Football 2020/2021

zahidf

42 minutes ago, jyoung said:

The Mason Mount slander 🤦‍♂️

As someone who hasn't watched him much for Chelsea outside highlights packages, I'd be interested to hear what makes him a polarising player. Putting him in the same bracket as Pickford is clearly harsh, but the same would also be true for an incontinent donkey.

I just haven't seen much from him that suggests he is or will become a top class player? Albeit from limited viewings, but I'm not seeing anything special in him. 

Edited by kaosmark2

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

This and Grealish's flick the other night 🔥

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

This and Grealish's flick the other night 🔥

It is ridiculous to think he is only 20. He is absolutely rapid as well, people don't appreciate how fast he is. 

@eFestivals Neil where do you stand on Foden now? How do you assess his current situation in regards to playing time at City and the England squad/team? He is still not a regular for City (he should be now imo as he has looked City's most dynamic player this season)

Also what do people think England's attack and midfield should be? 

5 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders is a joke. With the amount of attacking talent England have, it is absolutely shambolic England play with so many defensively minded players. Even more mind numbing that we are also playing said players out of position. 

Pickford

Walker            Maguire.                Dier.             Saka

Rice

Foden.                   Mount

Sterling.                                                 Grealish

Kane

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

@eFestivals Neil where do you stand on Foden now? How do you assess his current situation in regards to playing time at City and the England squad/team? He is still not a regular for City (he should be now imo as he has looked City's most dynamic player this season)

I've not seen much of him, but when i have he's not shown himself as spectacular in any shape or form.

I accept that's likely to be a consequence of the matches I've seen him in, as they've not been any of the games where people have raved about him afterwards ... but that does also suggest his performances might be a little erratic (tho that erratic might just be cos he's still a youngster who might get more consistent as he gets older as players often do).

40 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I'd like to see a similar formation Man U play given a go with Henderson and Rice in the holding positions and 3 of Sterling, Grealish, Foden, Sancho playing behind Kane.                                            

10 hours ago, lost said:

I'd like to see a similar formation Man U play given a go with Henderson and Rice in the holding positions and 3 of Sterling, Grealish, Foden, Sancho playing behind Kane.                                            

If United do it then England need to do the total opposite. 

21 hours ago, eastynh said:

It is ridiculous to think he is only 20. He is absolutely rapid as well, people don't appreciate how fast he is. 

5 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders is a joke. With the amount of attacking talent England have, it is absolutely shambolic England play with so many defensively minded players. Even more mind numbing that we are also playing said players out of position. 

Pickford

Walker            Maguire.                Dier.             Saka

Rice

Foden.                   Mount

Sterling.                                                 Grealish

Kane

That's a perfectly fine team, but I think England have had better. Lacking in players with trophies and much big match experience. Then again probably no worse than the portugal team who won the last Euros.

20 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

I would much rather have Mings than Dier. 
Simple fact is we’re short on quality, especially in terms of replacements. 
Also, and I know this will make pt laugh, we’re short on leaders. 

Looking back at France 2018, portugal 2016 did they have many leaders. I am not blind to the importance of leadership, that France team between 98 and 00 was full of leaders, they are one of the best international teams of my life. My point related to leadership is more the frenzy about who is England, liverpool, man u captain, when it really (apart from the pay boost) makes no difference.

9 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

That's a perfectly fine team, but I think England have had better. Lacking in players with trophies and much big match experience. Then again probably no worse than the portugal team who won the last Euros.

England have had a lot better teams. You only have to go back 20/25 YEARS, Steve Bruce never got a cap and Le Tissier only got 8. Le Tissier was easily better than any player in this England squad and Bruce was head and shoulders above any cb we currently have. 

I don't think the standard of International football is that great at the minute. Not sure whether it is still the case, but Belgium were the NO 1 ranked team in the world. They would be fighting for Europa League if they were a Premier League team imo. 

9 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Looking back at France 2018, portugal 2016 did they have many leaders. I am not blind to the importance of leadership, that France team between 98 and 00 was full of leaders, they are one of the best international teams of my life. My point related to leadership is more the frenzy about who is England, liverpool, man u captain, when it really (apart from the pay boost) makes no difference.

I think it does make a difference. The loss of Kompany has been astronomical for City. Although not important like in cricket, a good captain and leader still counts for a lot of the football field. You felt safe with Kompany leading the team out. 

Edited by eastynh

32 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I think it does make a difference. The loss of Kompany has been astronomical for City. Although not important like in cricket, a good captain and leader still counts for a lot of the football field. You felt safe with Kompany leading the team out. 

I think losing Kompany harmed city because he was a leader, but not because of the captaincy. If he hadn’t been captain he would still have been the same leader.

13 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I think losing Kompany harmed city because he was a leader, but not because of the captaincy. If he hadn’t been captain he would still have been the same leader.

Not sure that's right really. The whole squad took on a whole new dimension after Tevez started being a knob and Vincent got the armband. It gave him a lot more gravitas, not just on the field, but off it as well. It was the making of him. 

23 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Not sure that's right really. The whole squad took on a whole new dimension after Tevez started being a knob and Vincent got the armband. It gave him a lot more gravitas, not just on the field, but off it as well. It was the making of him. 

Do you think a player like Blanc wouldnt have been leaders for France in 1998 because they didn't wear an armband? My view is that leadership is important, but captaincy is not. 

Some captains have leadership skills and some have none. Some teams/nations just give it to the longest serving player.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Do you think a player like Blanc wouldnt have been leaders for France in 1998 because they didn't wear an armband? My view is that leadership is important, but captaincy is not. 

Some captains have leadership skills and some have none. Some teams/nations just give it to the longest serving player.

I am trying to think of occasions where the most natural leader in the team did not get rhe captaincy. Maybe Shane Warne in cricket?

Generally your best leader is your captain and the best captains do make a difference.

2 biggest I can think of at City are Andy Morrison and Vincent Kompany. Both made a massive difference to the club when given the captaincy.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

I am trying to think of occasions where the most natural leader in the team did not get rhe captaincy. Maybe Shane Warne in cricket?

Generally your best leader is your captain and the best captains do make a difference.

2 biggest I can think of at City are Andy Morrison and Vincent Kompany. Both made a massive difference to the club when given the captaincy.

I think that's the "English/British" way of thinking of the captaincy. However I know overseas it is often not treated with the same importance. They will often just give to longest serving player or best player, may be the biggest leader but may not.

I don't think there is a country who gets close to England in terms of frenzy about the international captaincy.

Andy Morrison has been linked to the Wrexham job the last couple of times it's been available. Done a good job in Welsh league, but can't think of many who have made the jump across the border.

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

Cricket is a completely different beast, and the captaincy makes a huge difference as they're responsible for tactics on the field, bowling changes, etc.

I'd very much argue there area several more "natural leaders" in the current England test team than Root, or than Cook before him, but there's both the conventional wisdom that a batsman is usually captain, and the different nature of responsibility. 

I would generally agree with PT, although I do think there are times that the symbology of giving someone the captaincy helps drive them in as a player. Some centre backs might not feel comfortable organising the defence without it. But in general, it's a gesture in football, and not a lot more than that.