Football 2020/2021

zahidf

Great signing that is for Villa.

I think most clubs will struggle to sell fringe players this window, especially with so much uncertainty around when we'll be allowed fans back in stadiums etc. Massive revenue stream gone. Most signings have been absolutely necessary with the occasional world class signing. 

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Great signing that is for Villa.

I think most clubs will struggle to sell fringe players this window, especially with so much uncertainty around when we'll be allowed fans back in stadiums etc. Massive revenue stream gone. Most signings have been absolutely necessary with the occasional world class signing. 

I don't know about Barkley, I would be surprised if he is better than average for them, maybe that's good enough.

13 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I don't know about Barkley, I would be surprised if he is better than average for them, maybe that's good enough.

On his day he's great, haven't watched enough of him to know how consistent he is but that couldn't have been easy at Chelsea as he was in and out of the team.

He's certainly better than what they currently have though, Grealish aside.

1 hour ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

You think he'll be asking if he's got Bamfords mobile number?

Why? Calvert Lewin is far better than Bamford.

Bamford is a journey man striker who is on a decent run. Calvert Lewin has always looked a more than capable striker. What was holding Calvert Lewin back was that he was practically a one man band up front, battling central defenders, for a team that struggled to create chances. Its no coincidence that once Everton added creativity, that Calvert Lewin started bagging.

Now I have only seen Bamford once in the flesh and he actually scored against us. Yet, he looked slow, not particulary great at holding up the play, not a great touch and poor in front of goal. He wandered round shrugging his shoulders and going missing. On the occasions he has been on TV, he has done nothing to change my mind. Where as Calvert Lewin looks up for the challenge, regardless of who the opposition is.

I would play Sterling up front for  England before Bamford.

Edited by eastynh

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

Why? Calvert Lewin is far better than Bamford.

Bamford is a journey man striker who is on a decent run. Calvert Lewin has always looked a more than capable striker. What was holding Calvert Lewin back was that he was practically a one man band up front, battling central defenders, for a team that struggled to create chances. Its no coincidence that once Everton added creativity, that Calvert Lewin started bagging.

Now I have only seen Bamford once in the flesh and he actually scored against us. Yet, he looked slow, not particulary great at holding up the play, not a great touch and poor in front of goal. He wandered round shrugging his shoulders and going missing. On the occasions he has been on TV, he has done nothing to change my mind. Where as Calvert Lewin looks up for the challenge, regardless of who the opposition is.

I would play Sterling up front for  England before Bamford.

Agreed, I think it would be wrong to judge Bamford on a purple patch ignoring what came before, you may end up with Marcus Stewart. My instinct is that CL also has more potential to improve.

39 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Agreed, I think it would be wrong to judge Bamford on a purple patch ignoring what came before, you may end up with Marcus Stewart. My instinct is that CL also has more potential to improve.

Purple patch? Isn't that what Calvert-lewin is on? Before this season his ratio was  1 in 4. Bamford admittedly at a lower level, is much higher than that. 

Edited by thetime

20 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I would personally take Mcginn over Barkley.

I think McGinn is a player. Celtic were in for him before Villa but tried to negotiate Hibs down from 3million. 

He was keen to move but Hibs wouldn’t budge on the price and Villa stepped in.

I see his value as way above 3m now so Celtic not for the first time looking daft trying to get players up here on the cheap.

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

Drogba did well there for chelsea.

I was just thinking about Drogba stats after you mentioning Calvert-Lewin' and with Drogba doing the draw.

Now I am not comparing C-L with Drogba in any way, I just want to emphasise that stats can be misleading. 

Now Drogbas stats are very good, but they are not world class. Yet, Drogba was far more than his stats, he was the fulcrum and most important part of that Chelsea team. He scored heavy goals in big big matches and his performances show that stats can be misleading.

Calvert-Lewin' stats may be nothing spectacular as of yet, but your eyes should tell you he is a far better player than Bamford. He is quicker, faster, stronger, more intelligent, better on the ball and a better finisher than Bamford. Upto now, he has been used as a wrecking ball by Everton. Ancelotti has changed that and he now plays in front of goal, rather than chasing lost causes in the channels.