why do the Glazers get so much abuse?  United spend more money than practically anyone else and they don't meddle in the football side of things. Yet they seem to be a target for constant abuse.

Just now, eastynh said:

So why do the Glazers get so much abuse?  United spend more money than practically anyone else and they don't meddle in the football side of things. Yet they seem to be a target for constant abuse.

Possibly the amount glazers take out of united, over a billion quid in there back pockets. 

Boards get criticised when they don't bring success. City and Chelsea being different animals, as they know they are very lucky to have the owners they have. 

City have spent most since pep arrived hasn't he? He's a bit of a lucky manager, that it doesn't matter if his signings are a success or not. He's never going to get sacked as City manager for his failings.

12 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Because the club is getting loaded with debt all the time. They're taking the earnings and spending from loans.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go the way of Leeds at some point. 

22 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

That's because Bruce's attacking plans have been "pass it to Saint Maximum or kick it against a player for a corner". With him out with COVID we've not got any threat.

You can tell he knows he's not doing well, given he started today's presser ahead of the Arsenal match by calling the Sheffield United performance "absolutely frigging hopeless - absolutely shite". Which in fairness is true.

It seemed as though Bruce and Saint-Maximin weren't in the best mutual place though before the squad covid outbreak, but I'm aware that our season has been in a downward spiral since then. But even then, we're just too defensive.

I know a few people will happily go its because "Oh those Newcastle fans just want attacking football in order to get into the Champions League every year" but its not even working on its own terms. Defensive football is a means to an end, and this is just terrible defensive football.

23 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Because the club is getting loaded with debt all the time. They're taking the earnings and spending from loans.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go the way of Leeds at some point. 

When that team in red crash they will crash harder than Leeds ever did. They are over half a billion in debt. When they lose champions league qualification for multiple seasons then the debts will get called in. 

They won’t suffer the same fate as Leeds though, Premier league has things in place now to stop clubs going bust after relegation. They will have to sell pretty much everything though. 

16 hours ago, charlierc said:

You can tell he knows he's not doing well, given he started today's presser ahead of the Arsenal match by calling the Sheffield United performance "absolutely frigging hopeless - absolutely shite". Which in fairness is true.

It seemed as though Bruce and Saint-Maximin weren't in the best mutual place though before the squad covid outbreak, but I'm aware that our season has been in a downward spiral since then. But even then, we're just too defensive.

I know a few people will happily go its because "Oh those Newcastle fans just want attacking football in order to get into the Champions League every year" but its not even working on its own terms. Defensive football is a means to an end, and this is just terrible defensive football.

Bruce got a hefty transfer budget and the result is Joelinton and kicking the ball at players for corners. Rafa is a defensive manager, but at least the counterattack was great to watch and it was effective. 

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

When that team in red crash they will crash harder than Leeds ever did. They are over half a billion in debt. When they lose champions league qualification for multiple seasons then the debts will get called in. 

Even for a leeds fan, you don't half talk a load of bollox.