Football 2020/2021

zahidf

14 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

The truth is, you cannot make a handball rule a binary decision (because otherwise teams would look to induce handballs, or players would be allowed to handle the ball). 

Spurs had their last kick of the game by kicking it against the arm of a Newc defender. Looked like that's what they were trying to do, too.
(was outside the box, and no handball was given).

But for the teams that can't shoot straight, there's fuck all point aiming for someone's arm. :P 

45 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

It’s both, and the third issue is poor implementation of a shit rule by shit officials - who aren’t helped by VAR.

The truth is, you cannot make a handball rule a binary decision (because otherwise teams would look to induce handballs, or players would be allowed to handle the ball). 

VAR is crap for any decisions that aren’t binary. Therefore officials, whether referees or otherwise, are making a subjective decision. Which leads to inconsistency. Which is no improvement to life before VAR and actually is a change for the worse due to the long delays it causes. 

Fair points.

I just think VAR works well when I watch other leagues and most of the time in the CL. Which would lead me to believe the main issue is the way it is being implemented here. Whether that is our referees or the law makers is another conversation though I guess.

57 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I disagree, the rules are trying to fit in with a world of VAR. Previously we didn't aim for this level of perfection and football was better for it.

It needs to be similar to try scoring decisions in Rugby league. Was the contact intentional and did he have any control over his arms or was he even aware of the ball coming towards him. I’ve seen many tries disallowed because while the player may have made contact with the ground he had lost control of the ball. Video ref works for rugby very well, you know what the decision is going to be before it is declared. 

I can’t remember what the opposition to VR was like when Superleague began but I imagine it was pretty similar to this but instead of arguing about it in the pub with your mates the conversations are all over the internet. 

VAR will take time to settle down and so will new rule changes. It’s not as simple as if the ball hits the arm then it’s a handball. It has to be a judgement call by the referee making the decision. 

The rule is here to stay for this season at least, all we can hope for is that refs try to get a better understanding of how to apply the rule. As long as they all agree to act on decisions equally then we have nothing to complain about. 

Anyone know what the record is for most penalties in a single season of the premier league? I think it will be smashed this season. 

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I don't know what the stats are, but City seem to have huge problems coming from behind.

It never used to be a problem. We just look a yard too slow all over the pitch. We are very one paced. They is no dynamism in our squad any more. From having a clutch of world class players, we now only have KDB.

Once the injuries clear up, we should have enough for a 2nd place finish. We look miles away from Liverpool though at present.

23 minutes ago, thetime said:

You can't imagine pep picking players up from Hull, Southampton or Newcastle.

Yup.

The Hull and Newc ones are particularly interesting, cos they were players signed from clubs being relegated. My own view on players from relegated clubs is to always swerve them.

I guess that's why I'm not a Prem winning manager. :P 

(to be fair, Pep has just signed Ake from B'mouth.)

Edited by eFestivals